Mobile menu

Word 2007 crashes repeatedly upon moving to next segment (and curly brackets)
Thread poster: Doron Greenspan MITI

Doron Greenspan MITI  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:12
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Feb 3, 2009

I've been enjoying a happy coexistence with Word 2003 and Workbench (SDL Trados 2007, SP2) for a long while, that is UNTIL I bought Office 2007. I have Vista Business with 3GB of memory.

Now, even with the simplest of documents (no objects, just text) and with brand new TMs, Word crashes quite often when I move from one segment to the next.

I have a suspicion that it happens upon moving from a segment on one page of the doc to a segement on the next, but evidence is not conclusive.

After the usual screaming and cursing, when I click on the 'recover document' option in the crash error message, in the reopened document, I get the 'problem' segment open with the good old curly brackets: -{}- .

I spoke to the SDL rep here, and he couldn't find any reference to this in SDL's tech database. Only some recent Word 2007 fix to get the segment-switch faster.

Problem 1 (general):
Why does it happen and how can I avoid it?

Problem 2 (immediate):
Since 'Fix Document' doesn't do a thing, how can I get rid of the curly bracketed segments? (it remains open, and none of the normal actions, Alt+End or Alt+Delete can close it.)

Many Thanks, highly frustrated Doron

Direct link Reply with quote

Local time: 01:12
Member (2007)
English to Polish
+ ...
Same problem Feb 3, 2009

Hi, I have had the same problem with Word Office XP and Trados 7. It crashes and sometimes it cannot even recover the document and displays runtime error etc. However, when it does recover a document usually has a curly bracket, too. I used to cut the bracket and close the segment with ) then move coursor to the next segment manually and open/get - sometimes it works fine, sometimes...

Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:12
English to French
smart tags? Feb 3, 2009

A couple of years ago, the same symptoms occurred with Trados 2006/Word 2003/WinXP (and maybe other combinations), following some automatic Windows update. Search the forums for Smart tags to see more about it. Disabling the Tools>Options>Display tab>Display section>smart tags checkbox solves the problem. I think it was documented in the Trados KB or solved through a Trados update.

If this doesn't fix anything, try formatting the source file in order not to have section/page breaks without hard breaks, just after tables, etc. Basically, you insert hard breaks before every section/page break and after every table, image, etc. and see what happens.

Philippe, happy with his lean 2GB of RAM and WinXP/Word2003/Trados2006

EDIT: you posted about this issue so my post might not be very useful to you...

[Edited at 2009-02-03 10:36 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:12
Trados8.dotm template Feb 3, 2009

Hello Doron,

It is possible that Word 2007 is using the wrong Trados template. Word 2007 requires the Trados8.dotm template and not the Office 2003 template.

Please read the following article and make sure that you copy over the Trados8.dotm template from the SDL Trados installation folder:

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word 2007 crashes repeatedly upon moving to next segment (and curly brackets)

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs