https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/128383-perfect_text_in_word_gibberish_in_tm.html

Perfect text in Word, gibberish in TM
Thread poster: Yael Deutsch
Yael Deutsch
Yael Deutsch  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 06:31
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Feb 24, 2009

I'm translating into Hebrew and use Trados 7.5.
I know already to clean irrelevant fonts (mostly Asiatic) and languages through Macro>Script editor. This way, the translated segment does not change into gibberish (like: çáøä áéðìàåîéú ìáðééï åðãì") when I close it.
However, lately I have experienced a new problem: the text becomes gibberish in the TM (and this is a TM I myself created), while it's perfectly correct in the Word file. More specifically, when I us
... See more
I'm translating into Hebrew and use Trados 7.5.
I know already to clean irrelevant fonts (mostly Asiatic) and languages through Macro>Script editor. This way, the translated segment does not change into gibberish (like: çáøä áéðìàåîéú ìáðééï åðãì") when I close it.
However, lately I have experienced a new problem: the text becomes gibberish in the TM (and this is a TM I myself created), while it's perfectly correct in the Word file. More specifically, when I use concordance to find certain terms, I see the entire segment or part of it corrupted, even if I just closed the segment and it looks perfect in Word. I'm editing the TM almost after each segment and at leas 3-4 times out of 10 I see the gibberish.
First I thought that it happened when I copied terms from concordance, afterward I noticed that it happened when I copied from the very file on which I was working and lately - I have no bright idea what causes this to happen, apart maybe pauses in the middle of the open segment, when I check terms in the web. Needless to say how time consuming is this editing but the other alternative is a corrupted TM...

Another phenomenon of the same subject:
I cannot import or clean files translated in Trados 6.5: most of the text becomes gibberish in my TM and naturally, this is what I get on my screen.

Many thanks in advance,

Yael
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:31
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Still it most certainly is a font issue Feb 24, 2009

Which font is used in Word? Does it match the font in style?
Most probably your Word document was originaly created with a font you don't have in your PC. Word reformats the document using a font existing in your PC (ie Arial). When you close the segment, Trados assumes, it shall use the Hebrew version of the non existen font and mixes up the code page.
Try to reformat all the document to Arial for example, adapt styles and languages.
Better way: use Tageditor.

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:31
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
UTF-8 encoding for Trados 7, ANSI for previous versions Feb 24, 2009

The translation memories (*.txt) of the new Trados version use UTF-8 code, while the oldests versions (such as 6.5) use another format (I'm not sure if ANSI). The translation memories of files translated in Trados 6 should them be saved as a text file with UTF-8 encoding, and them imported back to the new translation memory.

Kind regards

Clarisa

Yael Deutsch
Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Gibberish in TM Feb 25, 2009

Thanks a lot for your input, Jerzy and Clarisa. Answering in chronological order:
Jerzy, the original was Time New Roman and unfortunately, TagEditor 7.5 does not work with Word - at least not with Hebrew.
Clarisa, I will try your method of importing TM for 6.5 to 7.5 - though this does not solve the problem of cleaning in 7.5 a file created in 6.5:-)
All the best,
Yael

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:31
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A suggestion Mar 13, 2009

a month later!
What about exporting the corrupted translation memory (the one of Trados 7), save the extported text file as UTF-8 and them reimport in to Workbench, selecting "Overwrite" function?

Kind regards

Clarisa

Yael Deutsch
Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Gibberish in TM; remedy: UTF-8 encoding for Trados 7, ANSI for previous versions Mar 15, 2009

Dear Clarisa,
Unfortunately, it does not work. I exported a corrupted TM, saved it as UTF-8, imported it into a newly created TM, looked for the corrupted translations and it was right there, waiting for me
Nevertheless, thanks a lot for you time and good will.
Yael

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Perfect text in Word, gibberish in TM

Translation news related to SDL Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »