Letters with Umlauts changing into Chinese characters when a segment is opened
Thread poster: nruddy
nruddy  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:00
German to English
Jan 25, 2009

Hello,

I am running Trados 2007 Freelance on Windows XP Professional SP3. The languages installed are English, German and Spanish. A very annoying problem occurred a few days ago that I don't know how to resolve. Translating from German to English, when I open a segment the letters containing Umlauts and sometimes the letter around them turn into Chinese characters, not just in the segment in question but also in the entire paragraph. I have reinstalled Trados, so I have the latest build, and I also "repaired" Office, but the problem is still there. It has also happened with two different files using two different translation memories.

I suspect that something got corrupted in Word (rather than it being a Trados problem) because I can edit the file without problems on an old laptop running Trados 2006, but I don't really know what to do. Has anyone had this problem and, if so, how did you solve it?

Thanks for any help,
Niamh

Direct link Reply with quote

Gabi Franz
Local time: 14:00
English to German
Try changing the Font Jan 25, 2009

Hi Niamh,

The problem is probably caused by an (Asian) double byte font. Try changing the font to something like Arial before translating, this should solve the problem.

Cheers,
Gabi

Ulf Norlinger  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 14:00
English to Swedish
+ ...
Non-existent font or Font not supporting special chars Jan 26, 2009

I have experienced a similar problem. In my case it was due to a font not installed into MS Word. (Even if you have the font installed it must support special characters, like Umlauts).

Or the font table can be corrupted. If so, try to reinstall the font you are using.

[Edited at 2009-01-26 01:03 GMT]

nruddy  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:00
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jan 27, 2009

I am still not sure what caused the problem, but the fonts were ok in this case. We solved it yesterday by doing a system restore.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Letters with Umlauts changing into Chinese characters when a segment is opened

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums