Mobile menu

No connection between Workbench and Multiterm (and some other problems)
Thread poster: Ildiko Laskay

Ildiko Laskay  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 09:20
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Feb 3, 2009

I’ve been installing and reinstalling Trados and Multiterm for quite a long time now. (Windows XP, Microsoft Office 2003, Trados 7.5.0 Build 756, Multiterm 7.1.0 Build 361)

For years everything was fine, then problems started a couple of months ago: out of the blue every single time I opened Word, I got a message: *Please wait while Windows configures SDL Trados 2006 Freelance.* I got the same message every time I tried to print a document into PDF. Now somehow I managed to get rid of this, but there are some other new problems bugging me:

1. When I try to choose Multiterm 7 in Workbench/Options/Terminology Recognition Options, I get the following message: *The selected Term Information Provider returned the following error: (-2147467259): unspecified error.*
2. When I try to search something in Multiterm, I get the following message: *Please make sure that MultiTerm Server is installed on the machine you are trying to connect to.* After another search I get a plain dialogue box saying *Error*. Then the search is completed, though.

Based on similar threads (many people have had similar problems) and everything I could think of, I've tried the following in vain:

- In the control panel I used the ’repair’ function for Trados, Multiterm, .NET Framework and Microsoft Office.
- Before each reinstallation I performed a complete Windows maintenance and corrected the registry.
- I reinstalled msxml 4.0 SP2.
- Of course I registered the program, I tried #_SelfRegister_Desktop file as well.

Now I’m at my wits’ end and I'd appreciate any useful tips. Thank you.

- Now I'm downloading everything from my account on www. translationzone.com again. I presume nothing could be corrupted after having finished.

[Módosítva: 2009-02-03 19:42 GMT]

[Módosítva: 2009-02-03 20:55 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Try this... Feb 4, 2009

Hello Ildiko,

The first thing I would try would be to uninstall all your versions of Java software and then reinstall SDL Multiterm 2007. The steps are as follows:

*Before you do the following please make a backup of your whole termbase folder which you can find under "C:\Document and settings\All Users\Application data\SDL International\MultiTerm\Termbases".

1. Go to Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs
2. Uninstall SDL Multiterm 2007 first
3. Uninstall all Java software from your machine
4. Reinstall SDL Multiterm 2007 and this will install the preferred Java version along with it.

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team

[Edited at 2009-02-04 09:59 GMT]

Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Uninstalling Java Feb 4, 2009

Hello Gareth,

I did as suggested, unfortunately none of the problems have been solved. Do you happen to have any other ideas? Thanks.

Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
For future reference Feb 6, 2009

Finally, the problems have been solved thanks to Gareth.
The steps involved removing MultiTerm, .NET Framework and Java, editing the registry, then re-installing MultiTerm.

Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My conclusion Feb 8, 2009

Since the problems were solved, I've installed a programme with Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0., and as a result, I ran into the same old problems.
This time I uninstalled only .NET Framework 2.0 instead of doing all the steps mentioned above, and now everything works as it should.
So my conclusion: if you have MultiTerm 7.1.0 Build 361 on your computer, you cannot have any programmes requiring .NET Framework other than version 1.0 ...

[Módosítva: 2009-02-08 11:08 GMT]

psicutrinius  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
What about security updates? Feb 8, 2009

This brings up an interesting point:

In fact, you cannot update, at least in Java and the .NET software, because this interferes with Trados.

What then when you receive a security warning from Sun (for Java), or Microsoft for .NET? and they notify that a "critical security patch" (which is not necessarily a "patch", but which more than once is in fact a new installation) is needed?.

I have a patch missing for .NET, which popped up retroactively (after I rolled .NET back to the required version): Bulletin MS07-040, which is deemed critical (but which, in all fairness, according to Microsoft themselves, is a real minefield, plagued with lots of "issues", both during and after installation, so I will not install it, just in case, and not only for TRADOS performance): http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q928365 ).

Still, what about java?. And, are these the only ones with Trados?

The fact that all of a sudden, you find that you can't edit an entry in multiterm and then find out that you must deactivate updates to java and roll back any you may have introduced is a BUG for Trados, and this should be fixed, sending the patch straight from SDL to everybody concerned, with an explanatory note. This should be no problem: They know who has bought what (and spam you accordingly).

Nice weekend for everyone.

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Too much eggs in one basket... Feb 8, 2009

psicutrinius wrote:

This brings up an interesting point:

In fact, you cannot update, at least in Java and the .NET software, because this interferes with Trados.

It's possible but it's very hard to do it properly.
As I localize .Net applications, I have almost all .Net versions on my machine, patched and kicking.
Many restarts and a very strict installation procedure are needed.
I.e. first, you install 1.0 (restart), then the applications using the .Net 1.0 (restarts) and run 'em at least one time, then you patch the .Net (restart), run all the apps (restart) and you start with 1.1 etc.
As it coincides with all the standard Windows updates, it was a bloody mess before Win XP SP3, in fact I was unable to determine why it worked on one machine and the second one was unusable.
Now, it's easier, you install SP3 on a clean system, then all the .Nets.
It generally works now.
At the XP SP1/SP2 stage, it was a pain in the ass.

What then when you receive a security warning from Sun (for Java), or Microsoft for .NET? and they notify that a "critical security patch" (which is not necessarily a "patch", but which more than once is in fact a new installation) is needed?.

You're right.
The latest cumulative .Net patch is almost 250 MB to download...

I have a patch missing for .NET, which popped up retroactively (after I rolled .NET back to the required version): Bulletin MS07-040, which is deemed critical (but which, in all fairness, according to Microsoft themselves, is a real minefield, plagued with lots of "issues", both during and after installation, so I will not install it, just in case, and not only for TRADOS performance): http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q928365 ).

Generally, I prefer to patch immediately 'cause if you postpone the installation, some obcure dependencies may cause serious problems in the future.
E.g. the language packs for .Net 3.0 can't be installed if .Net 3.5 is already deployed.

Still, what about java?. And, are these the only ones with Trados?

XML core sevices (MSXML)
MS Jet.
Internet Explorer (BTW. don't install IE8, AFAIK it breaks MultiTerm).

Too much eggs in one basket.

BTW.
Don't install the Office Live add-in.
It may break the Trados/Multiterm templates for Word.

The fact that all of a sudden, you find that you can't edit an entry in multiterm and then find out that you must deactivate updates to java and roll back any you may have introduced is a BUG for Trados,

Of course.
Trados (especially Multiterm) is the most shitty piece of software I ever paid.

and this should be fixed, sending the patch straight from SDL to everybody concerned, with an explanatory note.

First, I would prefer they start to code properly.

BTW.
The Java programmers in SDL must be really stupid.
If one guy like Rodolfo Raya is able to make run his Swordfish on every Java version above 1.5, it should be possible to do it with Trados/Multiterm.
The same with .Net.
With DVX, you install .Net and MS Jet and you can forget it ever existed.
If you need more examples, no problem

This should be no problem: They know who has bought what (and spam you accordingly).

A good point.
But they prefer to write an article in the Knowledge base...

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2009-02-08 12:28 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

No connection between Workbench and Multiterm (and some other problems)

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs