https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/126268-clean_up_crashed_log_file_empty.html

Clean up crashed - log file empty
Thread poster: Dorothy Schaps
Dorothy Schaps
Dorothy Schaps  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:52
Member (2010)
German to English
Jan 29, 2009

Hi everyone,

I'm having a bit of trouble with cleaning up the TM after translating in TagEditor (although in this instance I don't think the TE is at fault).

I had 39 files to clean up last night and - being a clean-up virgin so to say! - I thought it would take an hour maybe... It actually took about four hours! Right at 80% complete (file 29 out of 39) it froze and died and refused to respond - so I cursed it and went home!

This morning I cleaned up the
... See more
Hi everyone,

I'm having a bit of trouble with cleaning up the TM after translating in TagEditor (although in this instance I don't think the TE is at fault).

I had 39 files to clean up last night and - being a clean-up virgin so to say! - I thought it would take an hour maybe... It actually took about four hours! Right at 80% complete (file 29 out of 39) it froze and died and refused to respond - so I cursed it and went home!

This morning I cleaned up the last 10 or so files that hadn't been cleaned, made a seperate log file and everything is fine. There are no errors in the log file and I have English .inx files as well as the billingual .ttx files that were cleaned.

The weird thing is that the log file for the first clean-up is empty! However, I do have 29 files English .inx files for the clean-up that crashed. Basically the clean-up seems to have work and yet it hasn't....

Has anyone experienced this before? Is it bad that the log file is corrupted? And most importantly how can I be sure that the TM was updated? Does the presence of the English .inx files alone prove that it was?

Another question that has also occurred to me is this: What is the point of the option "Save Target As..."? In my case I started with German .inx files which I opened in TE and translated into English. I then saved the English version using "Save Target As..." and then saved the bilingual version as a .ttx file. What makes me wonder though is that on clean-up you load the bilinigal .ttx files and Trados automatically creates English .inx files. If it is done automatically on clean-up why should I use "Save Target As..."? I think I could have saved a heck of a lot of time just saving the bilingual .ttx files and generating the English files on clean-up. Is this recommended?!

Thank you so much for any help or advice you might be able to give - I am very new to this thing!

Dot .

PS. Can anyone recommend a guide/tutorial for the TagEditor? I have tutorials in my Trados folder for Trados, Trados Synergy and WinAlign but nothing for TE... Thanks again!
Collapse

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Here's a couple of pointers Jan 29, 2009

Cleaning up .inx files can be one of the most excruciating experiences with Trados because there are many things that can go wrong.

Seeing that it took you so long and assuming you have a fairly up-to-date PC, would I be correct to assume the files you cleaned were on a network drive? I've found that the cleanup of these files takes significantly less time if I copy them to my local hard drive first.

It seems the Trados
... See more
Cleaning up .inx files can be one of the most excruciating experiences with Trados because there are many things that can go wrong.

Seeing that it took you so long and assuming you have a fairly up-to-date PC, would I be correct to assume the files you cleaned were on a network drive? I've found that the cleanup of these files takes significantly less time if I copy them to my local hard drive first.

It seems the Trados log file is not written progressively as the cleanup process is working, but instead only once the entire procedure is finished. This is unfortunate because it doesn't allow you to see how far it got or whatever errors occurred before the crash, and which files these errors pertained to.

Are you sure the first 29 .inx files are all in English now? Did you open them all to check that? The mere presence of the file doesn't necessarily indicate that it got cleaned up successfully (nor that the TM was updated).

Save Target As... allows you to quickly convert individual files back to their original format without having to go through the whole cleanup process. Maybe you just want to have a look at something in InDesign without updating the TM etc. just yet.

For multiple files, the cleanup is actually faster, as you just specify a list of files and the computer does the rest. The function that actually writes your translations into the .inx files is the same, regardless of whether you used Save Target As... or cleaned the file up using Workbench, so there's no time to be saved there. Plus, Saving Target As... does not update the TM.

I would highly recommend you to periodically save the bilingual (.ttx) version of files you are working on in TagEditor - just click the floppy disk icon on the toolbar to do so - your .inx file will not be touched until you use Save Target As.. or the cleanup feature in Workbench.

HTH,

Benjamin

P.S.: One last tip - whenever you perform a large cleanup like this, be sure to use the opportunity to reorganize your TM afterwards [File->Reorganize]. This underdocumented function is necessary to ensure your TM does not become fragmented and eventually corrupted over time!
Collapse

Dorothy Schaps
Germany
Member (2010)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jan 29, 2009

Hi Benjamin,

Thanks so much for your tips and explainations!

I did check all the .inx files from the first clean-up and they definitely are all English - does that mean the TM was updated? I would assume so...

Yes, I was doing the clean-up via our server, which unfortunately is necessary as Trados is installed there and not on my actual computer (it's not the best system in the world!). So that could explain why it took so long.

Thanks for th
... See more
Hi Benjamin,

Thanks so much for your tips and explainations!

I did check all the .inx files from the first clean-up and they definitely are all English - does that mean the TM was updated? I would assume so...

Yes, I was doing the clean-up via our server, which unfortunately is necessary as Trados is installed there and not on my actual computer (it's not the best system in the world!). So that could explain why it took so long.

Thanks for the "Reorganise" tip as well - I just tried to do that and the "Reorganise" function in the file menu is greyed out... =/ On my colleague's computer it is also greyed out but our other colleague has this function - so we were able to reorganise the TM in question. The "Setup", "Import" and "Export" options are also greyed out on my computer - can you explain that at all?

Anyway thank you so much once again for your help! I think our project is fine!

Dot .
Collapse

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Answers Jan 30, 2009

Hi Dot,

I'm glad to hear your project turned out alright.

Yes, if the files are all English, it's safe to assume their contents are in the TM as well.

That you were doing the cleanup on another computer doesn't matter - the drive the .inx files need to reside on for fastest processing must be local relative to that, then (that computer's c: drive would be a fairly safe bet.)

The explanation for
... See more
Hi Dot,

I'm glad to hear your project turned out alright.

Yes, if the files are all English, it's safe to assume their contents are in the TM as well.

That you were doing the cleanup on another computer doesn't matter - the drive the .inx files need to reside on for fastest processing must be local relative to that, then (that computer's c: drive would be a fairly safe bet.)

The explanation for the grayed-out menu items is that the TM must be opened in "Exclusive mode", so that no other users can access it via the network, for these to be enabled.

You set the exclusive mode via a little checkbox in the File->Open dialog when opening a TM.

Benjamin
Collapse

Dorothy Schaps
Germany
Member (2010)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you again! Jan 30, 2009

Benjamin, thank you SO much for all your help! I can now Import, Export and Reorganise! In fact I just tried to Reorganise another TM I used recently and it warned me that it is going to reoganise 28900 records and that "this might take while"! Yikes! I think I'll do it Monday! =)

Why do Trados make these things so complicated?!

Anyway thank you so much for all your help once again, you've been a proper star! =)

Dot .

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Not necessarily updated Jan 30, 2009

The TM hasn't necessarily been updated - if the checkbox 'Update TM' (in the Clean up window) hasn't been selected before proceeding, the TM won't be updated during the process

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Well... Jan 30, 2009

Marie-Claude Falardeau wrote:

The TM hasn't necessarily been updated - if the checkbox 'Update TM' (in the Clean up window) hasn't been selected before proceeding, the TM won't be updated during the process

Sorry, I was just assuming that if the object of the cleanup was to generate target files AND update the TM, Dorothy would probably have that option activated. I think it is the default setting, too.

Benjamin

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Not according to my experience Jan 30, 2009

Every time we welcomed a new translator in the team (fresh Trados installation on their computers), we always had to tell them to tick the option - by default it was never ticked

It's probably pretty safe to assume Dorothy had selected this option, but for clarity's sake (and for any Trados newbie reading this thread in the future) I just wanted to mention it!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Clean up crashed - log file empty

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »