Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:23
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Feb 17, 2009

This is quite easy for Word or for Framemaker.
Formatting text in Word as hidden (similar in Framemaker) makes it untranslatable in TTX.
Now I've got InDesign from customer with the note in document "please translate only MAGENTA parts". So I would like to format all text formatted as black in a way to make it untranslatable. This should be possible, but how?
I use InDesign CS3, SDL Trados 2007 Suite Pro (8.3.0.863)

Many thanks in advance
Jerzy

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Why should it be possible? Feb 17, 2009

You can put the black stuff on a layer that is hidden and/or locked. But of course, you can only do this story by story.

That's the only method I know.

HTH,

Benjamin

P.S.: Make sure the stories on hidden and non-hidden layers aren't linked to each other or strange effects will occur.

edit: sorry, not the magenta stuff, the black stuff. You know what I mean.

[Ed
... See more
You can put the black stuff on a layer that is hidden and/or locked. But of course, you can only do this story by story.

That's the only method I know.

HTH,

Benjamin

P.S.: Make sure the stories on hidden and non-hidden layers aren't linked to each other or strange effects will occur.

edit: sorry, not the magenta stuff, the black stuff. You know what I mean.

[Edited at 2009-02-17 14:44 GMT]
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Black stuff of course Feb 17, 2009

but I want to do this in automated way(Search&Replace) - and did not found there any possibility to move text to a different layer.

To answer your question "Why should it be possible?" - because it would be easier to have only translatable text in Tageditor and not the mixture of both.

Thanks
Jerzy

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Not easy... Feb 17, 2009

A quick look at the InDesign filter settings tells me that the filter itself does not provide such functionality...

I guess the only way to do it (semi-)automatically is to edit the ttx file. However, this is only possible if the segments to be omitted can be easily located.

One way to do it:

• Pretranslate the file with an empty TM and save the ttx.
  • Locate the segments with the rel... See more
A quick look at the InDesign filter settings tells me that the filter itself does not provide such functionality...

I guess the only way to do it (semi-)automatically is to edit the ttx file. However, this is only possible if the segments to be omitted can be easily located.

One way to do it:

• Pretranslate the file with an empty TM and save the ttx.
  • Locate the segments with the relevant tag (black? - have no idea how it might look in INX!)
  • For those TUs change the attribute Origin="manual" to "xtranslate"

This will make TagEditor skip the relevant segments, both from editing and from analysis.

Of course, it might be easier to turn it around and change all "manual" to "xtranslate" and revert it only for magenta TUs.

[Edited at 2009-02-17 17:38 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Marking text parts in InDesign untranslatable

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »