Thread poster: Jan Sundström

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 12:39
English to Swedish
+ ...
Feb 25, 2009

Hi all,

There were trouble with CS3 INX files, and we frequently had to downsave them to CS2 INX before working in Trados. Otherwise, the resulting target INX after cleaning was corrupted and couldn't be opened in Indesign at the end.

Now I wonder:
Did anyone try to translate a native CS4 INX file (exported from Indesign CS4) in Trados?
Does it work seamlessly all the way?

Or are we forced to downsave still? I hope that at least it would be possible to go CS4 INX>CS2 INX without going through the additional CS3 step?

Thanks a lot for any input!

/J

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
not yet.. Feb 25, 2009

Hi! as far as I can tell the current trados plug-ins do not support cs4 issues. What I do is a pre-processing, save the cs4 file in a former edition may be cs3 or cs2 or so, extract the text and translate and save back in the corresponding cs2 or cs3 and reload in cs4 and resave it. But the customer should take care of the final layout adjustment, because the later versions beyond cs2 come with a few hundred plug-ins that makes the work for many pre-press and publishers including translators very difficult, which means while going along this way you are infact saving a large amount of industrial costs that would have been real. That should be your image. BR Brandis

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
I have tried... Feb 25, 2009

...the following:
I received several INDD CS3 files, opened and saved them in CS4, translated, and exported. No problem.
The question I didn't deal with, however, was whether the CS3 file saved in CS4 AS CS4, or as CS3. :/

Carmen Moreton
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
You saved them as INX? Feb 26, 2009

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

...the following:
I received several INDD CS3 files, opened and saved them in CS4, translated, and exported. No problem.
The question I didn't deal with, however, was whether the CS3 file saved in CS4 AS CS4, or as CS3. :/

and then translate with TagEditor?
Cheers,

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Yes Feb 26, 2009

Exactly: saved as INX.

Carmen Moreton
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks Feb 26, 2009

a lot Stanislav. Hope SDL will develop something better than INX filter, like IDML filter... INX is not the best editable InDesign format.
Cheers,

CMG

RWSTranslation
Germany
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
INX / IND Feb 27, 2009

Hello,

INX is the file format which is used from Adobe. The only other possibility ist the old way to develop a skript based export filter like the problematic Story Collector.

Working with INX files is ok, if the Indesign files are well formatted. The problem is often is unstructered formatting of the source files.

Hans

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

INX from CS4>Trados: compatible?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs