https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/129364-endnote_software_and_trados%3A_advice_for_handling_the_references.html

EndNote software and Trados: advice for handling the references?
Thread poster: Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:01
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 6, 2009

I use Trados (version 6) and Word 2003/Windows XP.

I have a text to translate and the author has told me that the references have been created with EndNote.

The references are coded between squiggly brackets, 2 on each side, and the references go grey when I place the cursor over them.

Although I have already experimented and it seems that all I have to do is copy source and overwrite the text, leaving the refs untouched, I'm still worried that once I have
... See more
I use Trados (version 6) and Word 2003/Windows XP.

I have a text to translate and the author has told me that the references have been created with EndNote.

The references are coded between squiggly brackets, 2 on each side, and the references go grey when I place the cursor over them.

Although I have already experimented and it seems that all I have to do is copy source and overwrite the text, leaving the refs untouched, I'm still worried that once I have completed the whole translation, I may find that the codes will be screwed up.

Has anybody got any advice based on previous experience?

Thanks

Ailish

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-03-06 13:48 GMT]
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Ailish Mar 6, 2009

I have been using EndNote since many years while writing scientific papers. This is really a great tool for maintaining the bibliography, however I must say that not a single scientific journal would accept a manuscript with EndNote field codes. The first thing that an author needs to do when the manuscript is ready for submission, is embedding the references by "selecting all" and pressing alt+ctrl+F9.

I doubt that Trados would be able to swallow EndNote field codes; my suggestion
... See more
I have been using EndNote since many years while writing scientific papers. This is really a great tool for maintaining the bibliography, however I must say that not a single scientific journal would accept a manuscript with EndNote field codes. The first thing that an author needs to do when the manuscript is ready for submission, is embedding the references by "selecting all" and pressing alt+ctrl+F9.

I doubt that Trados would be able to swallow EndNote field codes; my suggestion would be embedding the references and then perform the translation. Perhaps it would be fine to let your customer know.

Natalia

[Edited at 2009-03-06 20:45 GMT]
Collapse

Lia Fail (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
what I did, but ... Mar 6, 2009

Natalie wrote:

... not a single scientific journal would accept a manuscript with EndNote field codes. The first thing that an author needs to do when the manuscript is ready for submission, is embedding the references by "selecting all" and pressing alt+ctrl+F9.

I doubt that Trados would be able to swallow EndNote field codes; my suggestion would be embedding the references and then perform the translation. Perhaps it would be fine to let your customer know.

Natalia

[Edited at 2009-03-06 20:45 GMT]

Thanks Natalia.

The intention isn't that the codes would remain. The idea is that I translate with the codes, then my author will update them by applying the software.

However, since he knows nothing about Trados and I know nothing about how EndNote works, we have a dilemma, and I'm afraid to start the job, as from previous experience, Trados likes standard text (like me!).

The problem about embedded references is that those are a sort of code too.

What I did was translate a paragraph with the codes (copied as is), cleaned it up, then sent it to the author to see if he could apply EndNote successfully.

I just checked your profile and see you do use Trados.

Could I ask you to look at the issue from the standpoint of someone who is used to using Trados/translating but who also happens to be familiar with EndNote and tell me what you would recommend I do (as someone unfamiliar with EndNote) or ask the author to do (as someone unfamiliar with Trados) to deal with the text?

Ailish

[Edited at 2009-03-06 21:41 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-03-06 23:27 GMT]

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Well, you seem to have misunderstood my posting above Mar 7, 2009

or maybe I was unclear. When you select all text and press ctrl+alt+F9, all references in the text, as well at the reference list in the end are converted into plain text. This was what I would recommend you to do.

Natalia

P.S. What did the codes look like in the cleaned paragraph?

[Edited at 2009-03-07 00:16 GMT]

Lia Fail (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
seems to work OK Mar 7, 2009

Natalie wrote:

or maybe I was unclear. When you select all text and press ctrl+alt+F9, all references in the text, as well at the reference list in the end are converted into plain text. This was what I would recommend you to do.

Natalia

P.S. What did the codes look like in the cleaned paragraph?

[Edited at 2009-03-07 00:16 GMT]

I don't think you were unclear, it's simply that I don't know enough:-)

The author replied (I thought I wouldn't hear from him until Monday). Although he told me it was EndNote, now he says it's RefWorks, but I imagine they are very similar.

When I cleaned the paragraph the codes looked intact, exactly as they had been in the source text. I sent that cleaned sample to the author and he has confirmed that he has been able to reformat the references OK. In the text he sent back to me, all the coded references have been converted to numbers (that grey over when the cursor is held over them) in chronological order and an ordered list has appeared below the text.

If all the references in the text and at the end were converted to plain text, as you suggested, can I assume they can easily be reconverted into coded references?

Thanks for your patience and help:-)

Ailish

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

EndNote software and Trados: advice for handling the references?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »