Problem with french accentuated characters in TagEditor
Thread poster: Sebastien Richer
Sebastien Richer  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:07
English to French
+ ...
Jan 27, 2009

Hello,

I'm an english to french translator and I'm having some difficulty with my current TagEditor project in TTX file format. For some odd reason, all the accentuated characters don't show when the TM proposes me a match. If I look in the workbench window, the text is displayed correctly, but in the actual document, these characters (é,à,ç and others) only show up as a question mark. If I press the get translation button, it doesn't correct the problem. This has never happened to me before and I do not know how to fix this, it's very time-consuming to have to insert back all these characters. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Thank you.

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:07
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
What is your source file? Jan 27, 2009

Did you create the ttx file on your own?

English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's the client's Jan 27, 2009

No I didn't, it's the client's file. I've worked for this client many times before, this has never happened before. Even the translations I've done as part of this project still don't appear correctly when the TM suggests it as a match.

Here's a screen capture that might help understand my problem better :

Photobucket

As you can see, the text in my document doesn't appear correctly. yet the TM window displays it properly.

[Edited at 2009-01-27 17:06 GMT]

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
The problem is the ttx Jan 27, 2009

I assume.
Usually people do not pay much attention to the correct settings wgen creating the ttx.
Was this a Framemaker file?
Did the customer change from version to a newer one?
If it is not Framemaker, was the option for displaying formatting and font mapping in filter options switched off?

English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm not sure Jan 27, 2009

I can't say whether or not this uses Framemaker, and I don't remember seeing any settings unselected when I started. How do I verify this?

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Open the ttx file in Notepad and read what is written in file heading Jan 27, 2009

then you will know everything about it.

English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ok Jan 28, 2009

I opened the document in Notepad and it doesn't say it was made with Framemaker. This is what's showing :

Photobucket

It seems it was made using TagEditor, and it's the same version of TE than the one on my computer.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with french accentuated characters in TagEditor

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs