Adding an entry from MultiTerm causes Java "null" error
Thread poster: Alan Frankel
Alan Frankel
Alan Frankel  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:21
German to English
Jan 26, 2009

I have a brand-new installation of MultiTerm (just downloaded the Trados 7 Freelance suite this past Friday). After creating a termbase, when I go to the "Entry" menu and select "Add", I get an error window with a title "Windows Internet Explorer" and an error dialog window that says only "null". I click "OK" and see "java.lang.NullPointerException". Clearly, something is very wrong. I don't see other people reporting this problem.

[I thought I had another problem where Microsoft
... See more
I have a brand-new installation of MultiTerm (just downloaded the Trados 7 Freelance suite this past Friday). After creating a termbase, when I go to the "Entry" menu and select "Add", I get an error window with a title "Windows Internet Explorer" and an error dialog window that says only "null". I click "OK" and see "java.lang.NullPointerException". Clearly, something is very wrong. I don't see other people reporting this problem.

[I thought I had another problem where Microsoft Word couldn't seem to find this termbase, but I eventually figured out that I had to go into "Terminology Recognition Options" to set the termbase.]

Where do I go from here? I didn't buy a special support agreement from SDL, but I must be entitled to some form of support from them because there seems to be a bug here. At the very least, their error-handling is deficient.

In terms of version information: When I choose "Help/About", I see the following info:

"MultiTerm 7.5.0.444 - (Build 448) ... This is a component of SDL MultiTerm 2007."

Any guidance would be welcome.

[Edited at 2009-01-26 23:01 GMT]
Collapse

Ulf Norlinger
Ulf Norlinger  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 18:21
English to Swedish
+ ...
MultiTerm incompatibility with JAVA release Jan 27, 2009

(From SDL knowledge base)

Problem:

When you try to add or edit and then save a termbase entry in SDL MultiTerm 2007 Desktop, a Microsoft Internet Explorer dialog box is displayed with the message null.

When you click on Ok the following message java.lang.NullPointerException is displayed.

---
Explanation:

This behavior is caused by the install of Update 10 and 11 of JAVA 6 version (Java Runtime Engine/JRE) and how Sun Java t
... See more
(From SDL knowledge base)

Problem:

When you try to add or edit and then save a termbase entry in SDL MultiTerm 2007 Desktop, a Microsoft Internet Explorer dialog box is displayed with the message null.

When you click on Ok the following message java.lang.NullPointerException is displayed.

---
Explanation:

This behavior is caused by the install of Update 10 and 11 of JAVA 6 version (Java Runtime Engine/JRE) and how Sun Java technology handles automatic updates.

JAVA 6 has introduced a "next generation Java plug-in" is producing these errors in SDL MultiTerm and this is the reason for this error:

SDL MultiTerm 2007 has been developed and tested with JRE 1.5_10 and is not compatible with JRE version 6 Update 10 and 11. However, as of JRE 5.0 Update 6, it is no longer possible to specify the exact JRE release and SDL MultiTerm is forced to use the latest version of Java, even when an earlier version is installed. For more background information, please consult the SUN Microsystems Release Notes.

---
Resolution:

Alan, do this to correct your your problem.

If you have JAVA 6 Update 10 and/or Update 11 version installed, you need to disable the "Enable the next-generation Java plug-in" feature.

To fix this problem:

Click Start and then select Control Panel from the menu. The Control Panel is displayed.
Double-click on Java. The Java Control Panel is displayed.
Click on the Advanced tab.
Clear the Enable the next-generation Java plug-in check box.
Click OK to save your changes and close the Java Control Panel.
Reboot your PC.

The error messages should not appear anymore and you are able to work with your termbase again without problems.
---

[Edited at 2009-01-27 01:48 GMT]
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 11:21
Spanish
+ ...
Multiterm Jan 27, 2009

I had the same problem. Actually, I've had it twice for each time I installed Multiterm. Try deleting this file: MultiTerm7dot.xml, then restart everything again.

I don't remember exactly how I fixed it because I did a lot of things, so something must have worked. What I do remember is that I found the fix in this thread: Yet another Multiterm 2007 glitch.

Where do I go from here? I didn't buy a special support agreement from SDL, but I must be entitled to some form of support from them because there seems to be a bug here. At the very least, their error-handling is deficient.

Been there, thought that. But that's not how SDL does things--it's very frustrating.

You might also want to check the Knowledge Base from your SDL account, but IMHO these forums are far more helpful.

Good luck.

Claudia

[Edited at 2009-01-27 01:55 GMT]

Alan Frankel
Alan Frankel  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:21
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Ulf's suggestion fixed the problem Jan 27, 2009

Thanks a lot, Ulf, that fixed the problem! Now when I go to the SDL knowledge base ( http://talisma.sdl.com -- I've bookmarked it), I see that the question/answer pair that you quoted is listed under the "hot topics". I don't know why I didn't see it there before. Perhaps it wasn't "hot" a few hours ago? It might have just crossed over the threshold, since it is near the bottom of the "hot" list.

Than
... See more
Thanks a lot, Ulf, that fixed the problem! Now when I go to the SDL knowledge base ( http://talisma.sdl.com -- I've bookmarked it), I see that the question/answer pair that you quoted is listed under the "hot topics". I don't know why I didn't see it there before. Perhaps it wasn't "hot" a few hours ago? It might have just crossed over the threshold, since it is near the bottom of the "hot" list.

Thanks also, Claudia, for your suggestion. However, I don't have any files ending in *dot.xml on my machine, and I wasn't seeing the same type of problems that some of the people saw in that thread. It could well be that in the time since those people wrote their posts, SDL fixed the problems. My download is effectively brand-new.

Thanks again, both of you!
Collapse

Ulf Norlinger
Ulf Norlinger  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Only glad to help Jan 27, 2009

You are right, I couldn't see it either among the "hot topics".

Robert Schlarb
Robert Schlarb  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Word of thanks Feb 2, 2009

I became aware of this problem for the first time today (I don't open up MultiTerm often). Not finding any help in the SDL Trados Knowledge Base (is there an indexing issue here?), I checked here and... of course, there was Ulf's answer.
This is not the first time I have found the only really helpful Trados help at proz.
Many thanks

Robert

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Ulf, your No 1 Feb 11, 2009

++

Thanks

Dialekt
Dialekt  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2007)
English to Polish
+ ...
The good-news domino rolls on Feb 12, 2009

I was stuck with very same problem. Thanks to Vito (who found this thread and gave me a hint) and thanks to Ulf the problem is gone. Thank you both - your help is certainly appreciated.
Wojciech

Dietger Houben
Dietger Houben  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Superb help Ulf Aug 25, 2009

+++
Thanks a lot!!

LingCom
LingCom
Argentina
Local time: 13:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks ulf! Oct 10, 2009

Thanks for your help! I had the same problem and could solve it now!

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not always the solution Oct 11, 2009

Ulf Norlinger wrote:
If you have JAVA 6 Update 10 and/or Update 11 version installed, you need to disable the "Enable the next-generation Java plug-in" feature.

In theory this should work, but in fact (at least in my environment, with SDL Multiterm 2007 on Vista), the only final solution was to uninstall (from the Control Panel) all versions of Java other than the 1.5 version originally expected by Multiterm.

I had tried everything else (the next-generation thing, the memory-more-than-the-physical-memory thing, etc. etc.) with no success, and the only solution was to uninstall Java 1.6 and anything else later than 1.5.

Kim Sanderson
Kim Sanderson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:21
German to English
+ ...
Java changes - best way to fix this now? Apr 29, 2010

Dear all

I am very grateful to have found this thread

(same info. on Trados Knowledge Base Article ID: 2362)

However, I can't follow the instructions as it seems Java has changed and I can't find the check box to 'disable the "Enable the next-generation Java plug-in" feature'.

Any ideas what I can do?

NB I'm not using Windows Vista

Kim

Tansy Tazewell
Tansy Tazewell  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
German to English
Same problem Jul 9, 2010

I had the same problem, but every time I try to uncheck the box in question, I get an error message saying that (to translate the German roughly) "Java Plug-In settings cannot be changed because at least one browser is being used". This happens when nothing else is open - even when I have just rebooted!

Does anyone have any suggestions about what I could do here? I have Trados 7.0.0615 and Multiterm 7.1.0.361 running on Windows XP.

Thanks

Tansy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Adding an entry from MultiTerm causes Java "null" error

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »