Mac people using Trados
Thread poster: English2French
English2French
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:21
English to French
Feb 5, 2009

Hi Everyone

I just switch from PC to MAC and would like to install Trados on my computer. What is the best way to do this? Should I install a virtual PC or a Partition? Would a virtual PC slow down my computer (MacBook with 160GB 2.4 Ghz processor).

Would anyone know?

Many thanks,

Dalila B-James

Direct link Reply with quote

Ángel Domínguez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:21
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Depends... Feb 5, 2009

Well, congratulations on switching to a Mac; I keep seeing people doing the same these days...

About your question, you could do two things: you can use Boot Camp to create a partition where you would install XP or Vista, then, to start Windows, you would have to restart your computer and choose the Windows partition. This is advisable mainly if you play Windows games.

Now, the other option would be to install Parallels, VMWare Fusion or Sun's VirtualBox, which is free (http://www.virtualbox.org/). I don't know about VirtualBox, but Parallels and Fusion allow you to do one of two things:

a) Create a new virtual machine contained in a file in your Mac OS X disk. That file is basically a virtual Windows partition used by Parallels or Fusion to run start Windows right inside Mac OS X.
b) If your have installed Boot Camp, you can also use Parallels or Fusion to run Windows inside you Mac OS X, but you have the additional option of using you Boot Camp partition as the disk of the virtual machine, thus having the option to restart you Mac into Windows (if you absolutely need what is basically a PC - for instance, to play Windows games), or running Windows inside OS X all fron the same partition.

Phew, hope that helped.
BTW there's a third option, but I don't think Trados would work under that; it's called CrossOver. And, it's worth having a look at VirtualBox to check whether it allows for starting Windows from the Boot Camp partition or not.

As for the impact on performance, I suggest you upgrade your computer memory to 4 GB if you can afford them. It's the single most effective (and inexpensive) method to increase performance.

Ángel.

English2French
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:21
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Many Thanks for you prompt answer!!! Feb 6, 2009

Hi Ángel,

Thank you for providing me with a solution and so quickly too. You are making my day!

Cheers!

Dalila

Blind Clam  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Same situation Feb 6, 2009

I'd like to thank Angel, too, because I am currently grappling with the same problem but for Logoport, not Trados.
Dalila - by the way you can also find additional help on this topic on the Apple website.
Anyway, thanks Angel!

Ángel Domínguez  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nice Feb 6, 2009

Glad to be of help, Dalila and Susannah.

Now speaking about performance with a virtualized Windows machine running under Mac OS X, I find it works really well, the system doesn't feel slower or unresponsive, but memory is the key issue here: I for one assign 512 MB of RAM to the virtual machine so it won't affect the overall performance of my Mac; that should be more than enough to run Office applications under XP (my guess is that Vista would struggle with just 512 MB). My computer has 3 GB of RAM so again, I recommend upgrading memory to the max.

And, it's a shame these software companies won't release a Mac port of their programs; maybe if enough translators request it, they will consider the option of porting their software over to Mac, to the happy side of computing... ¡Viva el Mac!

Regards from Spain,

Ángel.

Eenders
Spanish to German
+ ...
Does it need to be Windows XP ? Apr 29, 2010

Angel (and all the others, of course!)

I have a question: I would like to use Boot camp and then install Windows 7 for Trados Studio 2009. Everybody else is writing about Windos XP ... is it more complicated with Windows 7 or what is reason for using XP ?
Thanks for a short reply.

Erika

Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
I recommend Parallels Apr 29, 2010

I recommend Parallels if you want to install a virtual machine; it works seamlessly with Trados. I grappled with VirtualBox for a while, but could not make head nor tail of it.

I have recently purchased Swordfish and hope to begin using it soon.....

prmueller  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
Works fine on my Mac May 7, 2010

I am using a MacBook Pro with 2,5 GHz (2008 model) and 4 GB of RAM. I run Trados 2009 on Parallels Desktop 5 and it runs smoothly. With a newer Mac it should be even faster. The only thing you need to watch out for is a bug in Trados that shows after installation. You'll receive an error message.

To resolve it, open the settings for the virtual machine in Paralles, switch to the Options tab and select "Shared Folders". Turn the function of (drop down menu on the top left), then manually add the "User defined Mac OS X folder"(s) you want to use with Parallels. They will show up as volumes in Windows Explorer. Reboot the virtual machine, and: tadaaaa, Trados will stop complaining.

Johanna Bowman  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
XP or Windows 7 for Studio 2009? Nov 3, 2010

Hi all,

Sorry for reviving this post so late....but I am having the exact same problems right now.

Linking back to Erika's question, I am also wondering if I should install Trados 2009 in XP or Upgrade to Windows 7 for it?

I have a MacBook (2,4 GHz) and have been very happy with Parallels 4. I now want to upgrade to 5 (as it seems there has been some problems with 6) and get Trados 2009 installed. I am therefore not sure whether I should get Windows 7 as well?

Also, does anyone now what happens if, say, I install Studio in XP but decide later to upgrade to Windows 7 can I just install the same version of Studio again under Windows 7? Or how does this work?

Thanks in advance, guys

Johanna

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mac people using Trados

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs