Thread poster: Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 02:14
Spanish
+ ...
Jan 30, 2009

I just created a new TM, which only has 18 segments and only has two languages: American English and International Spanish. I wanted to change one word so I used the Maintenance function; it doesn't work.

This is what I did: I went to Find and Replace, I copied the word from the document I was working on and pasted it on the Find what from the Target language -- I made sure there weren't any extra spaces. Then I added the word I wanted to use on the Replace With field. Nothing happe
... See more
I just created a new TM, which only has 18 segments and only has two languages: American English and International Spanish. I wanted to change one word so I used the Maintenance function; it doesn't work.

This is what I did: I went to Find and Replace, I copied the word from the document I was working on and pasted it on the Find what from the Target language -- I made sure there weren't any extra spaces. Then I added the word I wanted to use on the Replace With field. Nothing happened.

Eventually I went to Filter, clicked on the target language (International Spanish) and added several words that I knew were in the target language (again I made sure there weren't any extra spaces) -- I did the same thing with the source language and used words that I knew were in the source language. No other Criterion was used. None of the words were found.

I have no idea what I might be doing wrong. Everything seems to be working, when I go to Properties, I can see that languages are there, there are 18 segments and I know that the TM is the right one, because when I click Begins Search with no filter selected, I can see all 18 segments.

The only new and unusual thing I noticed, I don't know if it is related to the problem, is that every time I open a new TM from Workbench, the Project and Filter Settings window is opened. This is the screenshot:

Both tabs look the same.

I have Trados eight built 863. I don't know what else to do.

Thanks.

Claudia

[Edited at 2009-01-30 07:28 GMT]
Collapse

Anne Kjaer Iversen
Anne Kjaer Iversen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 09:14
German to Danish
+ ...
How to apply changes to a segment Jan 30, 2009

Hi Claudia,

If you want to change a word in a segment try this:

Press F3 (or go to Tools->Concordance)

Type in a source word in order to find the segment to which you want to apply changes and click search

Now you can right click on the segment flags (both source and target segment) and click "edit translation unit"

This is what I do.

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Wildcards? Jan 30, 2009

When I did my Trados training, they always advised us to use wildcards. For example, if I'm looking for the word "connectivity", I should enter "*connectivity*" in the search field. Otherwise, the system looks for a segment which contains only the word "connectivity" (a 1-word segment, in other words).

Veroniki Velli
Veroniki Velli  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 10:14
English to Greek
+ ...
See below Jan 30, 2009

Hello Claudia,

1. When you try to replace a word, the word is not replaced immediately.
Try to follow these steps:
Go to maintenance.
Be sure there is no Filter selected.
Click begin search.
You should see all your segments.
Go to find and replace. Type the word you want to find in the target language, exactly as it is in the text, and type the word you want to replace it with.
Click ok
Then you will see normally the same window, but o
... See more
Hello Claudia,

1. When you try to replace a word, the word is not replaced immediately.
Try to follow these steps:
Go to maintenance.
Be sure there is no Filter selected.
Click begin search.
You should see all your segments.
Go to find and replace. Type the word you want to find in the target language, exactly as it is in the text, and type the word you want to replace it with.
Click ok
Then you will see normally the same window, but on the top right, you should see a button "Change". If you click on the button, you should see the options "apply the change to the current window" and "apply the change everywhere" (something like this)...The first means that the change you asked will be applied only to the segments you see in the window and the second means that the replacement will be applied everywhere.
Choose what you want...And it should work

2. I think that when you use the Filter function and you enter a word in the Target or Source language, you have to use the symbol * in the beginning and at the end of the term.
ex *term*
If you don't do that and you only type "term", Trados will search for a segment that has ONLY the word "term" and nothing else.

3. Also, as your TM has just 18 segments, it would be easier and more safe, if you just edit directly the segments you want to edit.

To do so, you go to Maintenance, you click begin search, you see all the 18 segments, you go directly to the ones you want to change, you do a left click on the language icon and you see the option "Edit segment". You click on this option and you edit the segment.
I think it is a much more safe solution.

I hope I helped

Regards,
Veroniki
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Wildcards !? Jan 30, 2009

Marie-Claude Falardeau wrote:

When I did my Trados training, they always advised us to use wildcards. For example, if I'm looking for the word "connectivity", I should enter "*connectivity*" in the search field. Otherwise, the system looks for a segment which contains only the word "connectivity" (a 1-word segment, in other words).

++

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 02:14
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wildcards did the trick but Maintenance still doesn't work Jan 30, 2009

Thank you all for your help, specially Veroniki. I used the wilcards and I got the terms changed. However, the Maintenance tool still doesn't work.

One of the points of this feature is to be able to change thousands of terms at once, so having Whole Words checked can be extremely useful. What if I want to modify all instances of the term 'Trados feature', but not 'Trados features' or 'Trados Feature'? I think think that older versions of Trados could do that without the need of work
... See more
Thank you all for your help, specially Veroniki. I used the wilcards and I got the terms changed. However, the Maintenance tool still doesn't work.

One of the points of this feature is to be able to change thousands of terms at once, so having Whole Words checked can be extremely useful. What if I want to modify all instances of the term 'Trados feature', but not 'Trados features' or 'Trados Feature'? I think think that older versions of Trados could do that without the need of work-arounds--I'm not sure.

Of course, there are other tools that can do the job, and probably much better, but still, it would be great be able to maintain a Trados TM directly from Trados.

Thanks again for your help. Have a great weekend.

Claudia
Collapse

Daniel García
Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
You can do it without workarounds Jan 30, 2009

Claudia Alvis wrote:
One of the points of this feature is to be able to change thousands of terms at once, so having Whole Words checked can be extremely useful. What if I want to modify all instances of the term 'Trados feature', but not 'Trados features' or 'Trados Feature'? I think think that older versions of Trados could do that without the need of work-arounds--I'm not sure.

Hi, Claudia,

You are nearly there.

To begin with, when you create filter, it is already case sensitive.

If in the filter you insert *Trados feature* it will not find *Trados Feature*.

Doesn't it work on your side?

You can press the "Help" button from the "Filter" window and you will find this information:
"Note: The Criterion feature is case-sensitive and differentiates between items such as *user-friendly* and *User-friendly*. To ensure that both items are taken into account in your export or maintenance operation, add both to the Constraints list in the Export or Filter dialog box, separated by a logical OR."

Then, after setting the filter and launching the search, you can click the "Find and replace" button. In the "Find and replace" dialog box, you have these two options:

"Match case" and "Find whole word only", which should do the trick, I guess.

I hope this helps!

Daniel

[Edited at 2009-01-30 22:09 GMT]

James (Jim) Davis
James (Jim) Davis  Identity Verified
Seychelles
Local time: 11:14
Member (2022)
Italian to English
Thanks Veroniki Jan 29, 2013

I have the money for a Trados training session, but just no way do I have the time. Why don't they put your post in the help file, charge extra to make up for what they lose in charging training sessions and do everybody a favour?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Maintenance in Workbench can't find any word

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »