Mobile menu

Best way to deal with many matches in TagEditor?
Thread poster: Jenni Jelse

Jenni Jelse  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 19:06
Member (2007)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Jan 16, 2009

Hi everyone,

How would you normally deal with a file that has a lot of matches, to make sure you don’t spend too much time reviewing them?

I find it difficult to keep track of the different matches in TagEditor when going through the file several times, which I normally do when translating. It’s easier in Word, as you can look at the tags in the actual file with the original match percentage for each segment.

Would it be a good idea to pre-translate and lock matches, and then include them for a final review of the whole file? Or is there some other good way?

I use Trados 7.1.

Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 20:06
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
I don't quite understand Jan 16, 2009

If you get a less than 98 % match in TE it means something could be wrong and needs editing. But once you have decided its ok there should be no need to look at it again unless you notice a mistake, change terminology etc.
But it could be possible to use color coding, but I cannot find out how to do it. Perhaps someone knows.
Or you could switch to SDLX.

Regards
Heinrich

Sweden
Member (2007)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
One more try Jan 16, 2009

I suspected it wouldn't be quite clear

When I translate I usually go through the text three times - once for a rough translation, another time to edit extensively, and a third time to do a final check before proofreading just the target on paper.

When there are a lot of matches that means I have to open each segment three times, even though I only really need to look at the matches once to make any necessary changes, since they are more or less OK.

In Word, this isn't so much of a problem as it is very clearly indicated in the tags in the Word doc if it was a 100 % match, or a fuzzy, to start with. Doesn't matter how many times I go through the file or open a segment, the original match is always clear.

In TagEditor, when I go through the file a second or a third time, I find it hard to keep track of which segments are "mine" and which are from the original TM. I can look at TWB to see who the original translator was, but that doesn't apply to fuzzies.

I thought of colour coding as well, but I am not sure it works in TagEditor. I don't normally use this feature in Word either.

I would much rather use SDLX for this, definitely, but I don't think I can with this project.

I'm not sure this is any clearer. Since nobody else seems to have this same problem, I'll probably just have to get on with it as best I can...

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Look at the segment delimeters in Tageditor Jan 16, 2009

They provide exactly the same information, as in Word - between the source and target you see a delimeter with the number according to the match quality.

BTW, I do prefer proofreading on paper. Takes less time.

Sweden
Member (2007)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Where? Jan 16, 2009

Really? In TagEditor, not just in TWB?

I also proofread on paper, but I check against the source in TagEditor.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
In the middle between source and target text in segments Jan 16, 2009

Just look at the screen shot:

Sweden
Member (2007)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Aha! Jan 16, 2009

Ah, why did I never notice that before??? I always looked for it for an open segment, but of course it's not visible when the segment is actually open.

Thanks so much, that should make things much easier in the future!

By the way, is there no way of locking pretranslated segments in Trados, that is the only way to skip them is by extracting the unknown text?

You'd think I'd know Trados a bit by now after all these years, but apparently not so much...

Thanks again!!

Renée van Bijsterveld  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Protect perfect match units Jan 16, 2009

You can lock pretranslated full matches in Tageditor: choose Tools > Options > Protection tab > check Protect PerfectMatch units (XUs) and check Restore XU protection when closing segment.

Another way to make it easier to spot fuzzies and your own translations is this: I make a copy of the TM, than I translate my file with the original TM. For the next phase (the extensive editing phase) I go through the translated file using the copy of the original TM. In that way it's easy to see what was my own translation and what was in the TM as a full or fuzzy match.

Hope this helps
Renée

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:06
English to French
+ ...
You can use attribute fields Jan 17, 2009

Another way to go about this - both in Word and in TagEditor - is to use attribute fields. Attribute fields are also very useful for a number of different applications, not just keeping track of multiple 100% matches.

What you would do is use the existing TM the first time around. When you do your first round of reviewing, you can set up an attribute field that would identify the stage of the workflow you are at at the moment. Perhaps the field Workflow with attributes such as First review, Second review and Final proofreading would do the trick. So, when you first translate, you would use no attribute field, during the first round of reviewing you would use First review, during the second review round you would use Second review and during the final proofreading you would use Final proofreading. These attributes are automatically added to the segments as you set and close them, so you don't have to worry about them. Just make sure you remember to switch the attributes when you start a new round of reviewing/proofreading.

If you set up attribute fields and use them, then each time a segment is opened, Workbench displays the attributes of the proposed translation unit. This means that, while you are working on the second review, if the match proposed by Workbench is from the first review, Workbench will tell you that, and you will know if you need to edit it or browse to the next 100% match.

If you set up penalties for attribute fields, the job is more or less automated. Using penalties for attribute fields, you will still get those 100% matches, but those that have attributes that differ from the ones you are currently using will instead show as 98% matches (the default penalty value is 2% - you can set this to the value you feel comfortable with). So, if you come across a 100% match, then you know that you can just confirm it and move on to the next segment without further investigating it, because that means that the proposed translation unit's attributes match the ones you are currently using.

If, for example, you are working on the second review and the translation unit proposed by Workbench comes from the first review, it will be proposed as a 98% match (or the value you set up for penalties).

Since 100% matches appear in green and all other match types appear in yellow, you will also be visually averted to whether the attributes match or not. When you come across a 98% match (or the penalty value you set up), you know that the segment comes from another stage of the review, and will then have the chance to simply accept that match, edit it or browse to another similar match in Workbench. But when you come across a 100% match, you can safely set and close the segment, knowing that the 100% match you accepted is current.

I hope this helps. If anything, it will get you to explore the handy attribute field and penalty settings.

Sweden
Member (2007)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 17, 2009

Thanks so much, now I have lots of stuff to experiment with!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best way to deal with many matches in TagEditor?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs