Inserting placeables with Autohotkey
Thread poster: Jabberwock

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 11:03
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Jan 26, 2009

This would be probably most useful for those who already use AHK scripts when working with Trados...

In my very personal opinion the method of inserting placeables in Trados is plain stupid. In 99% of cases you just need to insert them sequentially, so what you need to do is (let's assume Alt+Ctrl+Down) inserts the next placeable in sequence, starting with the first one):

Write text [Alt+Ctrl+down] write some more [Alt+Ctrl+down] write even more [Alt+Ctrl+down]

Unfortunately, Trados wants you to do:

Write text [Alt+Ctrl+down][right] write some more [Alt+Ctrl+right][right] write even more [Alt+Ctrl+right][right]

First, you have to use two different shortcuts to enter the placeable and remember if it's the first one or not, then you have to press the right arrow, as the placeable is selected when inserted and typing will overwrite it... Not very smart.

Below is a AHK script that somehow helps with that. Please note that „intelligent” placeable insertion is possible only if the segment has been opened with the AHK Set/Close Next Open/Get shortcut. Of course, you might also add a shortcut for just Open/Get (or just Open) and put the „opened = 1” instruction there as well. The same principle will work with terms, you just have to use different shortcuts and another variable for the opened segment.

Code:

; This is a shortcut for Set/Close Next Open/Get - in my case it's Alt+j, but you might use another

<!j::
{
opened = 1
Send !{Numpadadd}
}
return

; This is a shorcut to place next placeable and clear the selection - in my case it's Alt+k,
; but it can be anything else
<!k::
if opened = 1
{
opened = 0
Send {Alt Down}{Ctrl Down}{Down}{Ctrl Up}{Alt Up}{right}
}
Else
{
Send {Alt Down}{Ctrl Down}{right}{Ctrl Up}{Alt Up}{right}
}
return

[Edited at 2009-01-27 10:48 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks a lot! Jan 27, 2009

Honestly I never gave this much thought, although we do work around tags all the time. We use Autohotkey for SetCloseOpenGet and to look for new/edited segments (we add a little mark to each edited or new translation) and SetClose them. But Autohotkey is very powerful indeed with Trados and TagEditor!

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
CODE is not working... Jan 27, 2009

For some reason the BBCode for CODE was not working... I have edited it again.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Inserting placeables with Autohotkey

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs