Mobile menu

Cannot find TM
Thread poster: Nathalie Reis

Nathalie Reis  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:32
English to French
Feb 24, 2009

Just bought SDL trados and am already stumbling on a little problem. My client sent me a TM, which I believe I have imported successfully. Then I opened workbench and when I try to open TM, it says the system cannot find the file specified. Am I doing sthg wrong?

Direct link Reply with quote

Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 23:32
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Maybe Feb 24, 2009

Maybe you changed the location of the TM from the client after you imported it. If so, open the TM from Workbench in its new location.

HTH

docktrans
Local time: 07:32
English to German
Your question: Cannot find TM Feb 24, 2009

Hello Nathalie,

the most efficient way to make sure that I find all my memories is:

1) Create a new folder named "TMs" or similar on the hard disk.

2) Copy the memory with all files the client sent you into this folder (in case he really sent the whole memory not just the exported .txt.)

3) Open TRADOS and choose File/Open from the TRADOS menu. Klick on the arrow beside "Search in" and choose the memory from the folder you stored the memory in. TRADOS will come back to this folder each time you wish to open a memory then (unless you choose a new folder).

In case the client sent you the exported memory as .txt:

1) Create a new folder named "TM" or similar on the hard disk.

2) Store the .txt file in this folder

3) Create a new memory in TRADOS: From the File menu choose: New, enter source and tartet language, klick on Create, choose folder "TMs" by clicking on the small arrow beside "Save in" , enter a file name and click on "Save".

4) In the File menu click on "Import" - and (at the moment) - leave the settings unchanged.

5) Klick on "OK".

6) Klick on the small arrow beside "Search in" to open the pull-down menu from which you can choose the "TM" folder. TRADOS will show you the .txt file stored.

7) Choose the file to be imported and click on "Open". TRADOS starts the import process and gives you an information whether the import was successful and how many segments are imported.

Hope, this helps - have a good day - Renate Dockhorn

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 07:32
English to Czech
+ ...
Your TM is exactly where you saved it... Feb 24, 2009

...provided you haven't moved or deleted it. Search your harddrive for all files with the TMW extension (*.tmw) and you will find it.
And stick to Renate's instructions. That's a decent way of organizing your TMs.

[Upraveno: 2009-02-24 22:33 GMT]

Nathalie Reis  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:32
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much! Feb 25, 2009

I did find my TM in the end! I followed your instructions which I found incredibly useful. Thank you again!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot find TM

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs