https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/127730-error_for_target_file_in_tageditor.html

Error for target file in tageditor
Thread poster: Claire Bernard
Claire Bernard
Claire Bernard
Local time: 08:03
French to English
Feb 16, 2009

I have SDL Trados freelance 2007 version and I have just translated a document in Tag editor. When I try to save the target file, I get the following message: "The Microsoft Word doc cannot be opened because it is in Word 97 or earlier format". I would be very grateful if someone could help me out on this.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Save the original Word file in newer format Feb 16, 2009

Open the ORIGINAL file in Word. Go to Options, chose the Compatibility tab and set the compatibility to Word 2000 or above. Save this file.
Now reattempt to use the "Save target as..." function.
I hope this will work.

Claire Bernard
Claire Bernard
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
writing breaks Feb 16, 2009

Hi, Yes I did this and now I get error "Error while writing breaks". I got this before too then it changed to the other message. Any ideas?

Alexander Medved
Alexander Medved
Ukraine
Local time: 09:03
English to Russian
+ ...
follow me Feb 16, 2009

I encountered a similar problem some time ago and for all I did I could not find the solution. Moreover, after re-formatting and re-naming the source file the TE did not “want” to recognize it and came up with the message of the same kind which popped up on your screen.
As a matter of fact the source file was ‘saturated’ with drawings and had a very complicated format. Probably the cause was hiding in that.
I ended up with Workbench > Tools > Translate … and bingo! It worke
... See more
I encountered a similar problem some time ago and for all I did I could not find the solution. Moreover, after re-formatting and re-naming the source file the TE did not “want” to recognize it and came up with the message of the same kind which popped up on your screen.
As a matter of fact the source file was ‘saturated’ with drawings and had a very complicated format. Probably the cause was hiding in that.
I ended up with Workbench > Tools > Translate … and bingo! It worked wonders (with 80% or higher match value)! Try it Claire…

Good luck

[Редактировалось 2009-02-16 17:37 GMT]
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
A different solution Feb 16, 2009

Try searching this forum for "Error while writing breaks".
Basically, the source (DOC) document contains section, column or page breaks. In some cases, Trados has problems cleaning up the document in the event when any of such a break is not preceeded by paragraph mark.
So, you may try one or both of the following solutions:
1) In Word, display all hidden characters (press the reversed "P" icon in the toolbars) and press ENTER before each section/column/paragraph break. If it i
... See more
Try searching this forum for "Error while writing breaks".
Basically, the source (DOC) document contains section, column or page breaks. In some cases, Trados has problems cleaning up the document in the event when any of such a break is not preceeded by paragraph mark.
So, you may try one or both of the following solutions:
1) In Word, display all hidden characters (press the reversed "P" icon in the toolbars) and press ENTER before each section/column/paragraph break. If it is an OCR document, there might be lots of them. Then, open the document in TagEditor, press "Translate to Fuzzy" and save the target file.
2) In Word, display all hidden characters (press the reversed "P" icon in the toolbars) and remove all section/column/page breaks. Then, open the document in TagEditor, press "Translate to Fuzzy" and save the target file. Once you're done, open the target DOC file and insert the breaks back to where they belong.
Collapse

Claire Bernard
Claire Bernard
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Short of time Feb 16, 2009

Thanks for all your help. I tried everything but nothing works. I'll just copy and paste to another word doc and then delete all the tags...I'm short of time to get this translation back. Thanks anyway!

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Then use the fastest solution you can get Feb 16, 2009

First try this search and replace in your Word document:
Search for: ^b
Replace with: ^p^&
Save the doc. Open the translated ttx - try to save target. If you have some luck, it will work.
Otherwise use the Translation memory in Workbench and the Translate function.
Then try again to "save target as...". This really should work.

Claire Bernard
Claire Bernard
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Wow! Danke! Feb 16, 2009

Thankyou very much. It worked.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error for target file in tageditor

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »