Mobile menu

Excel files loading too slow
Thread poster: James B
James B
Local time: 09:39
Japanese to English
Feb 17, 2009

Hi there.

I've been searching through the forums here hoping to find an answer to my problem but haven't had any luck. My problem is with opening excel files in SDL Edit and to a lesser degree in tageditor. I'm running SDL TRADOS 2007 (8.0 according to the license manager) on a windows xp machine.

When first opening some excel files (but not all excel files) it will take a ridiculously long time to open them. SDL Edit, which is really the program I'd like to use more, takes so long that it often seems to have frozen (checking the active practices usually shows excel chugging away at about 50% of mem usage). Though it seems that the file eventually will open if the computer is left alone long enough, it'S entirely to long a timeframe to make the program at all useful.

Again, it's not all excel files, only some. Does anybody know what factors could be causing this? I really don't think it's file size, because relatively speaking the files which won't open aren't very large. And sometimes a file which wouldn't open earlier opens quickly another time.

Anyway, if anyone has any hints as to what could be cauing this I'd be very grateful. Thanks in advance.

Direct link Reply with quote

Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:39
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
XLS-files may have very long tags with formulas... Feb 17, 2009

... it takes time to process them.

A recent trend in MS is to keep everything in ONE file (DB). They think it is good to have everything in one file, but the file gets enormous!
I cannot imagine myself having all my e-mails (5 boxes with all inboxes, outboxes, trashes etc.) in ONE file. That is why I never use e-mail clients by MS. What shall I do if it fails?!

I prefer e-mail clients keeping everything in open formats in separate files, accessible by Notepad.

The same with the office files. Remember the early 90-s when MS Word files were 15-80 KB. Now we have 0.5-...MB and almost no changes in functionality.

Today's CAT tools have more work to do...

[Редактировалось 2009-02-17 09:43 GMT]

James B
Local time: 09:39
Japanese to English
Thank you... Feb 17, 2009

...for the answer. However, it doesn't seem to matter if I import formulas or not. Should it?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Excel files loading too slow

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs