https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/128158-how_to_get_bilingual_file.html

How to get bilingual file
Thread poster: Kitty Maerz
Kitty Maerz
Kitty Maerz  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:12
English to German
+ ...
Feb 20, 2009

I apologize for asking something that is surely extremely easy for all those of you that have been working with Trados for a while. Unfortunately, I am somewhat confused and doing a forum search didn't really help either (due to the sheer number of Trados problems).

What I want to do is actually something quite simple: My client wants a bilingual file that shows him the original text (in English), followed by the translation (German). If I clean the file after translating, the sourc
... See more
I apologize for asking something that is surely extremely easy for all those of you that have been working with Trados for a while. Unfortunately, I am somewhat confused and doing a forum search didn't really help either (due to the sheer number of Trados problems).

What I want to do is actually something quite simple: My client wants a bilingual file that shows him the original text (in English), followed by the translation (German). If I clean the file after translating, the source text is removed (obviously). I realize that I can save the file as a bilingual file. However, in that case it keeps all the pink tags etc. The client is a direct client and presumably doesn't have Trados. Can he even open a bilingual (Trados) file and if so, will he see all the pink stuff as well?

Basically, all I want is a regular Word-doc that has each sentence in the source language followed by its translation. Am I making this more complicated than it is?

If someone could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it!

[Edited at 2009-02-20 21:48 GMT]
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:12
English to French
+ ...
Would a side-by-side version do? Feb 21, 2009

I am not sure if the client really specifically wants a file where each source sentence is followed by its translation - it sounds to me as though the client simply wants to know what part of the translation corresponds to what source text. In such cases, it is best to go paragraph by paragraph, rather than sentence by sentence, especially since you may want to break down a sentence into two as you translate, or merge two sentences into one.

I suggest to simply create a table in Wor
... See more
I am not sure if the client really specifically wants a file where each source sentence is followed by its translation - it sounds to me as though the client simply wants to know what part of the translation corresponds to what source text. In such cases, it is best to go paragraph by paragraph, rather than sentence by sentence, especially since you may want to break down a sentence into two as you translate, or merge two sentences into one.

I suggest to simply create a table in Word. In one column, you would paste the source text as provided by the client, and in the other column, you would paste your cleaned translation. Then, you can insert white space between each paragraph to make sure that each paragraph is aligned with its translation. You can also create an Excel table the same way.

Otherwise, you would have to simply send the uncleaned file. The client will see the pink stuff, and it may be hard on his eyes. I guess you need to check with the client why he needs such a bilingual file, and that will give you an idea of the best solution.
Collapse

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 19:12
English to Spanish
Here is what I do: Feb 21, 2009

Select all text.

On the menu bar:

FORMAT > FONT > Disable hidden text.

Now, you have to delete all the "pink stuff". That's easy, though a fussy task that you can do through the Search > Replace (with two spaces).

Leave the source text as is (blue), and the target text as is (black).

That's it.

Kitty Maerz
Kitty Maerz  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Feb 21, 2009

You've both been very helpful. Viktoria is right: The client just needs both source and target text to know which part corresponds to which.

I am not quite sure yet which of these solutions I will end up using. I think I will try each one to find out which one is less of a hassle and then go with that one (there are over twenty files so I want to do this task as efficiently as possible).

Anyway, I am sure one these methods will do the trick. Thanks again!

gabor_varkonyi
gabor_varkonyi  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Covert to bilingual table Feb 21, 2009

1. Make all text visible (select all - format - font - uncheck hidden text).
2. Delete all ping numbers (search field ^#, format - font - pint, replace field: remains empty)
3. Replace all with a tab using search and replace
4. Delete (replace with nothing) all
3. Select all and "convert text to table.

This way you'll get a table where the left hand column contains the source segments and the right hand column contains the target segments.

gabor_varkonyi
gabor_varkonyi  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Correction Feb 21, 2009

Since your text is bound to contain tabs (e.g. it has bulleted lists), it is better to replace the strings with something that is unique (like 'XYZ123@') and use this as the delimiter when converting the text to table.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to get bilingual file

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »