MultiTerm won't start - incompatible versions?
Thread poster: Annika Hedqvist
Annika Hedqvist
Annika Hedqvist  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 21:32
Member (2008)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Feb 1, 2009

I'm not used to working with MultiTerm so maybe this is a dumb question, we'll see...

For a test translation I'm about to take I got two different sets of MultiTerm files. I got one folder named MultiTerm5 which contained one .lok and one .mtw file. I also got one folder named MultiTerm6-7 containing one .xtd and one .xml file.

What I have, according to my licence manager, is MultiTerm Desktop, Version 8.0. (I bought Trados in 2007.)

When I try to load the
... See more
I'm not used to working with MultiTerm so maybe this is a dumb question, we'll see...

For a test translation I'm about to take I got two different sets of MultiTerm files. I got one folder named MultiTerm5 which contained one .lok and one .mtw file. I also got one folder named MultiTerm6-7 containing one .xtd and one .xml file.

What I have, according to my licence manager, is MultiTerm Desktop, Version 8.0. (I bought Trados in 2007.)

When I try to load these files in Translator's Workbench I can only see the .mtw file and nothing else. When I click on that .mtw file to open it, I first get a pop-up telling me that Trados Multiterm 5 is not running, do I want to start it? I click OK and get a second pop-up telling me "Could not launch MultiTerm 5. Please start it manually. This gives me yet another pop-up saying (50152): MultiTerm is not running.

Is this just incompatibility between the different versions of MultiTerm or what's going on here? What can I do to open the files?

Grateful for help! Thanks!
Collapse

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 13:32
English to Spanish
You need MultiTerm 5... Feb 2, 2009

Go to my Proz.com profile, and click on tab "Tips & Tricks". Download MultiTerm 5 to your PC (follow the instructions listed there). As soon as it is in place, click on the .lok file sent to you, and you'll have MT 5 running independently of your MT 8. You'll have both of them running (I don't see why they shouldn't get along).

MT8 will still be working with your Workbench (Trados 2007), not so MT5. So, you'll have to refer to this one manually. Anyway, a functional bar may appear
... See more
Go to my Proz.com profile, and click on tab "Tips & Tricks". Download MultiTerm 5 to your PC (follow the instructions listed there). As soon as it is in place, click on the .lok file sent to you, and you'll have MT 5 running independently of your MT 8. You'll have both of them running (I don't see why they shouldn't get along).

MT8 will still be working with your Workbench (Trados 2007), not so MT5. So, you'll have to refer to this one manually. Anyway, a functional bar may appear on your Word doc if the MULTITERM5.dot file goes directly to the Microsoft StartUp folder...

Try it, and work happy.
Collapse

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 13:32
English to Spanish
This is it Feb 2, 2009

In order to paste the translated term on its corresponding place, just click on the bar' smiley face.

Annika Hedqvist
Annika Hedqvist  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 21:32
Member (2008)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Feb 2, 2009

Thanks a lot!

It took some poking around and figuring out, and I had to copy the MTerm-EN.dot file from the TT - Templates folder into the Word startup folder to get the toolbar in Word, but it seems to all be working now.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MultiTerm won't start - incompatible versions?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »