Diarmuid Kennan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 19:24
Member (2006)
Danish to English
+ ...
Feb 18, 2009

Hello there,

I received a 10,000 word Excel file to translate. At first it wouldn't open in Tageditor, and then suddenly it did after I copied it and pasted into a new document.
I changed the name back and translated the document.

Now it won't clean up! I know this sometimes happens because of the name change, but this time it seems to be more than that.

The translation is in the memory, so if I could just open the Excel file again in Tageditor, it should be possible to translate it from the memory and clean it up, but I can't seem to get the file to open again.
I know it contains macros and is write-protected, but I have no idea how to turn these off. Even when I copy and paste into a new document, Tageditor still can't open it.

I have the document translated, but all I have to show for it is a useless ttx file. I've been trying to solve this for 9 hours solid and it is doing my head in....any help would be greatly appreciated.

Diarmuid

Direct link Reply with quote

Mónica Belén Colacilli  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 15:24
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Try Word Feb 18, 2009

Hi Diarmuid,

I happened to me once, and I solved it by copying every column from the excel file and pasting into a Word document. Then ran Trados and copied and pasted back to the excel file.

It may not be the "correct" solution, but it worked for me to save my work!

I hope it helps!

Belén

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 20:24
English to Czech
+ ...
Any error message? Feb 18, 2009

Hi Diarmuid,
did you get any error message? If so, please provide us with the exact wording of it. You can find it in the cleanup log file.

Ireland
Member (2006)
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No error message Feb 18, 2009

No, there was no error message.

When I ask Tageditor to to open the Excel file or to save the target document, it starts working, but never reaches as conclusion.

All I can do is use Ctrl+Alt+Del to close it.

I spoke to the IT guy at the clients office who spent a few hours trying to tweak the document so that it could be opened by Tageditor, without success.

The only unusual thing is that sometimes when I try to open the Excel file with Excel, it says that it is write protected, by me. But I can't see where to turn of this function. Its not activated anywhere that I can see.

Once I managed to copy the text to a different document and open it with Tageditor. Then I used the memory to translate it. The odd thing was that it insisted that there was a tag missing from the end of most of the sentences. But that (cf) tag wasn't there when I translated the original.

Then, when I try to save the target, I get an error message: something like " the cf tag in part 1, line 1 does not match the cell at the end of the document" (or something lioke that. I should have written it down).

I have tried disabling all the plug-ins

Ireland
Member (2006)
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
One other thing Feb 18, 2009

This is not a confidential document, so if anyone has any ideas about how they can open this with Tageditor they are welcome to try.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
How long did you wait? Feb 18, 2009

Tageditor may need as long as half an hour for opening a bigger Excel file.
Depending on the configuration of your PC, mainly harrdisk and RAM (and thus your motherboard of course) it can really last long.
Instead of killing Tageditor with CTRL+ALT+DEL check the processes and look, if TE is consuming CPU power. As long it does, you have to wait.

[Edited at 2009-02-18 22:00 GMT]

Ireland
Member (2006)
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A long wait Feb 18, 2009

Hi Jerzy,

I have 2 fairly new (

Ireland
Member (2006)
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
? Feb 18, 2009

I lost my message there....

The 2 computers i use are new and high-spec, but I have given them an hour and more, no joy.

When I tried opening the files in Tageditor the first few times I only got three lines (sheet 1, sheet 2...etc)

When I do try saving the one file I managed to open and translate, I get the familiar message *can't find original file'...but that should not be the problem, the original is there

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Which Excel-version? Feb 18, 2009

Which Trados-version?

You can send me the file if you are interested to info at doku minus trans dot de

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Characters misinterpreted as forum code Feb 18, 2009

Hi Diarmuid,
The characters you used ("(" and "less than") were interpreted as code - here's what you wrote:

Diarmuid Kennan wrote:

Hi Jerzy,

I have 2 fairly new ( (less than) 1 year), reasonably high-spec machines. I have tried waiting an hour or more, no joy.

3 things I didn't mention before: when I try opening the excel file in Tageditor, it often opens with just 2-3 lines /sheet 1, sheet 2 etc). The ttx file insists on having the ending: xls.ttx. When I try saving as target, I get the familiar old massage "can't find the original file"

Best, Ralf

[Edited at 2009-02-18 22:03 GMT]

Ireland
Member (2006)
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks guys Feb 18, 2009

Thanks both for your help!

Jerzy, I tried sending the document to you..is that 'doku minus trans' all supposed to be one word (no spaces). Sorry, but I'm not sure if I'm being a bit thick or I'm just tired!

Rod Walters  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 03:24
Japanese to English
Overlong Sheet names? Feb 18, 2009

Diarmuid,

My list of things to try looks like this:

Right-click on the Excel file icon and have a look at the file Properties. See if there are any unusual settings there.

Open the Excel file and look at Tools > Options and check through the tabs, especially Security.

When you open the Excel file in TagEditor, are you sure that you opened it as an Excel file? Dragging and dropping an Excel file into TagEditor when the last thing you translated was PowerPoint may result in some of the behaviour you described.

If you have been able to translate but not clean up, one problem might be overlong sheet names. That stops cleanup dead, and you don't get much feedback about what the problem is. Check the length of other very full-looking cells too. I believe there are size restrictions that apply.

"I feel your pain".

Ireland
Member (2006)
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Suceess!!! Feb 19, 2009

Success!

I'm not sure what did it, the security options, as Rod suggested (Tools>Security>I unchecked everything) or patience, as Jerzy suggested (I set Trageditor to work opening the document: in the morning it was open. I translated it from the memory and saved as target: Bingo!).

What a relief!

Thanks guys for your help and especially for letting me vent my frustration)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help, Tageditor can't open Excel file

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs