Trados Synergy: add another file to existing project
Thread poster: Hanna Burdon

Hanna Burdon  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:50
English to Polish
+ ...
Feb 19, 2009

I apologize for a potentially silly question, it seems like it should be an easy thing to do, and yet I can't figure out how. It's actually the first time I've used Synergy and I quite like working with a project, being able to monitor its progress etc. But the client sent an extra file which I would like to add to the existing project - how do I do that? I've had a look at the help file but I can't find anything about adding files other than within the "Create New Project Wizard".

Direct link Reply with quote

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:50
English to French
+ ...
No way Feb 19, 2009

This can't be done with an existing project. If you really want to add a file, you would need to delete the project and create a new one. It would seem that making projects editable in Synergy slipped Trados developers' minds - what a shame!

Kitty Maerz  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:50
English to German
+ ...
Really? Feb 19, 2009

I too have been struggling with this question and just assumed that my problems were due to the fact that I am a comparatively new Trados user. It seems hard to believe that Trados wouldn't anticipate the need to add or change files at a later date. After all, I can't be the only one with clients who forget files the first time around or send the wrong ones!

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
You wanted what? Feb 19, 2009

Flexibility in Synergy? Files added or removed on the fly? Files replaced with new files from the client when you had already translated some of them? Are you kidding?

Honestly, SDL's invention with Synergy might come handy for some PMs and working methods, but the tool is far from being useful for real life in most workflows. That's my opinion at least after fiddling around with the tool for some time.

It strikes me that the most "German" (in the sense of rigid, user unfriendly) tool in Trados was made when Trados was no longer German... but English.

[Edited at 2009-02-19 16:47 GMT]

MGL  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Russian to English
I tried, I gave up. Feb 19, 2009

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Flexibility in Synergy? Files added or removed on the fly? Files replaced with new files from the client when you had already translated some of them? Are you kidding?

Honestly, SDL's invention with Synergy might come handy for some PMs and working methods, but the tool is far from being useful for real life in most workflows. That's my opinion at least after fiddling around with the tool for some time.

It strikes me that the most "German" (in the sense of rigid, user unfriendly) tool in Trados was made when Trados was no longer German... but English.

Exactly.
I have definitively given up on Synergy. It is soooooo cumbersome. I gave it the old college try when I got it, but it didn't take too long before I went back to my trusty XL sheets.

Hanna Burdon  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:50
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 19, 2009

This is so unfortunate, and silly! But thank you so much in saving me the time trying to figure out how to do the impossible.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
;) Feb 19, 2009

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Seconded again. You seem to read my mind, Tomás.

Birthe Omark  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2006)
French to Danish
+ ...
yes if only ... Synergy could be more user friendly Feb 20, 2009

Thank you for the thread. It seems that we are many, who would like the possibility of adding files to an existing project.

Maybe we could entice the good development team at SDL to set eyes on the problem.

Enjoy the upcoming weekend.
Birthe

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
SDL Ideas Feb 20, 2009

Birthe Omark wrote:

Thank you for the thread. It seems that we are many, who would like the possibility of adding files to an existing project.

Maybe we could entice the good development team at SDL to set eyes on the problem.

Enjoy the upcoming weekend.
Birthe

Hi Birthe,
you can do so on Translationzone.com in the Ideas section.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Synergy: add another file to existing project

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums