eliminating trados sound effects
Thread poster: Alexandra Speirs
Alexandra Speirs
Alexandra Speirs  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:35
Italian to English
+ ...
Mar 4, 2009

It may not be a big problem, but I was just wondering if there is any way of eliminating the jingle that Trados plays every time I close a sentence. (I'm using Trados 6.5).
I looked in Tools and Options but found nothing.
Of course I could just switch off the speakers, but sometimes I like to have music in the background when I'm working and it's very disturbing to hear these interruptions during a nice bit of Bach, for example!!

RieM
RieM  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:35
English to Japanese
+ ...
Control panels > Sounds (or Sound and Audio devices) > Sounds Mar 4, 2009

Hi Alexandra,

Check the Sounds tab of the Sounds Control Panels (the name might differ.. I have a non-English OS open now. It's the one with a speaker icon).

I'm not sure Trados provides its own program events separately or not, and so the first thing you might want to do is to scroll through the Program Events list to see if you can locate "the Trados segment closing" event. Once it is found, click the Sound (dropdown list below), and select None.

If you
... See more
Hi Alexandra,

Check the Sounds tab of the Sounds Control Panels (the name might differ.. I have a non-English OS open now. It's the one with a speaker icon).

I'm not sure Trados provides its own program events separately or not, and so the first thing you might want to do is to scroll through the Program Events list to see if you can locate "the Trados segment closing" event. Once it is found, click the Sound (dropdown list below), and select None.

If you don't see the particular event, then check the Windows nodes and play the sound (by clicking the arrow icon) to identify the one that annoys you. Make a note of the action and the associated sound (because you might want to change it back later), and change the Sound setting to None. Test within the trados to see if it works...

I had the similar issue with DVX and had to disable some sounds. I know how you feel!

Enjoy Bach!

Rie
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Must be something that goes wrong Mar 4, 2009

Alexandra Speirs wrote:
It may not be a big problem, but I was just wondering if there is any way of eliminating the jingle that Trados plays every time I close a sentence. (I'm using Trados 6.5).

Hm... I think there could be something going wrong here with your Trados setup. I don't get any sound at all when closing a sentence... Do you see any error message in Translator's Workbench's Status bar when you close a sentence? Maybe you do. Have you tried to use Multiterm with Trados and/or have experienced problems doing so?

Alexandra Speirs
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
opening new one Mar 4, 2009

Sorry, it's not when I close one, it's when I open a new one.
I don't know what Multiterm is..... I still have a lot to learn, I'm afraid.
No errors on the status bar anyway.

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Alexandra Speirs wrote:

Hm... I think there could be something going wrong here with your Trados setup. I don't get any sound at all when closing a sentence... Do you see any error message in Translator's Workbench's Status bar when you close a sentence? Maybe you do. Have you tried to use Multiterm with Trados and/or have experienced problems doing so?

Alexandra Speirs
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 4, 2009

Thanks, I found the sound, there isn't a specific one for Trados, it's just Windows Message 2. It's probably associated with lots of other things, so I'm not going to risk changing it. I'll just have to put up with the non-musical accompaniment!

Rie Matsuda wrote:

Hi Alexandra,

Rie

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Try this Mar 4, 2009

Alexandra Speirs wrote:

Can you check whether you see a checkmark in Translator's Workbench > menu Options > "Term recognition". If it has a checkmark, it means that Trados is trying to use a Multiterm termbase which might not be available, thus generating a mistake and hence the sound. To disable that, simply select Options > Term recognition to disable it.

Alexandra Speirs
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
multiterm Mar 4, 2009

It says MultiTerm5
Under that there is Termbase location and a white box, nothing written in it,

Settings:
Minimum match value 70%
Search depth 20

Run terminology recognition in the background is checked

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Alexandra Speirs wrote:

Can you check whether you see a checkmark in Translator's Workbench > menu Options > "Term recognition". If it has a checkmark, it means that Trados is trying to use a Multiterm termbase which might not be available, thus generating a mistake and hence the sound. To disable that, simply select Options > Term recognition to disable it.

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 16:35
English to Spanish
That's for sure where the sound comes from Mar 6, 2009

Yeahp, that's it.

Tomás advice is right:
...If it has a checkmark, it means that Trados is trying to use a Multiterm termbase which might not be available, thus generating a mistake and hence the sound. To disable that, simply select Options > Term recognition to disable it.

Go on listening Bach!

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I meant right in the Options menu... Mar 6, 2009

Alexandra Speirs wrote:
Run terminology recognition in the background is checked

I meant whether the option "Term recognition" right in the Options menu of Translator's Workbench. If that has a tick mark on the left, choose the option to disable the mark. That should help.

[Edited at 2009-03-06 08:50 GMT]

Alexandra Becker
Alexandra Becker
Germany
English to German
+ ...
sound effects Studio 2022 Jul 5, 2022

Dear all,
I found this very old thread but it describes more or less the same problem I have with Studio 2022 (I had the same problem with Studio 2019 but I lived with it).
I also have sound effects regularly but I cannot tell you when exactly. Sometimes when I confirm and go to next segment, sometimes as error warning.
Any idea what I can do?
Thank you!
Best
Alexandra

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Windows settings? Jul 5, 2022

I would look into the sound settings of Windows and try to switch off one-by-one sound messages associated with the numerous events. One of them could be co-associated with the function (or key combination) you use in Studio.

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Are you dependent on having sound? Jul 5, 2022

Alexandra Becker wrote:
Dear all,
Sometimes when I confirm and go to next segment, sometimes as error warning. Any idea what I can do?
Thank you!
Best
Alexandra

Why I ask, is because I in general have all sound turned off, as I don't see any need for them. Only if I want to see a video of some sort or chat with someone, do I turn on the sound. Seems the simplest way to me.

Roy

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 01:35
English to Russian
System sounds Jul 5, 2022

I often use Alt+F7 functionality to add words into my autotext list. Trados offers a stupid choice: either you use the mouse to click OK with no sound, or you can double press Enter to the same effect but with that annoying system sound. I tried to find a fix for that half-assed feature, but the only solution for me was to turn volume down for all system sounds.
To this effect, press Win+R, type sndvol, pre
... See more
I often use Alt+F7 functionality to add words into my autotext list. Trados offers a stupid choice: either you use the mouse to click OK with no sound, or you can double press Enter to the same effect but with that annoying system sound. I tried to find a fix for that half-assed feature, but the only solution for me was to turn volume down for all system sounds.
To this effect, press Win+R, type sndvol, press Enter and turn the slider down to 5 for example (but not to zero so that you still can hear other sounds that you may need to hear).

Update: I also tried to make Trados appear in the sound settings pane to set it to zero but it did not change the Alt+F7 sound volume. It only controls the volume of a video file in the Studio Subtitling app.

[Edited at 2022-07-05 15:01 GMT]
Collapse

Alexandra Speirs
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
resurrected Jul 5, 2022

I see my old thread has been resurrected.
I don't think I ever solved the issue, but it certainly disappeared when I upgraded the program, no sound effects at all now!

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 01:35
English to Russian
Thank you all. Finally I made it to the right location Jul 5, 2022

RieM wrote:
Check the Sounds tab of the Sounds Control Panels
Thank you Rie. Finally I have found the culprit sound.
Win+I > System > Sound > Sound Control Pane (a link on the right) > Sounds tab > Standard sound (Windows Background.wav by default) > switch to None.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

eliminating trados sound effects

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »