SDL Trados 2007 Suite Freelance
Thread poster: Ute Specht

Ute Specht  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:44
Member (2008)
English to German
Feb 28, 2009

I bought the SDL Trados 2007 Freelance version in January last year. Is it really necessary to upgrade to SDL Trados 2007 Suit Freelance ?? What are the advantages ??
Any comment would be great. Thank you.
Ute

Direct link Reply with quote

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Upgrade? Feb 28, 2009

Is it really necessary to upgrade to SDL Trados 2007 Suite Freelance??

Not really unless you need to localize with Passolo.

Wilmer Brouwer
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Passolo is free Mar 1, 2009

Even Passolo is not a good reason because that was free anyway, wasn't it?

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Not exactly Mar 1, 2009

Wilmer Brouwer wrote:

Passolo used to be free in the Translator version, i.e. one where you could not create projects. You could only translate projects prepared for you by others.
In Passolo Essential, now delivered in the SDL Trados Freelance Suite, you can create projects of your own. However, there are other limitations: you cannot e.g. use StarTransit as a TM together with Passolo. You only can in the higher versions.

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Passolo vs SDLT 2007 SP3... Mar 1, 2009

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Wilmer Brouwer wrote:

Passolo used to be free in the Translator version, i.e. one where you could not create projects. You could only translate projects prepared for you by others.
In Passolo Essential, now delivered in the SDL Trados Freelance Suite, you can create projects of your own. However, there are other limitations: you cannot e.g. use StarTransit as a TM together with Passolo. You only can in the higher versions.

True.
But, in fact, Passolo Essential is too castrated and is not very useful in the real life (yes, I have a "higher"version of Passolo and I know what I'm saying).
So, Passolo Essential is decidely not the reason why one should update to 2007 Suite.

The real reason to upgrade is the fact it's a cumulative update (Service Pack 3) for SDLT 2007.
In theory, some bugs are fixed

Cheers
GG

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Nice wording... Mar 1, 2009

But, in fact, Passolo Essential is too castrated and is not very useful in the real life (yes, I have a "higher"version of Passolo and I know what I'm saying).
So, Passolo Essential is decidely not the reason why one should update to 2007 Suite.

Absolutely. I'm a delighted user of RC WinTrans anyway.

French to Polish
+ ...
The last vintage Trados... Mar 1, 2009

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Absolutely. I'm a delighted user of RC WinTrans anyway.

RC-WinTrans is a great tool but you can't have 'em all...
And one of my major clients works with Passolo, so...

PS.
For me, the reason why I can suggest the upgrade is the fact the 2007 Suite will be the last "vintage" Trados.
The next version will be completely different AFAIK.
So, it'possible the "classic" versions will be used "as is" for several years because of a lot of compatibility reasons.
In this case, it's better to have the last one.
So why I recommend to upgrade.

But in fact, if you decide to upgrade. you'll notice very few changes.
It's just a Trados tax.

Cheers
GG

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
SDL 2009 will be able to work with TTX files Mar 1, 2009

Hi Grzegorz,
For me, the reason why I can suggest the upgrade is the fact the 2007 Suite will be the last "vintage" Trados.

Having had an opportunity for a preview of SDL 2009 at the recent ProZ.com conference in Dortmund, I can confirm that...

So, it'possible the "classic" versions will be used "as is" for several years because of a lot of compatibility reasons.

...but SDL Studio will still be able to work with TTX files.

Best regards,
Ralf

French to Polish
+ ...
Backward compatibility... Mar 1, 2009

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Having had an opportunity for a preview of SDL 2009 at the recent ProZ.com conference in Dortmund, I can confirm that...

Finally, they evolve

...but SDL Studio will still be able to work with TTX files.

As we all (?) know, the TTX backward compatibility was always illusory.
The guys who work with InDesign files will confirm it.
So, I don't believe the next Trados will be a real change here.
I.e. SDL Studio will be able to open TTX files but will be probably unable to save 'em properly... at least some of them...

Cheers
GG

psicutrinius  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Any idea about how [much cost] to upgrade to 2009? Mar 1, 2009

If, as Ralf says, "Studio 2009" is actually a real new app (meaning extensive retraining for starters), I am afraid that people will think twice before upgrading, because of the well known bugs in the "vintage" versions (up to, and including, the "suite"), and the well founded suspicion about bugs in the new one.

Not to mention the additional (an even better founded) suspicion that it will cost an arm and a leg, and that to get support will add to the invoice (about 20% as of now...)

Friderike Butler  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:44
German to English
+ ...
Cost of upgrade Mar 1, 2009

I just upgrade to Studio for $79. An additional $218 got me level 1 support for technical issues including all upgrades for free for one year. This will also cover a free upgrade to the 2009 Trados SDL version once it is available.

The jury is still out whether I will actually opt to delve into 2009 since I am fairly comfortable and content with the current version and the workarounds, but the technical support has always been extremely helpful when I was stuck with a technical issue and my SDL issues have usually been solved in a matter of a couple of hours, so the maintenance by itself is already worth it for my peace of mind.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TTX backward compatibility and InDesign problems are two very different stories Mar 1, 2009

To begin with the Studio: no one knows any prices for the time being.
Fact is, that the developers at SDL are working on something new, which according to Ralf and me could see in Dortmund is really very promising.
Some nice features will make both the beginners and the very advanced users happy.
Well, maybe not everything will be of pure gold there (I've seen at least one big disadvantage to my personal habits, as no up&down view anymore will be offered in at least the first release), but hey, which software is perfect?

As for the compatibility of ttx files, so the problem are not even the ttx files themselves, but in case of InDesign the evolution of INX format (CS2 up to CS3, not downward compatible) and the evolution of the filter.
Adobe will develop another format for InDesign interchange, so this issue should be settled then.
Another thing is a completly new way of working with Framemaker - STagger is not present anymore. We still will work with MIF, but the filter will be completly new.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You indeed have got "Studio"? Mar 1, 2009

Friderike Butler wrote:

I just upgrade to Studio for $79. An additional $218 got me level 1 support for technical issues including all upgrades for free for one year. This will also cover a free upgrade to the 2009 Trados SDL version once it is available.

The jury is still out whether I will actually opt to delve into 2009 since I am fairly comfortable and content with the current version and the workarounds, but the technical support has always been extremely helpful when I was stuck with a technical issue and my SDL issues have usually been solved in a matter of a couple of hours, so the maintenance by itself is already worth it for my peace of mind.

This would be breaking news, as SDL did not even annouce the early beta stage for Studio. I'm quite certain they are not selling it now.
So you must be mistaken and mean "Suite", which is the SDL Trados 2007 Suite version 8.3.0.863.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Studio or Suite? Mar 1, 2009

Hi Friderike,
I just upgrade to Studio for $79.

Are you sure? AFAIK SDL Studio will only be released this summer - I guess you upgraded to SDL Trados 2007 Suite.

The jury is still out whether I will actually opt to delve into 2009 since I am fairly comfortable and content with the current version and the workarounds,

Same here, but what I've seen looked pretty interesting - in particular, the ability to use multiple TMs and the 'AutoSuggest' function look good.

but the technical support has always been extremely helpful when I was stuck with a technical issue and my SDL issues have usually been solved in a matter of a couple of hours, so the maintenance by itself is already worth it for my peace of mind.

That mirrors my experience.

Best,
Ralf

Friderike Butler  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:44
German to English
+ ...
sorry - yes, it's the Suite for $79 Mar 1, 2009

Ralf, you are absolutely right. I upgrade to the Suite which was the mandatory entry/upgrade to be able to purchase the Level 1 PSMA which will then include the Studio once it is available.

I seem to be one of the fewer persons who prefer to work in SDLX rather than Trados, so I already enjoy working with multiple TMs. Still have to do my homework to find out what will be new in SDLX with the 2009 Studio.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados 2007 Suite Freelance

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs