Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Free ("reviewers") version of TagEditor?
Thread poster: Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 12:41
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Feb 5, 2009

Here it goes again... After the job is delivered the client requests that I deliver "unclean doc files", so that the reviewer might make changes which will be incorporated into the TM afterwards.

I reply that I do not have them, as I worked in TagEditor. I cannot even produce them quickly, as TM resulting from editing of Word file is quite different from the one done in TagEditor (basically, a ton of tags needs to be inserted or removed). The other option is to align the edited fil
... See more
Here it goes again... After the job is delivered the client requests that I deliver "unclean doc files", so that the reviewer might make changes which will be incorporated into the TM afterwards.

I reply that I do not have them, as I worked in TagEditor. I cannot even produce them quickly, as TM resulting from editing of Word file is quite different from the one done in TagEditor (basically, a ton of tags needs to be inserted or removed). The other option is to align the edited file with the source, which also takes time... Lose-lose situation... which will happen again and again, when more people move from Word to TE (and I've read somewhere that SDL is thinking of phasing out the Word interface).

Would it not make sense that Trados released a free TagEditor version, with none of the TM functionality whatsoever, no plugins, conversions, etc. Just the editor and that's it.

I realize that to SDL giving out something for free might sound just horrid, but they will not be losing any money really... I do not think any reviewer will buy Trados Suite just for the editing features of TagEditor, as it does not make any sense economically. It would just be a great favor to existing user base, as well as it might make the transition to Trados-without-Word much less painful...
Collapse

Roman Bulkiewicz
Roman Bulkiewicz  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:41
Member (2004)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Possible solution Feb 5, 2009

Use TTXpress to convert your TTX file into RTF, so that your reviewer can edit it in Word.
After the file has been edited, convert it back to TTX.

TTXpress is free, google it.

Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 18:41
English to Indonesian
+ ...
trados demo Feb 5, 2009

cmiiw, you can always use tag editor, of trados demo, for reviewing. just start te without the workbench. adjust the protection setting, then start the review.

Jaroslaw Michalak
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Demo Trados Feb 5, 2009

I would rather spare the reviewer the doubtful pleasure of installation of the whole shebang... Just the editor would do fine. Although it probably is so library dependent, it won't make much difference...

Oh well, the suite is in desperate need of complete rewrite anyway, isn't it?

Daniel García
Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Copy and paste into Word Feb 5, 2009

Roman Bulkiewicz wrote:

Use TTXpress to convert your TTX file into RTF, so that your reviewer can edit it in Word.
After the file has been edited, convert it back to TTX.

TTXpress is free, google it.

You can also copy and paste from TagEditor into MS Word and you get a bilingual Doc which you can later clean up (but not convert back to TTX).

TTXpress sounds like a better solution, though, as you seem to be able to convert back to TTX.

Daniel

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Is it really that much trouble Feb 5, 2009

... to align the corrected / proofread version and the source?

How would proofreading in TagEditor look like anyhow? Translating is orthogonal to editing. Dragging the proofreading functionality into TagEditor would just make another (BIGGER) can of worms.

The practical issue - from my experience - is how to handle corrections, done in Acrobat.

regards (and J, it is an issue all right)

Olaf (X)
Olaf (X)
English to German
TTXpress might not be needed Feb 5, 2009

If you have an older version of MS Office all you have to do is press CTRL+A and CTRL+C in TagEditor and then paste the Clipboard contents into a blank MS Word doc to get a standard Trados compatible file (source is marked as hidden etc.) that can be edited and cleaned as usual. Of course, you'll have to resave it as an .RTF file before you clean it.
Unfortunately, this doesn't work in Office 2007.

Olaf

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 18:41
English to Thai
+ ...
My TTXpress experience Feb 6, 2009

If you have an older version of MS Office all you have to do is press CTRL+A and CTRL+C in TagEditor and then paste the Clipboard contents into a blank MS Word doc to get a standard Trados compatible file (source is marked as hidden etc.) that can be edited and cleaned as usual. Of course, you'll have to resave it as an .RTF file before you clean it. Unfortunately, this doesn't work in Office 2007.

I installed TTXpress in Office 2007 for many months but it failed to function. Yesterday I met the TTXpress.dot template accidentally in My Documents of my PC. I open it and started enjoying edijng *.ttx files with it. [use it through Word macro instead of add-in button in Word.]
I happened to get a job to edit in this manner from one of my oldest clients. This is better for me: MS Word + Workbench always convert my source text formatting, fonts etc.. It is very annoying. But TTXpress [and TagEditor] does not.

Soonthon L.

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:41
German to English
+ ...
One possible solution Feb 6, 2009

You might consider importing the TTX into Déjà Vu X and having it reviewed using the free version of DVX or as an RTF table ("external view"). That's what I usually do. Then when editing is done, just export the corrected TTX from DVX Pro/Workgroup.

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
1) Deliver uncleaned file... Feb 6, 2009

2) wait for corrections (no effort),
3) get the file back (small effort),
4) clean it up (almost no effort), and
5) deliver the final version (wee small effort).

If you need some more difficult way let me know and I will think of it...

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
A good solution is... Feb 6, 2009

... having a portable build of Trados (and TagEditor). It exists. It is a single file, and it does not need any reg key. Surf the Net.

Jaroslaw Michalak
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
More thoughts... Feb 6, 2009

Thank you for all your suggestions...

They key issue here is that the agency requires Word files to give to the reviewer (who might not be very technically advanced), while all I have is ttx files. Therefore it would be best to keep the process of conversion (aligning, etc.) as simple as possible... Especially if the agency is unwilling, the reviewer does not know how and I am not paid for this

TTXpress s
... See more
Thank you for all your suggestions...

They key issue here is that the agency requires Word files to give to the reviewer (who might not be very technically advanced), while all I have is ttx files. Therefore it would be best to keep the process of conversion (aligning, etc.) as simple as possible... Especially if the agency is unwilling, the reviewer does not know how and I am not paid for this

TTXpress seems to be a nice solution, but it seems the link to it is dead... Also, is it true (as one of the webpages stated) that it needs installation of TagEditor to work?

In practical terms, I think it would be easier for the agency to tell the reviewer "this is the editor, it's very simple to use, you will do all your work in it from now on" than "install this, then convert it with that, etc.".

For all its deficiencies, TagEditor is quite simple to use and it does improve the workflow (as you can do all your work, including Excel, Powerpoint etc. in a one program).

Extending that simplicity to the reviewer seems like a natural step... Especially that the "reviewers" edition/option might not only be dumbed down, but also might have other features, such as allowing edition (e.g. find and replace) in the whole document at once while still protecting the source segments and the tags.
Collapse

Roman Bulkiewicz
Roman Bulkiewicz  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
TTXpress Feb 6, 2009

Jabberwock wrote:

TTXpress seems to be a nice solution, but it seems the link to it is dead... Also, is it true (as one of the webpages stated) that it needs installation of TagEditor to work?

Yes, I think so. Since you have TE, you can use it. The reviewer doesn't need the TTXpress, he will only deal with the Word file.

I can send you the tool, if you want. Please contact me by ProZ.com email.

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 14:41
English to Turkish
+ ...
Bilingual Preview Function Feb 6, 2009

You don't need to use external programs, using the bilingual preview function (with the appropriate settings in plug-ins > tradostag viewer plug-in) one may easily export the ttx file to html and excel formats. After proofreading with notes (track changes or add notes/comments can be used here), any changes can be made in the original ttx file.

I am a user of Deja Vu and don't use (actually hate) Trados and its TagEditor component, but it seems to me that there are some Trados users
... See more
You don't need to use external programs, using the bilingual preview function (with the appropriate settings in plug-ins > tradostag viewer plug-in) one may easily export the ttx file to html and excel formats. After proofreading with notes (track changes or add notes/comments can be used here), any changes can be made in the original ttx file.

I am a user of Deja Vu and don't use (actually hate) Trados and its TagEditor component, but it seems to me that there are some Trados users who use TagEditor only as a replacement for a simple text editor. For sure TagEditor is not a translator friendly program, but such basic features (exporting to other formats) are included even in TagEditor.
Collapse

Jaroslaw Michalak
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Import/export Feb 6, 2009

I am quite aware of this, as there was a time I have used the export plugins heavily. However, with the type of texts I'm doing now (technical with lots of "creative" advertising portions), it is usual that the proofread file has lots of little changes, especially when the final client has his/her say. Therefore manual editing is not desirable, as the cost might not be easily allocated (as I said, I'd rather not do work I'm not paid for).

Of course, in the perfect world we would all
... See more
I am quite aware of this, as there was a time I have used the export plugins heavily. However, with the type of texts I'm doing now (technical with lots of "creative" advertising portions), it is usual that the proofread file has lots of little changes, especially when the final client has his/her say. Therefore manual editing is not desirable, as the cost might not be easily allocated (as I said, I'd rather not do work I'm not paid for).

Of course, in the perfect world we would all use DejaVuX, which allows importing back of edited rtf...

However, the ctrl-C trick seems very promising, as the import of the edited text can be done automatically.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Free ("reviewers") version of TagEditor?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »