Thread poster: Virginia Navascues
Virginia Navascues
Virginia Navascues  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:07
Member (2008)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 9, 2009

I know I posted something similar a few months ago, but now it is sometimes much worse. When I get a particularly long paragraph, WB simply does not recognize many of the terms that I definitely KNOW are in myMultiterm glossary. This seems to occur especially if some of these terms are repeated several times in this paragraph, which makes it even more annoying, because I must write out the whole thing, with no help from WB. So what's the point, I sometimes wonder?

I (with the help
... See more
I know I posted something similar a few months ago, but now it is sometimes much worse. When I get a particularly long paragraph, WB simply does not recognize many of the terms that I definitely KNOW are in myMultiterm glossary. This seems to occur especially if some of these terms are repeated several times in this paragraph, which makes it even more annoying, because I must write out the whole thing, with no help from WB. So what's the point, I sometimes wonder?

I (with the help of support) did all that sufff about exporting and reimporting, reorganizing, etc. the termbase but this problem continues. I remember pal Grzegorz gave me some advice about copying Trados onto another computer to test it for bugs, but it was too much for me, and I was swamped with work at that time. So I never did it. I have a normal antivirus and anti-spyware - isn't that enough?

Fortunately, I shall attend a course of DVX next week and if it seems good, I will definitely switch. I really get fed up with some of Trados' tricks.

Another thing that annoys me about Trados (maybe, again, my ignorance!) is that if the sentence to be translated is very long, I cannot see the whole sentence in the upper window of WB (no matter how big I make the window), and if I scroll down, as soon as I begin translating, the text in the WB window jumps back up to the beginning of the sentence, so I can never see the second half of the sentence, to make sure I am not skipping words that are in my glossary (you cannot possible memorize the whole glossary and always remember that you have inserted a specific term). I don't know how to solve this problem, but it makes my work less efficient because I spend time scrolling down when it should be automatic.

Any suggestions?

Virginia
Collapse

Roy OConnor (X)
Roy OConnor (X)
German to English
Try increasing the search depth Feb 10, 2009

This effect where Trados seems to ignore frequently repeated MT terms in a segment is bothersome. I found one way to get round it is to increase the search depth in Workbench under Options -> Term recognition options -> Settings -> Search depth. This makes the search take longer, but if you have a reasonably fast computer it might yield a net gain in efficiency.

Or have you thought about trying a Word macro linked to a specific short-cut key combination? This is handy for often-repe
... See more
This effect where Trados seems to ignore frequently repeated MT terms in a segment is bothersome. I found one way to get round it is to increase the search depth in Workbench under Options -> Term recognition options -> Settings -> Search depth. This makes the search take longer, but if you have a reasonably fast computer it might yield a net gain in efficiency.

Or have you thought about trying a Word macro linked to a specific short-cut key combination? This is handy for often-repeated words and phrases which you don't particlarly want in your termbase.
Collapse

Virginia Navascues
Member (2008)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
search depth & macros Feb 10, 2009

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll try increasing the search depth.

About your second suggestion, could you spell it out? I am totally self-taught in Word, windows, etc., and never got around to many features that I never used, such as macros. If it's too complicated, never mind, I'll try to find someone around here who can explain it to me.

thanks a lot for your reply.
Virginia

Roy OConnor (X)
Roy OConnor (X)
German to English
Creating a macro in Word Feb 10, 2009

Hello, Virginia,

The procedure is fairly straightforward and only varies depending on the Word version. My versions of Word have German menus, but here goes:
Find the Macro pull-down menu point (under Extras in the German Word) and select Record..
Enter a name for your macro and click the keyboard symbol.
In the following menu enter either a free key combination or replace one that you don't need. When you've chosen your combination, allocate it with the assign but
... See more
Hello, Virginia,

The procedure is fairly straightforward and only varies depending on the Word version. My versions of Word have German menus, but here goes:
Find the Macro pull-down menu point (under Extras in the German Word) and select Record..
Enter a name for your macro and click the keyboard symbol.
In the following menu enter either a free key combination or replace one that you don't need. When you've chosen your combination, allocate it with the assign button and close the menu using the Close button.

Two cassette recorder buttons now appear. In your document the text that you now write will be recorded and assigned to the button combination. Having written your chosen text click the "Stop" cassette button. The button combination is now your short-cut for the text you have just typed in.

The macro remains in your Word system until you overwrite it with another one using the same name. Then you can re-use the same keys for another different repetitive phrase.

It's very useful and very quick. Give it a spin!

astrocurly
Collapse

Virginia Navascues
Member (2008)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
macros Feb 10, 2009

Thanks a lot, astrocurly, for your detailed explanation. Unfortunately, as usually seems to be the case, my computer doesn't work the same way as yours does. I found the Macro pull-down menu and the Record. As from there, nothing works, everyting seems disabled somehow. When I try to type in a name, it didn't like that, when I tried to type in a key combination, it didn't react at all. The cassette recorder buttons appeared, but when I wrote down a word and clicked the stop, nothing more happene... See more
Thanks a lot, astrocurly, for your detailed explanation. Unfortunately, as usually seems to be the case, my computer doesn't work the same way as yours does. I found the Macro pull-down menu and the Record. As from there, nothing works, everyting seems disabled somehow. When I try to type in a name, it didn't like that, when I tried to type in a key combination, it didn't react at all. The cassette recorder buttons appeared, but when I wrote down a word and clicked the stop, nothing more happened. I'll have to find some here who can actually sit down at my computer and show me. Having computer experte in the family, that shouldn't be impossible. thanks all the same.Collapse

Rod Walters
Rod Walters  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 10:07
Japanese to English
Voodoo Feb 11, 2009

Hi Virginia,

I've been using Trados in its various incarnations since 2002, and it's always had that "you'll get your terms in your sentence only if I feel like it" attitude. Sometimes you get your term supplied only in one iteration of several in the sentence. It's a horrible bug, and nothing seems to work to correct it. (It struck a couple of times when I was teaching Trados basics to a room full of people at a new client's. Having
... See more
Hi Virginia,

I've been using Trados in its various incarnations since 2002, and it's always had that "you'll get your terms in your sentence only if I feel like it" attitude. Sometimes you get your term supplied only in one iteration of several in the sentence. It's a horrible bug, and nothing seems to work to correct it. (It struck a couple of times when I was teaching Trados basics to a room full of people at a new client's. Having just registered the term, they were all very curious to know why it didn't appear. I hated having to speak up for Trados at this particular moment.)

You could try wearing a dried frog in a leather bag around your neck as a possible solution. I also submit that the macro solution proposed wouldn't come close to matching the convenience of a proper termbase linkage with Word. Another workaround would be to use Tag Editor. I've noticed that the problem doesn't occur there.

As for the second problem, you can adjust the size of the text in Workbench, but that just makes it too small to read if it's beyond a certain length. One workaround that sometimes helps is to copy the monster sentence into a new Word window with the margins pushed right to the edge of the screen. This makes the sentence long and thin, giving you more room to expand the Workbench window heightwise. Once you've translated your sentence and closed the segment, you can then open/get the sentence in the original document. It's a kludge, but it can help.

When you can't see the whole sentence in Workbench, whatever you do, it also helps if you cycle through your terms (or the available terms!) using the key shortcut (Alt + arrow keys), watching which terms appear in the MultiTerm pane. It's a little bit faster than mousing.

There are some more powerful methods involving crow's livers, but I don't feel comfortable disclosing them in a public forum.
Collapse

Virginia Navascues
Member (2008)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
solutions to Trados' techiness Feb 11, 2009

Hi Rod,

Well, that certainly got a chuckle if nothing more! However, I'm relieved to see it is a general problem of Trados and not a personal vendetta between Trados and me.

I'd like to try the crows' liver solution, if you don't mind. It seems it'd be more effective than the dried frog (are you sure you don't mean a toad?)

I'll try your solution to the long sentences. I don't care for Tageditor, the few times I've used it, I can't seem to get the tags rig
... See more
Hi Rod,

Well, that certainly got a chuckle if nothing more! However, I'm relieved to see it is a general problem of Trados and not a personal vendetta between Trados and me.

I'd like to try the crows' liver solution, if you don't mind. It seems it'd be more effective than the dried frog (are you sure you don't mean a toad?)

I'll try your solution to the long sentences. I don't care for Tageditor, the few times I've used it, I can't seem to get the tags right and in the end, it won't clean properly. My translations are just plain text, if there's any fancy stuff to be done with it later, the authors take care of it. At most, there could be some tables, but I don't worry much about them, so they don't worry me either (probably Tageditor would be better for the tables but I never get the chance to try it with enough time on my hands).

anyhow, thanks a lot, you brightened my day.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Workbench does not recognize terms in Multiterm

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »