Lu Zou  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 08:34
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Feb 21, 2009

Dear All

I am using the TagEditor of SDL Trados 2006 Freelance to work on some xml files, with the TM provided by the client. The Chinese characters are fine in the TM and the translation, but after the translation is cleaned and returned to xml file, some Chinese characters are replaced with the square bulletin points. Also, it seems that I could edit the Chinese characters directly on xml file.

By the way, of the font setting in TM, target language is Chinese (PRC), w
... See more
Dear All

I am using the TagEditor of SDL Trados 2006 Freelance to work on some xml files, with the TM provided by the client. The Chinese characters are fine in the TM and the translation, but after the translation is cleaned and returned to xml file, some Chinese characters are replaced with the square bulletin points. Also, it seems that I could edit the Chinese characters directly on xml file.

By the way, of the font setting in TM, target language is Chinese (PRC), while target default font is SimSun. I am using Windows XP3 (English version).

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Lu
Collapse

RieM
RieM  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:34
English to Japanese
+ ...
two questions Feb 22, 2009

Hi,

1. Which application did you use to open/view the cleaned xml file? Did you double-click and view it within a browser? Did you choose a specific application such as Word or a text editor?

2. Is there a line like:

Lu Zou
Australia
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It seems OK now Feb 22, 2009

Hi Rie

You just reminded me. When I open the file with Firefox, the characters are displayed correctly.

I was using Tageditor to view the clean xml file, and saw the corrupted character.

It seems that everything is OK now.

Thanks anyway.

Lu

RieM
RieM  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:34
English to Japanese
+ ...
great! Feb 23, 2009

Hi Lu,

My reply was truncated (I inserted xml encoding line ) and I'm sorry I didn't check before hitting the Submit. Anyhow, I'm glad it's fine.

Regards,
Rie

Lu Zou
Australia
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 23, 2009

Thanks Rie

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Corrupted Chinese Characters

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »