Thread poster: Marco Calcaterra
Marco Calcaterra
Marco Calcaterra  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 10:08
English to Italian
Mar 3, 2009

Dear Proz members,
is there any way to protect a portion of text that's between curly brackets within Tag Editor?

E.g. I have a txt file (which I can convert to .doc or .rtf of course) and this is a sample line:

Dear {NAMECODE}, how are you?

I want {NAMECODE} to be treated as a protected tag. Can this be done with TRADOS 7 FREELANCE?

I'm sure SDL TRADOS does this from the Filter Settings menu, but TRADOS 7 FREELANCE doesn't have the same
... See more
Dear Proz members,
is there any way to protect a portion of text that's between curly brackets within Tag Editor?

E.g. I have a txt file (which I can convert to .doc or .rtf of course) and this is a sample line:

Dear {NAMECODE}, how are you?

I want {NAMECODE} to be treated as a protected tag. Can this be done with TRADOS 7 FREELANCE?

I'm sure SDL TRADOS does this from the Filter Settings menu, but TRADOS 7 FREELANCE doesn't have the same number of options there (e.g. is missing RegExp and the like).

Thanks in advance,
Marco
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Setup in Word Mar 3, 2009

Select the "DO_NOT_TRANSLATE" style in MS Word and apply it on any text you want Workbench to skip. Save the document and open it in TagEditor.

Alternatively, you may also apply the style "tw4winInternal". In this case, all untranslateable text will be shown as internal tags.

Marco Calcaterra
Marco Calcaterra  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Some progress... Apr 8, 2009

Alternatively, you may also apply the style "tw4winInternal". In this case, all untranslateable text will be shown as internal tags.

Thanks a lot Stanislav and sorry for the late reply.
Actually, I needed some way to automate the process instead of doing it manually. I found that Plustools (a tool developed for Wordfast actually) does this quite fine.
There is still a weird TRADOS behaviour though:

When within Word I open a TU containing an internal tag marked as "tw4winInternal", TRADOS lets me edit it, while it shouldn't let me do that.
I tried toggling tag protection on and off, but nothing changed, the "tw4winInternal" text is visualized (correctly) in red, but TRADOS lets me modify it... Very weird.

Wordfast (5.53), on the other hand, skips the red text correctly. Probably I just have to select some option within TRADOS but I really couldn't find which one.
Thanks,
Marco

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Tag-protect" content between {...} in TRADOS 7 FREELANCE

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »