Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
How do I find where I stopped last night?
Thread poster: Olav Karlsen
Olav Karlsen
Olav Karlsen
Norway
Local time: 06:44
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Feb 23, 2009

Hi, when translating large files with quite a few pre-translated inserts I sometimes feel lost when resuming work I saved the night before. In Deja Vu X I can save a marker showing where I stopped, but haven't found any tool so far in Trados doing the same job. If it hasn't been implemented yet, I suggest that the Trados people should make it!

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:44
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
I insert my own symbols... Feb 23, 2009

Olav Gregers Karlsen wrote:

Hi, when translating large files with quite a few pre-translated inserts I sometimes feel lost when resuming work I saved the night before. In Deja Vu X I can save a marker showing where I stopped, but haven't found any tool so far in Trados doing the same job. If it hasn't been implemented yet, I suggest that the Trados people should make it!

When I work in both applications, Trados WorkBench or Trados TagEditor, I place a special marker (a unique sequence of characters) in two situations:

Any point to which I want to come back at a later moment (for example a word whose translation is not yet entirely satisfying, or a word that I leave temporarily untranslated, etc.)
Placing a marker has the advantage of allowing me to progress. In many instances the solution will come spontaneously, after I mull it over in my head for some time, or after I understand better the text and other options are eliminated.

The point where I stop my work, before a break or at the end of the working day.

My automatic action, when resuming work, is to search for the marker number 2.
When I find a solution for the points marked as 1. I can also retrieve them quickly and finalize the missing translation or the temporary solution.

Just for information, my markers are @@ for a term, @@@ for a term that appears multiple times (I may mark it only once), and @@@@@ for a stopping point.
I could use !!! or ???, but I find @@@ a lot more visible and got used to them.

Gianfranco

[Edited at 2009-02-23 20:37 GMT]

Traduloc
Traduloc
Spain
English to Spanish
no way Feb 23, 2009

I believe there is no other way but to insert your own symbols to find it fast.
Regards,
José Luis

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
"stopped here" Feb 23, 2009

You can easily enter the text "stopped right here" and search for it (CTRL + F).

Sherefedin MUSTAFA
Sherefedin MUSTAFA
Netherlands
Dutch to Albanian
+ ...
xxx Feb 23, 2009

The last segment I usualy translate by "xxx" and close it by Set/Close.
The next day I open the file, go to Edit/Find, type "xx" or "xxx" in the search for case and find the segment to start with.

Best regards,
Sherefedin

Olav Karlsen
Olav Karlsen
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A good solution while we wait for Trados to make a better solution! Feb 23, 2009

Thank you all for your suggestions as to how I could find my way in Trados Freelance 2007! This was the way I used to do it in the old DOS word processors, before I e.g. could colour a line as a marker. Atril came up with a solution years ago. Now Trados should make a move, I think.

Boris Kimel
Boris Kimel  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 07:44
English to Russian
+ ...
Dollar signs Feb 23, 2009

And about ten of them. Dunno why
And using just "Close" without "Set" to keep the TM clean but to be able to save.

And thanks, the topic title is just great!

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Comment in TagEditor Feb 23, 2009

Since I work 99,99% of the time with TagEditor, I just add a comment to the segment where I stopped. The next time I open the TTX file, the messages pane lists the comment I had added, I just have to double-click on it to be taken directly to that segment. Then it's just a question of deleting the comment and voilà

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 00:44
Spanish
+ ...
Colors Feb 23, 2009

I use the Color feature in Workbench: Options>Translated Text Colours... so Trados automatically changes the colors in all the segments that have been modified. I use blue to mark the source segment, dark green for the 100% matches and dark red for the fuzzy or the segments that I just close. Once the segment is cleaned, all the text changes back to its original colors.

Collapse

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Ando Tools (for Word) Feb 23, 2009

If you're working in Word with WB, it's worthwhile installing the freeware Ando toolbar:

http://atools.dotsrc.org/

One of the buttons inserts a bookmark where you leave off and another finds it when you re-open the document. And you don't have to be working in Trados to use it.

HTH

Giles

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
This becoming a global trend... Feb 23, 2009

gianfranco wrote:
markers are @@ for a term, @@@ for a term that appears multiple times (I may mark it only once), and @@@@@ for a stopping point.
I could use !!! or ???, but I find @@@ a lot more visible and got used to them.

I came across this recipe a year ago while working with one agency. They offered not to waste time and mark dubious terms with double @ before the term ...

Congeniality... ?

Since that time, I taught many other agencies this rule and made them happy!

"@@" is becoming a recognized tag!

It's a good recipe. It works.

But, more often, I just run "Fuzzy" from the very beginning of the file every day (with the spellcheker on) just to make sure the job done does not contain silly mistakes... It takes minutes, but makes you confident...

[Редактировалось 2009-02-23 22:08 GMT]

Hector Aires
Hector Aires  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:44
English to Spanish
+ ...
I use the name of my youngest daughter... Feb 23, 2009

Lara, who is my right hand at the office, as well.

But you can use the name of an old girlfriend or lover (not recommended if your wife uses to watch what are you writing on), or your favorite flower, or car brand, chances are endless..

Cheers
Héctor

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 05:44
German to English
+ ...
How about just avoiding the problem? Feb 23, 2009

Olav, you could just do your Trados project in DVX (you know, with the usual pre-segmentation workflow), and then you wouldn't have this problem. No need to type silly characters and search for them or pray to the gods at SDL.

This approach may keep you healthier and happier in other ways as well

That said, I rather like Claudia's solution with the color settings. I don't think that's an option in TagEdito
... See more
Olav, you could just do your Trados project in DVX (you know, with the usual pre-segmentation workflow), and then you wouldn't have this problem. No need to type silly characters and search for them or pray to the gods at SDL.

This approach may keep you healthier and happier in other ways as well

That said, I rather like Claudia's solution with the color settings. I don't think that's an option in TagEditor though, is it?

[Edited at 2009-02-23 22:54 GMT]
Collapse

Anmol
Anmol
Local time: 11:14
Use of colors Feb 24, 2009

Since Word is the underlying basis for editing in Trados, you can use any Word feature to mark your text. One such feature is the bookmark.

However, bookmarks are not visual enough in Word, and I prefer to use colors to highlight portions of the text as I translate - red for areas that need attention before being finalized, blue for source errors, brown for < 100% matches with minor changes, and so on. The colored portions of the text are not affected when the file is cleaned, i
... See more
Since Word is the underlying basis for editing in Trados, you can use any Word feature to mark your text. One such feature is the bookmark.

However, bookmarks are not visual enough in Word, and I prefer to use colors to highlight portions of the text as I translate - red for areas that need attention before being finalized, blue for source errors, brown for < 100% matches with minor changes, and so on. The colored portions of the text are not affected when the file is cleaned, incidentally, unlike Trados' native color schemes, which is useful.

Note that you CAN search for colors using Word's Search, so this approach is as powerful as using tags such as @@ in the text.

[Edited at 2009-02-24 05:47 GMT]
Collapse

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
Colours, too Feb 24, 2009

Actually, I only came across this functionality last week. I mean, I knew that it existed, but I thought of it as nothing but a choice of taste. Then, last week I was proofreading a large text, on which the translator had used a different colour combination than the one I normally use. As I went through the segments, the colour changed and it helped me the following day catch up from where I had left it.

Actually, this feature can be helpful with Word documents, but I don't think i
... See more
Actually, I only came across this functionality last week. I mean, I knew that it existed, but I thought of it as nothing but a choice of taste. Then, last week I was proofreading a large text, on which the translator had used a different colour combination than the one I normally use. As I went through the segments, the colour changed and it helped me the following day catch up from where I had left it.

Actually, this feature can be helpful with Word documents, but I don't think it is possible with TagEditor. Therefore, I note down a word or phrase, which I find the next day using the Find function. Someone mentioned inserting something like a name (his daughter's name) which would normally not exist in the source text and would therefore be easy to locate. This sounds like a good idea.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I find where I stopped last night?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »