Mobile menu

can't eliminate leftover tags in cleaned document
Thread poster: Lisa Mann
Lisa Mann
Spanish to English
Jan 28, 2009

I have translated a document in Trados 7 and cleaned it up, but there are still two or three tags in the cleaned text that I can't get rid of...has this ever happened to anyone? What should I do?

Direct link Reply with quote

Angela Dickson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:23
French to English
+ ...
Word Jan 28, 2009

I assume you're working in Word? Go to the Trados menu at the top of the screen and click on 'Toggle Tag Protection'. You should just be able to delete them then.

I think it's happened to me from time to time, and just indicates that something small went wrong when you were translating. As long as all your text is there you don't need to worry.

Lisa Mann
Spanish to English
good idea - I found another solution as well Jan 28, 2009

Thanks Angela. Actually just after I posted my question I stumbled upon another solution. I went to the format cell in Word (I don't know if that's what it's called, right next to the box that tells you what font you're using) and when I selected the tags it said "tw4winmark" I simply changed the tag to another format from the list and deleted it...easy peasy.
Thanks again!

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:23
Member (2003)
German to English
Another method Jan 28, 2009

Occasionally I see documents that used to be uncleaned Word files from Trados job which the clueless customer has simply overwritten. This results in broken segments (all hidden text, of course) and a real mess, making the document unworkable with Trados.

The simple solution in MS Word is to use the find & replace dialog to replace all hidden text with nothing (empty replacement field). If you look at the extra options in that dialog, you'll see the option for selecting text characteristics (in the Foint subdialog).

Yossi Rozenman  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:23
English to Hebrew
+ ...
And another method Jan 28, 2009

Reset the text formatting (Trados style) to the underlying formatting by pressing Ctrl+Space. Then you will be able to delete the text.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

can't eliminate leftover tags in cleaned document

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Translators like you are producing higher quality translations faster with Lilt!

After years of research at Stanford University, Lilt has introduced a revolutionary new tool that will change the way you translate. Lilt learns how you translate to give you more personalized suggestions. Be more productive today! Use it FOR FREE!

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs