Mobile menu

How can I work with more than 1 translation memory open?
Thread poster: Pavel Tsvetkov

Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 21:40
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

Jan 25, 2009

The question says it all: can I open and work with more than one translation memory at the same time? How can it be done? I know there are work-arounds like creating a project-specific translation memory, importing other translation memories into it and using this new translation memory, but can multiple translation memories be opened directly?

Direct link Reply with quote

Friderike Butler  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:40
German to English
+ ...
Multiple TMs at the same time Jan 25, 2009

You can create specific TMs for specific clients as well as general TMs and you can reference to all or a selection TMs at the same time.

I assume that you know how to create new TMs. To open additional TMS, go to the Menu Bar and select Translation Memory>Configure Multiple TMs. That brings up a new window where you can add additional TMs and where you can specify whether you want to Lookup the information, Update all or any TM automatically and whether you want the Concordance (F7) to work for all or just specific TMs.

Hope this helps.

Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Which translation environment are you referring to? Jan 25, 2009

Friderike Butler wrote:

I assume that you know how to create new TMs. To open additional TMS, go to the Menu Bar and select Translation Memory>Configure Multiple TMs. That brings up a new window where you can add additional TMs and where you can specify whether you want to Lookup the information, Update all or any TM automatically and whether you want the Concordance (F7) to work for all or just specific TMs.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your answer. However, which program are you referring to: Translator's Workbench, Tag Editor, Synergy? Where is this "Menu Bar>Translation Memory>Configure Multiple TMs" located?

United States
German to English
+ ...
Working within SDLX Jan 25, 2009

This all happens within SDLX while you are working with your ITD file.

Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Unfortunately, I am not interested in SDLX. Jan 25, 2009

Friderike Butler wrote:

This all happens within SDLX while you are working with your ITD file.

Thank you for your answer.

Unfortunately, I am not interested in SDLX. I use Translator's Workbench and Word, and Synergy, although there are frequent mistakes with Synergy.

So, do you know of a way to open and work with multiple TM in this environment?

Thank you.

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:40
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Reference (read-only) translation memory Jan 25, 2009

In Translator's Workbench, choose the first TM as normal, and then go to Options / Translation Memory Options / Concordance / Reference (read-only) translation memory, where you can set the second TM. This will be the reference TM. Several options (including "Search first in reference translation memory") are available in the same window. Completed segments will be added to the primary TM only.
HTH
Attila

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
2 TMs only: Translation and Reference Jan 25, 2009

can I open and work with more than one translation memory at the same time?

No, you can't. You can only specify a second translation memory for concordance searches.

Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
2 is the limit? Jan 25, 2009

Thank you, Attila and Hynek!

So, 2 TM is the best one can do? I have noticed that if the project is handled through Synergy, several (no limit) TM can be associated with the project... whatever that means.

Any thoughts on that?

United States
German to English
+ ...
Have you ever tried working with SDLX? Jan 25, 2009

I have worked with Trados and with SDLX and find SDLX to be much more flexible and user-friendly for most texts, especially for Word documents. You can work with as many TMs as you want and easily create look-up glossaries for each project or specific clients on the fly.

Just as an FYI...

Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
. Jan 25, 2009

Friderike Butler wrote:

I have worked with Trados and with SDLX and find SDLX to be much more flexible and user-friendly for most texts, especially for Word documents. You can work with as many TMs as you want and easily create look-up glossaries for each project or specific clients on the fly.

Just as an FYI...

Thank you for your answer.

SDLX may as well be the better choice, however how many clients request it? Not many. So, unfortunately, the applicability of SDLX is also "client dependent".

United States
German to English
+ ...
SDLX is Trados compatible Jan 25, 2009

Most of my clients either simply want the target document in the same format as source document, but I have several who prefer the unclean Trados files. Since I don't like working with Trados for many reasons I manipulate their Trados files to work in SDLX and then simply create unclean files directly from SDLX. Took a little bit of getting used to in the beginning, but after running through the conversion process a couple of times, I find the benefits well worth the extra steps. Just for what it's worth here are the things why I like working with SDLX:

Spell checker works for the entire document and you can easily run the entire translation through the spell checker and grammer checker after you are done and before converting it to a translated document.

You have the entire source and target document side by side and can easily scroll up and down for reference.

Working with multiple TMs and various glossaries (only one at a time, but it is easy to toggle between several glossaries if necessary) is very easy.

The only time SDLX is not my tool of choice is for complicated XML source documents, HTML code and highly formatted docs with a gazillion embedded graphics.

Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
köszönöm (= thank you) Jan 26, 2009

Attila Piróth wrote:

In Translator's Workbench, choose the first TM as normal, and then go to Options / Translation Memory Options / Concordance / Reference (read-only) translation memory, where you can set the second TM. This will be the reference TM. Several options (including "Search first in reference translation memory") are available in the same window. Completed segments will be added to the primary TM only.
HTH
Attila

Hi Attila, this information is very useful
köszi: Erzsi

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Synergy Jan 26, 2009

I am not sure about TMs in Synergy because I don't use it, but you should be able to find the answer in Help.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
merge Jan 26, 2009

Sadly, Trados is limited to 2 TMs as already mentioned. It's quite laughable but not too difficult to get around. You can export yout TMs and import them into a master TM in minutes, even if they contain tens of thousands of TUs.

Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Laughable it is. Jan 26, 2009

FarkasAndras wrote:

Sadly, Trados is limited to 2 TMs as already mentioned. It's quite laughable ...

Agree.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I work with more than 1 translation memory open?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs