Mobile menu

Displaying Japanese in SDLX TM
Thread poster: toubabou
Local time: 14:49
English to French
Feb 18, 2009

I have a Japanese to English .TXT file which display properly in both Excel or Wordpad, but when I import it in SDLX Maintain (TM management module) the Japanese font is not displayed, I get small squares instead.

I tried in vain every possible character encoding for japanese during the import process (6 different Japanese ones + Unicode UTF-8). Worse yet, once the TM was created, I exported it in .tmx format and open this file in Wordpad to find out that the japanese characters are properly displayed.

Since the problem seems to come from the display in SDLX, I tried to change the display font for japanese (source language) but I can't find anything in the list which would work.

Any suggestion would be much appreciated?

[Edited at 2009-02-18 18:35 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

RieM  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:49
English to Japanese
+ ...
Japanese fonts? Feb 19, 2009

Hi Gilbert,

I suspect that you are running an US/non-Japanese version of XP or Vista. If so, check to see if you have East Asian Fonts installed (Control Panel - Regional and Language Options - Languages tab - Supplemental Language Support.) This process will ask you to insert your XP CD in order to copy the font files, and probably to reboot. You don't need to install JP keyboard (or IME) unless you would like to type in Japanese.

I have the same configuration and have no problem displaying the Japanese fonts within SDLX maintain.

If you have the fonts installed, please let me know. I don't believe SDLX has restriction in the number of languages it can handle per license, but you never know...

The fact that you see small squares means that SDL is doing what it's told to do during the import process. I have a feeling that the application reads "FontTable", which is located at the beginning of a .txt file and tried to apply the fonts specified there.

Good luck

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Displaying Japanese in SDLX TM

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs