How to migrate SDL Trados 2007 Freelance from old PC (XP) to new one (Vista)
Thread poster: Marc Leduc
Marc Leduc
Marc Leduc  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:30
Member (2003)
English to French
Jan 24, 2009

I have read a similar topic here but I don't know what to do regarding the migration of my license (permanent). When I use the License Manager, my Borrow or Return button is dimmed (not activated).

I have installed the program on my new Vista PC (trial version), but I am then asked to locate the license file? May I copy this file from the old PC to the new one? Where is it located? If I choose to active the license online on my new installation, I suppose SDL Trados will refuse it s
... See more
I have read a similar topic here but I don't know what to do regarding the migration of my license (permanent). When I use the License Manager, my Borrow or Return button is dimmed (not activated).

I have installed the program on my new Vista PC (trial version), but I am then asked to locate the license file? May I copy this file from the old PC to the new one? Where is it located? If I choose to active the license online on my new installation, I suppose SDL Trados will refuse it since the license is for the old PC...

It is a shame there are no clear instructions on SDL Trados site for explaining this process in a satisfactory manner!!

Thank you,
Marc Leduc
Collapse

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:30
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
License Manager -> View Activated Licenses Jan 24, 2009

Hi Marc,

ignore those options, meant for multiple licenses on a server. in your License Manager click on "View Activated Licenses", a window opens, then click on the license you wish to return (on the name/number on the very left side), the "Return license" button will activate. After that click on it and wait until you get the confirmation that your license was successfully returned.

Once your license is returned, you can install your SDL Trados 2007 on a new PC.
... See more
Hi Marc,

ignore those options, meant for multiple licenses on a server. in your License Manager click on "View Activated Licenses", a window opens, then click on the license you wish to return (on the name/number on the very left side), the "Return license" button will activate. After that click on it and wait until you get the confirmation that your license was successfully returned.

Once your license is returned, you can install your SDL Trados 2007 on a new PC.

Giuliana

P.S. In order to re-activate your license (normally you are prompted to do so, an extra window pops up, where you have various options, buy, activate....), simply open the License Manager and click on the "Activate Online" button.

[Edited at 2009-01-24 17:56 GMT]
Collapse

Lars Hoej
Lars Hoej  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 12:30
English to Danish
+ ...
Freelance license Jan 24, 2009

Hi,

I just did that. All it took was to install Trados on the new pc, then use license manager and enter the SAME licence key use on the old pc. Trados Freelance may be used on more than one pc, so you don't have to return its licence.

Kind regards
Lars

Marc Leduc
Marc Leduc  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:30
Member (2003)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Trados works on more than one PC Jan 24, 2009

It would be great to accomodate at least 2 PCs...
Thank you,
Marc

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to migrate SDL Trados 2007 Freelance from old PC (XP) to new one (Vista)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »