https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/127699-problem_with_cleaning_ttx_files_created_from_doc_and_xls_files.html

Problem with cleaning ttx files created from .doc and .xls files
Thread poster: Maciej Pomorski
Maciej Pomorski
Maciej Pomorski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 02:45
Member (2005)
German to Polish
+ ...
Feb 16, 2009

Hello everybody!

For a couple of weeks, I'm unable to clean ttx files created from .doc and .xls documents with TagEditor. The Translator's Workbench seems to clean up the ttx files without any problems, there are no error messages, but when I open the .doc or .xls file, I see the original document with no translation inserted.

The problem seems to appear only with MS-Office files, cleaning html files works fine.

Therefore, I'm unable to translate xls files
... See more
Hello everybody!

For a couple of weeks, I'm unable to clean ttx files created from .doc and .xls documents with TagEditor. The Translator's Workbench seems to clean up the ttx files without any problems, there are no error messages, but when I open the .doc or .xls file, I see the original document with no translation inserted.

The problem seems to appear only with MS-Office files, cleaning html files works fine.

Therefore, I'm unable to translate xls files with Trados, and the TagEditor workflow for .doc files is impossible, too. Please help! Thank you for your reaction.
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
cleaning ttx with TWB?... Feb 16, 2009

If I use TagEditor and need a target file, I use "create Target" in the File submenu.

Maciej Pomorski
Poland
Member (2005)
German to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It doesn't work... Feb 16, 2009

All I get is a copy of the xls file in the original language...

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Log Feb 16, 2009

Hi Maciej,
please check the log file and provide us with the exact wording of the error description stored in the log file. There will be something like "Error writing paragraphs. File skipped." or something similar.

Maciej Pomorski
Poland
Member (2005)
German to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
There is no error message Feb 16, 2009

That's the strange thing - there is no error message, the log says "File cleaned successfully without errors", but the original document remains unchanged.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
But why do you CLEAN the files? Feb 16, 2009

Please forget about all this old fashioned clean-up for creating the target file.
Use cleanup only as means to actualize you TM and for nothing more.
To get the target file, use the function "File - Save target as..." in Tagedito.

Maciej Pomorski
Poland
Member (2005)
German to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It doesn't work either Feb 16, 2009

I have tried both, i.e. cleaning and saving with "Save as Target" but nothing works - all I get is the original file with no translation.
It looks like a MS-Office error but it's quite strange because it worked a few weeks ago and I don't remember having changed any settings in MS-Office or Trados since then.

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Strange enough... Feb 16, 2009

...that you get no error message. If you send me the source DOC and the TTX, perhaps I could elaborate (my e-mail is orders(at)preklad(dot)eu.

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:45
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Trados Workbench should be active Mar 4, 2009

A suggestion: You cannot clean ttx files if Trados worbench is closed. It has to be open and with your translation memory active.

Kind regards

Clarisa

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with cleaning ttx files created from .doc and .xls files

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »