Editing finished translation with TagEditor
Thread poster: Becky Katz

Becky Katz  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:31
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 9, 2009

I'm not sure if this question has been asked/answered before, so forgive any duplication, but I can't find the answer.

I'm working with SDL Trados 2007. Kind of new at using both Trados and TagEditor. I finished the translation in TagEditor and now would like to review segment by segment to proofread the translation. I no longer have all the buttons enabled (Open, Open/Get, etc.). The only one that's enabled is the one with the "(", which I forget what it's called, I think "Open." I can review the translation and make changes, but it's not letting me go through the segments automatically one by one consecutively (with the shortcut Alt and plus sign from the number keypad); I have to open them manually. Perhaps I hit the wrong button when I reached the end.

Is there a way out? Your help would be appreciated.

Direct link Reply with quote

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 03:31
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Lost connection with the TM? Mar 9, 2009

Hi Becky,

the first things coming to my mind are either that your TM has "lost connection" with TagEditor (is the TWB symbol blue or greyed out?) or that you might have clicked on one of the tab on the bottom part of TE (are you still in edit mode?)

?

Giuliana

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 04:31
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
You can edit Mar 10, 2009

You must either go to the segment you want to edit and press Alt+Home, so that source and target are active, or you can remove target protection and use the Search and Replace function and otherwise edit the target segments. After you have finished you must update the tm by going through the whole file using translate to fuzzy and confirming the changes or updating the file in Workbench (cleanup).
Nowadays I have protection removed all the time, so that I can make changes whenever I see it necessary. But the changes go not to the tm, so you have to update that separately,

For working in Tageditor you don't need Workbench, so that should make no difference.

Regards
Heinrich

[Bearbeitet am 2009-03-10 08:09 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:31
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same thoughts Mar 10, 2009

Giuliana Buscaglione wrote:
the first things coming to my mind are either that your TM has "lost connection" with TagEditor (is the TWB symbol blue or greyed out?) or that you might have clicked on one of the tab on the bottom part of TE (are you still in edit mode?)

Exactly.

Becky Katz  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:31
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! It resolved itself Mar 10, 2009

Thanks to everyone! I shut down the computer and then started working on the file again, and it was ok. I think it was what Giuliana and Tomás said, that I had lost the connection to the TM.

Does anyone know how to re-connect it other than shutting down the program and restarting it?

Thanks again for the help.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Editing finished translation with TagEditor

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs