Is it possible to analyse a file without any TM?
Thread poster: Marion Delarue
Marion Delarue
Marion Delarue  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:46
Spanish to French
+ ...
Feb 24, 2009

Hello everybody!

The thing is that a client sent me a pdf document and asks me to give him an estimate of what the translation is going to cost him.

He tells me that the estimate has to take into account the repetitions and the 95-99% and the 94-85% matches.

What I thought is copy and paste the document in a Word document, and analyse this document in TWB to see if there is internal

... See more
Hello everybody!

The thing is that a client sent me a pdf document and asks me to give him an estimate of what the translation is going to cost him.

He tells me that the estimate has to take into account the repetitions and the 95-99% and the 94-85% matches.

What I thought is copy and paste the document in a Word document, and analyse this document in TWB to see if there is internal

repetitions.

It is what I did and the result seems quite possible. The wordcount matches more or less with the wordcount of the document in Word,

and it gives me somme repetitions.

But I checked the Log file and it seems that Trados used a TM to do the analysing.

What do you think of all this?

Could you help me please?

Thanks
Collapse

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Empty TM Feb 24, 2009

As far as I know, Trados always uses a TM for analysis, in your case probably the one you opened last.

You can create a new, empty TM for your analysis, if you like, and delete it afterwards.

docktrans
docktrans
English to German
Analyse a file without any TM Feb 24, 2009

Hello Marion,

TRADOS always uses a TM when analysing a file.

When you open TRADOS, the TM that was used last is opened automatically which has the disadvantage that your existing memory data are used for the analysis.

I would recommend to create an empty TM called "Analysis" together with the name for the language pair, which you can use to analyse your new data without mixing it up with your existing data.

Hope, this helps - have a good time
... See more
Hello Marion,

TRADOS always uses a TM when analysing a file.

When you open TRADOS, the TM that was used last is opened automatically which has the disadvantage that your existing memory data are used for the analysis.

I would recommend to create an empty TM called "Analysis" together with the name for the language pair, which you can use to analyse your new data without mixing it up with your existing data.

Hope, this helps - have a good time - Renate Dockhorn
Collapse

Marina Soldati
Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 10:46
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Did your client provide a TM? Feb 24, 2009

Marion Delarue wrote:

If you client didn´t provide a TM for the translation, you should analyse the file with an empty TM, as other colleagues suggested, but you won´t get any 95-99% or 94-85% matches. All you´ll get are repetitions and 0% matches.

Regards,
Marina

[Edited at 2009-02-24 16:46 GMT]

Marion Delarue
Marion Delarue  Identity Verified
France
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
empty TM Feb 24, 2009

Hello, and thank you for your answers.

This is what I will do.

Thanks again.

Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
Analysis with an empty TM Feb 24, 2009

When analysing with an empty TM, you only get no matches and repetitions.
There are no fuzzy matches when analysing with an empty TM.

If your client expects you to analyse the file without providing a TM and asking to fuzzy matches, s/he simply doesn't know what s/he's doing!

Remember to charge for converting from PDF!

Jørgen

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Exactly Feb 24, 2009

Jørgen Madsen wrote:

When analysing with an empty TM, you only get no matches and repetitions.
There are no fuzzy matches when analysing with an empty TM.

If your client expects you to analyse the file without providing a TM and asking to fuzzy matches, s/he simply doesn't know what s/he's doing!

Remember to charge for converting from PDF!

Jørgen

I would also recommend that you OCR the PDF document, not just copy-paste into Word because Word will include a hard return at the end of each line. That means that Trados will segment (and analyze) the text by lines, not by sentences.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »