Paloma K.
Paloma K.
Ireland
Local time: 02:20
Spanish to German
+ ...
Jan 28, 2009

Hi!

Could somebody please tell me how I can merge two segments in TagEditor (it's a .ttx doc) when e.g. a sentence has been split into two individual segments and I would like to have only one? Is there a possibility to do so?

I use SDL 2007 / TagEditor Version 8.0.

Thanks in advance!

Ildiko Laskay
Ildiko Laskay  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Expand segment Jan 28, 2009

My version is older, but I guess the immediate solution must be the same: expand segment /Alt+Ctrl+PgDn or in the menu(Workbench)/.
In the future you can also customise your segmentation rules and abbreviation lists if necessary.

[Módosítva: 2009-01-28 06:05 GMT]

Effie Emmanouilidou
Effie Emmanouilidou  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:20
English to Greek
Deactivate document protection. Jan 28, 2009

I agree with Ildiko.

If however, Tageditor won't let you do it, go to Tools > Options > Protection and deselect the check boxes that protect the document and/or tags. Then you will be able to expand/shrink segments without any problems.

Effie

Paloma K.
Paloma K.
Ireland
Spanish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jan 28, 2009

Thank you guys for the answer!

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:20
English to French
+ ...
Addendum Jan 28, 2009

I just wanted to add that, when you are working on a file that was already translated (typically while reviewing), the target segments already contain text, in which case Trados will not allow you to expand segments. The no-brainer workaround is to delete the content of the segments you want to merge, merge them and only enter the translation once the segment is whole.

[Edited at 2009-01-28 20:16 GMT]

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Please note, that you may not merge segments, which are in separate paragraphs Jan 28, 2009

as otherwise you will destroy the document structure.
What I mean is also, that the function "Expand segment" will simply not allow you to do that. You might of course switch off document protection and manually try to remove a line in order to get the segments together. But don't do that! This is the worsest thing you could do!
This said, it is still possible to merge segments even if they have been horribly segmented. What you have to know and to observe is, what are the consequenc
... See more
as otherwise you will destroy the document structure.
What I mean is also, that the function "Expand segment" will simply not allow you to do that. You might of course switch off document protection and manually try to remove a line in order to get the segments together. But don't do that! This is the worsest thing you could do!
This said, it is still possible to merge segments even if they have been horribly segmented. What you have to know and to observe is, what are the consequences of what you are doing.
To merge segments where segmentation is gonna mad, switch off document protection (now be careful: any careless change may destroy your document) and use cut and paste. That's quite easy - you cut & paste sentences together exactly as you need them. But remember: for most formats you may not leave a segment completly empty, so it is recommended to insert a blank (space) there (only when working with Powerpoint: you MUST enter something else then blank - enter three question marks for example, you will easily find them in PPT afterwards and delete). What are you in fact doing? You are modifying the source in this case. What consequences does it have? That your target does contain empty segments - so you will find for example empty lines in Word containing just a blank or empty boxes in PPT with ??? inside. Just delete them afterwards and you're done. But what when you do not create the target? Well - then the person who is doing the final processing will have to delete them. But to be honest - he/she should have prepared the text better then. So if they don't do their job properly upfront, they will have to do it afterwards.
Collapse

Paloma K.
Paloma K.
Ireland
Spanish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jan 28, 2009

Thank you again, people! I couldn't expand the segments since there was already some content in it (if that was the reason...). Anyway, I didn't have to do it in the end... Might try out your tips soon anyway for future projects

Thanks!

Museop Oh
Museop Oh
South Korea
Local time: 09:20
English to Korean
I have same question Oct 23, 2009

Hi, everyone,

Example: If removing upper part, go to step 8.

This example is one sentence, but is splited to two segments in TagEdior due to the tags.

How can I make them one segment?

Thanks in advance.

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Paragraph? Oct 23, 2009

Hello,
you cannot expand a segment beyond a paragraph. So, if the sentence is split into two paragraphs (such as in OCR-ed documents), there is no way merging the two segments into one.

Museop Oh
Museop Oh
South Korea
Local time: 09:20
English to Korean
Thank you, Mr. Stanislav Pokorny Oct 25, 2009

Really? Is there no solution for my problem?

Thanks a lot, anyway.

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
No solution Oct 25, 2009

Hi,
I'm afraid there is really no solution to your problem, but removing the excessive paragraph mark from the original document and opening the edited original document in TagEditor again.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Switch off the document protection Oct 25, 2009

and use cut & paste PRIOR to opening any of those two sentence parts.
Ie, if:
looks like
Example: If removing upper part, <br>
go to step 8.
where <br> represents a paragraph mark, please mark "go to step 8.", press CTRL+X, place the cursor after "If removing upper part," (exactly BEFORE the paragraph break tag) and press CTRL+V. Then open the segment and translate as usual.
The empty line will r
... See more
and use cut & paste PRIOR to opening any of those two sentence parts.
Ie, if:
looks like
Example: If removing upper part, <br>
go to step 8.
where <br> represents a paragraph mark, please mark "go to step 8.", press CTRL+X, place the cursor after "If removing upper part," (exactly BEFORE the paragraph break tag) and press CTRL+V. Then open the segment and translate as usual.
The empty line will remain empty.
This works for nearly all formats.
Only if you translate Powerpoint you MUST enter a character instead of "go to step 8.", because otherwise you will not be able to convert the text back.
When translating InDesign a test is necessary - simply save the file (ttx) BEFORE using cut&paste, then do what I've described above and - without saving the TTX! - use "Save target as..." to try if the conversion works.
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
switching off doc protection in Studio Oct 25, 2009

Hi Jerzy,
Is there any possibility of unlocking doc protection in Studio?

I know this is a bit off-topic, as it isn't about Tag Editor, but it directly relates to your previous comment.
Thanks,
Emma

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Merging" segments/sentences in TagEditor

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »