+ ...
Feb 19, 2009

THE BUG FROM HELL:

I am running:
Win XP
Word 2002
Trados 7.0 build 615

Here is how it started:

”My Word is really buggy, and crashes a lot. When I reopen documents and then close again it asks me - "Would you like to save changes to TRADOS7.dot?". I think this must be the cause of the problem, as this started along with the bugginess. Any ideas? Help!!!”

I was told there was a previous question with the same problem:
... See more
THE BUG FROM HELL:

I am running:
Win XP
Word 2002
Trados 7.0 build 615

Here is how it started:

”My Word is really buggy, and crashes a lot. When I reopen documents and then close again it asks me - "Would you like to save changes to TRADOS7.dot?". I think this must be the cause of the problem, as this started along with the bugginess. Any ideas? Help!!!”

I was told there was a previous question with the same problem:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/102029-save_changes_in_trados8.html

And provided with a solution:
http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=2086&p=1

The solution worked for a day, then the problem came back. I tried all variations of the solution and finally gave up; it always came back almost immediately.

So, I ran system recover, worked for one day.

Then I had had it, I was going to kill the bug or it was going to kill me, so I rebooted my entire system from the recovery disk: at least two whole days of wasted time reinstalling everything under the sun. It was gone, finally.

So now, IT’S BACK after a two week hiatus, and I know it is only going to get worse to the point where I will have to reboot again. The only thing I can think to do is reboot the whole system and also remove all old word files and never open them again.

It hasn't sread to my other computer, and all kinds of files pass from this on to the other. Hmmmm ...

CAN ANYONE KILL THIS BUG? HELP!!!!

Ben
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 03:34
English to Czech
+ ...
Uhm... Feb 19, 2009

What about removing "Normal.dot" and creating a new one just by starting Word?
What about re-installing MS Office?

Not sure about either of them but might help. BTW, how long has it been since you reinstalled Windows? I do that at least every two years.

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:34
French to English
+ ...
Suggestion Feb 19, 2009

This might not be relevant, but I had a lot of problems with Word crashing when I was running Trados 7. The trouble was partially caused by 'Smart tags' in Word 2003 - go to Tools>Options>Save (tab) and untick 'Embed smart tags' and see if this helps. I find I sometimes have to this multiple times as the box seems to tick itself...

I know it doesn't seem to respond to what you describe, but at this stage anything is worth trying, right?

Edit: oh well, perhaps it will he
... See more
This might not be relevant, but I had a lot of problems with Word crashing when I was running Trados 7. The trouble was partially caused by 'Smart tags' in Word 2003 - go to Tools>Options>Save (tab) and untick 'Embed smart tags' and see if this helps. I find I sometimes have to this multiple times as the box seems to tick itself...

I know it doesn't seem to respond to what you describe, but at this stage anything is worth trying, right?

Edit: oh well, perhaps it will help someone else in the future! Good luck finding a solution...

[Edited at 2009-02-19 15:52 GMT]
Collapse

Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
Forget Word and use TagEditor Feb 19, 2009

If it's possible, use TagEditor instead of Word. I have had the same problems and only use Word when required explicitly by the client.

BR Jørgen

S Ben Price
S Ben Price  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2008)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
response to three options Feb 19, 2009

Stanislav - "What about removing "Normal.dot" and creating a new one just by starting Word?
What about re-installing MS Office?" Did both, did not work. I reinstalled EVERYTHING including the operating system - absolutely everything, erased every program on my computer and started over from zero - about two weeks ago.

Angela, I am familiar with the smart tags problem too. Thanks though

Jorgen, than
... See more
Stanislav - "What about removing "Normal.dot" and creating a new one just by starting Word?
What about re-installing MS Office?" Did both, did not work. I reinstalled EVERYTHING including the operating system - absolutely everything, erased every program on my computer and started over from zero - about two weeks ago.

Angela, I am familiar with the smart tags problem too. Thanks though

Jorgen, thanks. I would hate to have to work in Tegeditor all the time. I think I may try my ultra-drastic solution before I resort to that (Re-OS and never open any old Word files)

Thanks everyone,
Ben
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 04:34
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Whu not ignore? Feb 19, 2009

If it is just the box asking if you want to save changes in Trados.dot, why not click no and go on with more important issues? I have this only when I close Word, asking me about saving changes in Wordfast.dot. I close Word only when rebooting the system once a week.

Cheers
Heinrich

S Ben Price
S Ben Price  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2008)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
why not ignore? Feb 19, 2009

"If it is just the box asking if you want to save changes in Trados.dot" No, it is much, much worse than that. I can't work in Word AT ALL. It gets worse and worse and in the end nothing works, nothing at all. So, impossible to ignore.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:34
English to French
+ ...
In my case, it's MultiTerm Feb 19, 2009

Every time I quit Word, I am asked if I want to save the MultiTerm template. I just say no, and that's all there is to it.

I am afraid there is no way to get rid of this. The reason why is that every time you open Word, the Trados template is also loaded (duh! Word is configured to load it), so it's obvious Word wants to know whether it should save it before you quit. Pretty much all macro packages, save for a few, will ask you this question. Just learn to live with it.

... See more
Every time I quit Word, I am asked if I want to save the MultiTerm template. I just say no, and that's all there is to it.

I am afraid there is no way to get rid of this. The reason why is that every time you open Word, the Trados template is also loaded (duh! Word is configured to load it), so it's obvious Word wants to know whether it should save it before you quit. Pretty much all macro packages, save for a few, will ask you this question. Just learn to live with it.

And never opening old Word files will not change anything - they have nothing to do with the problem. The problem is Word, and as long as you use it, you will have that little dialogue box to tackle.

[Edited at 2009-02-19 17:56 GMT]
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:34
English to French
+ ...
Could it be... Feb 19, 2009

Is it possible that you have other templates and macros loaded in Word and they are just taking up too much room? Is your installation of Word interacting with several other programs? For example, if you installed dictionary toolbars, search bars, etc., you may have too many of them and it could be that they are slowing Word down. Or maybe one of these is buggy.

I also used to have several translation-related add-ins in Word, and once I got rid of all but the truly necessary ones, W
... See more
Is it possible that you have other templates and macros loaded in Word and they are just taking up too much room? Is your installation of Word interacting with several other programs? For example, if you installed dictionary toolbars, search bars, etc., you may have too many of them and it could be that they are slowing Word down. Or maybe one of these is buggy.

I also used to have several translation-related add-ins in Word, and once I got rid of all but the truly necessary ones, Word started behaving.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TRADOS7.dot - THE BUG FROM HELL

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »