Mobile menu

Why add entry without the Quick Entry form in Word?
Thread poster: Pavel Tsvetkov

Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 14:17
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Feb 26, 2009

Here is the question: In Word one can add a highlighted term as source but if the Show Quick Entry Form button is not also pressed then a term without a translation is added to the termbase...

What good is that, and why is it possible in the first place (it also being the default rule of adding)?

Direct link Reply with quote

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 06:17
Partial member
Spanish
+ ...
To mark them for the glossary Feb 26, 2009

I was just going to bed so I'll give you a short answer: to mark the terms for the glossary. Say you're working on a long term project or you need to deliver a glossary or you need to create one for whatever reason, you can add the terms to the glossary even if you're doing a draft translation. Then you can complete the terms in Multiterm or add them later when you're doing the final translation. It can be very useful sometimes. But I think that's the default action purely by SDL's unwillingness to change it.

Stuart Hoskins
Local time: 13:17
Czech to English
+ ...
annoying Feb 26, 2009

I can see why someone might need it now Claudia's explained it, but it's so annoying that it's the default. I often have to go through MultiTerm and edit/delete "blank" entries because of this, which really eats into my time.

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 06:17
Partial member
Spanish
+ ...
You can update the incomplete entries Feb 26, 2009

Stuart Hoskins wrote:

I can see why someone might need it now Claudia's explained it, but it's so annoying that it's the default. I often have to go through MultiTerm and edit/delete "blank" entries because of this, which really eats into my time.

You don't need to open MultiTerm to edit the entries, you can complete the target field and select Update. You can even add a definition/notes/etc. to a particular entry and the Update button will add it to an existing entry instead of adding a new one.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why add entry without the Quick Entry form in Word?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs