How to send a TM
Thread poster: looby
looby
looby
France
Local time: 17:26
Feb 4, 2009

I am fairly new to Trados, and have been asked by a client to send them a TM. However, I can't figure out how to do this though I'm sure it's a simple process! I use Trados 2007.
I'd be grateful for any help!

Truc Tran Van
Truc Tran Van
Vietnam
Local time: 22:26
English to Vietnamese
Just zip the whole TM folder and send the zipped file to the client Feb 4, 2009

I assume you must know where your TM is stored by now.

In case you don't know where the TM is located, just open the Workbench then click on File > Properties. Then under Item name text area, click on Location, the TM path will be displayed on the right hand
... See more
I assume you must know where your TM is stored by now.

In case you don't know where the TM is located, just open the Workbench then click on File > Properties. Then under Item name text area, click on Location, the TM path will be displayed on the right hand box.
Collapse

Rod Walters
Rod Walters  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 00:26
Japanese to English
It's easy, don't worry Feb 4, 2009

Hopefully you know which folder to find your TM in. The path should be visible when you click the File menu in Workbench.

Go to that folder where you'll see 4 files with the same name but different extensions. Send your client these 4 files (I'd put them in a folder and Zip them up). You must send all of them.

Also you can use the File > Export option to Export all or some segments, but you'll need to look at the manual or play about to find the details. This can be use
... See more
Hopefully you know which folder to find your TM in. The path should be visible when you click the File menu in Workbench.

Go to that folder where you'll see 4 files with the same name but different extensions. Send your client these 4 files (I'd put them in a folder and Zip them up). You must send all of them.

Also you can use the File > Export option to Export all or some segments, but you'll need to look at the manual or play about to find the details. This can be useful when you have a mixed bag of stuff in your memory and you don't want to send all of it.
Collapse

looby
looby
France
TOPIC STARTER
TM folder hidden Feb 4, 2009

The problem is, when I go to the file in which the TM is stored (under Programmes - > Trados) the sub-file isn't visible. Has this ever happened to you? Is there a way of saving the TM anywhere else?

Rod Walters
Japan
Japanese to English
If you're in a hurry Feb 4, 2009

You can easily export the whole TM to a text file (save it somewhere obvious), then create a new TM somewhere obvious and import the text file. Then send off the 4 files. This should only take a couple of minutes. Then next time you use the TM be careful which one you use, and preferably delete the one that you're not going to use any more.

looby
looby
France
TOPIC STARTER
Text file Feb 4, 2009

Can I also send the client the text file?

Rod Walters
Japan
Japanese to English
Possibly Feb 4, 2009

It really depends on the knowledgeability of the client. Maybe the client doesn't know how to handle exported files.

The best thing to do is to talk to your client and find out what their needs are. You can also educate them about Trados at the same time. Often a client will ask for 'the memory' without knowing what it is (like the Dad who asked his daughter to 'buy an Internet' from the electronics store on her way home from work). Often clients don't realize that they can add a .
... See more
It really depends on the knowledgeability of the client. Maybe the client doesn't know how to handle exported files.

The best thing to do is to talk to your client and find out what their needs are. You can also educate them about Trados at the same time. Often a client will ask for 'the memory' without knowing what it is (like the Dad who asked his daughter to 'buy an Internet' from the electronics store on her way home from work). Often clients don't realize that they can add a .bak file from a translation to their memory. Maybe they just need a .bak or .ttx file that they can then incorporate into their memory by cleaning it up with Update Memory selected.

So why not send them the TM and the export, and ask them what their needs are at the same time? Maybe they don't know much about Trados and you can both learn together. That can be quite fruitful.
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Usually an export Feb 4, 2009

In my experience, to "send the memory" means to export the memory to a TXT or TMX format and send it to the customer. They usually prefer that, as they have their own copy of the memory and the export will allow them to add your translations to the master memory, instead of the hassle of having to open your memory, export its contents and only then import to their master memory.

Personally I would ask your customer about whether an export (open the memory in exclusive mode, then Fil
... See more
In my experience, to "send the memory" means to export the memory to a TXT or TMX format and send it to the customer. They usually prefer that, as they have their own copy of the memory and the export will allow them to add your translations to the master memory, instead of the hassle of having to open your memory, export its contents and only then import to their master memory.

Personally I would ask your customer about whether an export (open the memory in exclusive mode, then File > Export... and click the default options) in TXT or TMX format is preferrable.
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
RTFM Feb 4, 2009

RTFM...

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Seconded Feb 4, 2009

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

RTFM...

Hint: TMs are not stored in a predefined folder. TMs are stored wherever you saved them. BTW if you export it the exported txt will also be stored wherever you save it. Solution: remember which file you put in what folder for what reason, instead of randomly clicking things and hoping for the best.

If the client didn't tell you if they want a TM in trados native format or exported, ask or just send a txt or tmx export AND the "original" TM files.

looby
looby
France
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 6, 2009

Thanks for all your help!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to send a TM

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »