Thread poster: Drew MacFadyen
Drew MacFadyen
Drew MacFadyen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 4, 2009

I am pleased to announce that ProZ.com will be hosting a series of FREE webinars the week of February 16th, 2009. A listing of all webinars can be found at - http://www.proz.com/online_trainings

SDL TRADOS will be participating and will discuss the top 10 support issues as provided by ProZ.com users.

You can register for thi
... See more
I am pleased to announce that ProZ.com will be hosting a series of FREE webinars the week of February 16th, 2009. A listing of all webinars can be found at - http://www.proz.com/online_trainings

SDL TRADOS will be participating and will discuss the top 10 support issues as provided by ProZ.com users.

You can register for this event at http://www.proz.com/translator_training/free_sdl_trados_webinar-1337.html

Please respond to this thread with support issues you would like to have covered.

Please understand that we will not be able to cover every support issue or concern and we will not be able to address specific installation issues.

Thank you

Drew
Collapse

kimjasper
kimjasper  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 13:35
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
SDLX/Workbench transparency or increased exchangeability Feb 5, 2009

With Workbench as my preferred environment and customers sending work as .itd files and sdlx TMs I often convert the files to the Workbench environment to do the actual work.
Working on SDLX material from the Workbench side not a glitch-free process, e.g.:

* When using TagEditor on .itd files you cannot translate to fuzzy because the target part of the segments in the .itd files is typically pre-filled with either the source or a fuzzy match from the TM

* .itd fil
... See more
With Workbench as my preferred environment and customers sending work as .itd files and sdlx TMs I often convert the files to the Workbench environment to do the actual work.
Working on SDLX material from the Workbench side not a glitch-free process, e.g.:

* When using TagEditor on .itd files you cannot translate to fuzzy because the target part of the segments in the .itd files is typically pre-filled with either the source or a fuzzy match from the TM

* .itd files rarely survive a round trip to .ttx and back. If the segment contains tags and other markers (shown as coloring in the sdlx editor), these are typically replaces by a set of tags in the ttx file which do not match with the TM ported from SDLX through TMX. That makes it impossible to leverage the TM or perform batch translation of files. Usually I find myself doctoring the tmx files or or the Workbench source files to circumvent this and then still have to port the TM back to SDLX, open the individual .itd files and tick through the segments and accept the matches

With .ttx as well as .itd being so predominant (and SDL having invented .itd and aquired .ttx) is there any plans to make this process easier for the users by bringing the formats and architectures closer together or to increase the capabilities of the exchange tools?

Kim Jasper
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL TRADOS Free Webinar on top 10 Support issues

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »