Thread poster: Patrick van der Stigchel
Patrick van der Stigchel
Patrick van der Stigchel  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 04:25
English to Dutch
+ ...
Feb 4, 2009

I am using Word 2007 with Vista. I have come across the following problem: I usually have Translator's Workbench open towards the top of my screen and a word 2007 window towards the lower part of my screen. When I first press the concordance button, the new concordance subscreen is placed between the Translator's Workbench window and the Word window. The problem arises in subsequent uses of the concordance window: each time the concordance button is pressed the concordance window jumps further u... See more
I am using Word 2007 with Vista. I have come across the following problem: I usually have Translator's Workbench open towards the top of my screen and a word 2007 window towards the lower part of my screen. When I first press the concordance button, the new concordance subscreen is placed between the Translator's Workbench window and the Word window. The problem arises in subsequent uses of the concordance window: each time the concordance button is pressed the concordance window jumps further up in the screen, often covering Translator's workbench and under other programmes such the fixed Dragon Naturally Speaking toolbar at the top of the screen. The problem is that once the concordance window creeps under the other toolbars or windows it is very difficult to drag the window down again.

Has anyone come across this problem? Is it possible to 'fix' the concordance window to one place? or at least prevent it from moving around the screen?
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:25
English to French
+ ...
Dragon Naturally Speaking issue Feb 4, 2009

I have come across this problem, and it isn't really a Trados Workbench issue. In my case, the problem reared its ugly head systematically when I was using Dragon.

When I use Dragon, I select the display mode that uses a floating bar that is appended to the active window. The Workbench concordance window is, unfortunately, one that is dependent on the Workbench window. Concordance is not an independent task and it doesn't show in the taskbar. When you minimize Workbench, the concord
... See more
I have come across this problem, and it isn't really a Trados Workbench issue. In my case, the problem reared its ugly head systematically when I was using Dragon.

When I use Dragon, I select the display mode that uses a floating bar that is appended to the active window. The Workbench concordance window is, unfortunately, one that is dependent on the Workbench window. Concordance is not an independent task and it doesn't show in the taskbar. When you minimize Workbench, the concordance window is automatically minimized along with it. There is just no way to control the concordance window. The same way the concordance window is dependent on the Workbench window, the Dragon toolbar is also dependent on whichever window is active. I think therein lies the problem. It's as if the parameters of the concordance window and the parameters of the Dragon toolbar were constantly quarreling, trying to override each other.

I would try starting Dragon and defining a display mode that is fixed, that is, no floating toolbar. Only then would I start Workbench. This should reinitialize the concordance window's parameters, in theory.

It would be good to know if SDL has ever looked into the issue of running both Dragon and Workbench concurrently. I think that if SDL coded the concordance window differently, that would solve the problem. My personal problem with the concordance window is that it never remembers where I placed it, so each time I start Workbench, the concordance window is displayed in its default position, and I have to resize and place it every time.
Collapse

Patrick van der Stigchel
Patrick van der Stigchel  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 04:25
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem seems to be solved Feb 4, 2009

Thank you very much for this tip, highly appreciated!
I have just changed the position of the Dragon Naturally Speaking toolbar to the bottom of the screen and the subwindow of concordance has stopped moving so far. I am very happy about this!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dancing Concordance Window

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »