"Translator's Workbench is not running" grumble
Thread poster: Angela Dickson

Angela Dickson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:54
French to English
+ ...
Feb 26, 2009

I am running SDL Trados v. 7.1.0.719 and am slightly annoyed nearly every day by this message.

It occurs when I am in MS Word, have forgotten to open Workbench, and try to open a segment in my document.

My question is: in later releases/versions, is this fixed? i.e. is there some kind of box saying 'would you like to start Workbench now?' as there is when I start TagEditor up?

I could solve it by remembering to open Workbench first, but a reminder would be nice.

Direct link Reply with quote

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 11:54
English to Czech
+ ...
You need Translator's Workbench to open a segment Feb 26, 2009

Hi Angela,
Translator's Workbench (TWB) is the application where your translation memory is stored and managed. Therefore, if you want to open a segment, you need TWB running. That means, you need to run TWB BEFORE you open the first segment.
There is no reminder in Word.

[Upraveno: 2009-02-26 14:47 GMT]

Diarmuid Kennan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Member (2006)
Danish to English
+ ...
Not fixed Feb 26, 2009

Hi Angela,

I also find this annoying and no, it's not fixed in later versions.

D.

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Why fix at all? Feb 26, 2009

Imagine that everytime you are about to work in Word w/o Trados you get a message reminding you to launch Workbench. Now that would be REALLY annoying.

Angela Dickson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Feb 27, 2009

Stanislav - thank you, I do understand how Workbench works. I do not want a reminder every time I work in Word; I would like a reminder when I try to open a (Trados) segment in Word. It'd just be a little extra - now, it tells me 'Translator's Workbench is not running'. I would like it to say 'Translator's Workbench is not running. Would you like to start it now?'.

Diarmuid - thanks for the confirmation. Perhaps I'll post a request on the relevant part of the SDL website. If that had been fixed, I might have upgraded - anything else in the newer versions that I might like? I'm generally happy enough with my current version that I see little need to upgrade.

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Now I can see what you mean Feb 27, 2009

It'd just be a little extra - now, it tells me 'Translator's Workbench is not running'. I would like it to say 'Translator's Workbench is not running. Would you like to start it now?'.

Yes, this would be fine. Maybe you could post this on Trados Ideas.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Translator's Workbench is not running" grumble

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs