Thread poster: Laurent Slowack

Laurent Slowack  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:24
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 10, 2009

Hello,

Using Trados 7 on ttx files, I have bilingual files that do not cleanup.
The above error mentioned appears and no target file is originated. I tried with an empty TM, but to no avail.
Help is very appreciated due to deadline, as usual, I guess...

Direct link Reply with quote

Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:24
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Have you moved/renamed the original file? Mar 10, 2009

Cleanup will not work if you don't have the original file in the original directory as the ttx file. If you renamed the file, after you created the ttx, that also causes this error.

I assume you have a copy of the original file somewhere - worst case you can open that in Tageditor and run it through the TM, then clean it up. (Make a backup copy of the original, before you do this, just in case.)

Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
'Translate' works Cleanup not Mar 10, 2009

Hello Katalin,

Indeed there was a mix-up of files and names.
However, with a copy of the original in a new folder the 'translate' function works perfectly, not so the 'cleanup'.
Any last help on this one?
Many thanks.

Trinh Do  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2007)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Error in Tag-Editor: Unable to locate original file Mar 10, 2009

Hello Katalin,

I've had this problem before because I rename the ttx file. I suggest you reload the original/ source file and use the corresponding .ttx filename (without renaming). Then do the cleanup and rename or save as a backup/copy the cleaned up file. You may save the .ttx file under a new name in case there is some confusion for your client.

The original file still remains in your email inbox and can be reloaded if necessary.
Good luck.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 02:24
English to Czech
+ ...
TagEditor over-sensitive Mar 10, 2009

Don't rename, move or copy your TTX or the original files. If you do that, TE will not clean the files up because it will point to to non-existent files. But theres some help:

1. Open the TTX in the Notepad
2. In the file header, find the tag SourceDocumentPath=""; e.g.
Code:

SourceDocumentPath="c:\Documents and Settings\current user\Documents\MyTranslations09\Projects\Project Name\Incoming\dummy_source_document_name.doc".

3. Edit this path to point to the original document from which the TTX was created.
4. Clean up.

Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Both original and translated file pointing to the same in header? Mar 10, 2009

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Don't rename, move or copy your TTX or the original files. If you do that, TE will not clean the files up because it will point to to non-existent files. But theres some help:

1. Open the TTX in the Notepad
2. In the file header, find the tag SourceDocumentPath=""; e.g.
Code:

SourceDocumentPath="c:\Documents and Settings\current user\Documents\MyTranslations09\Projects\Project Name\Incoming\dummy_source_document_name.doc".

3. Edit this path to point to the original document from which the TTX was created.
4. Clean up.

I don't get out, but this notice is being helpful, I believe.
I'm not sure, however, if both documents need the same source document path to be able to clean up, and what is more: to the original source placement, or where both documents are stored on my computer now?
Any help is welcome.

Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:24
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Tageditor cleanup will REPLACE your original file Mar 11, 2009

You are probably used to working with MS Word and Workbench, where
1. you have the original doc file (let's call it Source.doc), then
2. you get a bilingual tagged doc file while you are translating (it is also called Source.doc), and
3. after the cleanup, you will get the target text in the Source.doc file and a backup of the bilingual file in Source.BAK.

When you work in this setup, you can use "Save as" in Word during the translation process (Step 2) and save your bilingual file under a different name, let's say Bilingual.doc.
You are free to rename the original Source.doc to any name, it will not matter later on for the cleanup.
In this case, after the cleanup, the target text will be in Bilingual.doc, and the bilingual tagged file will be in Bilingual.BAK, but in addition to this, you will have the original Source.doc (or whatever you renamed it) as well.

The difference in Tageditor is that you should not rename or move the original file after you started translating it in Tageditor, even if you used the "Save Bilingual As" option. The reason is that Tageditor saves the original filename and path inside the ttx file (as pointed out by Stanislav). It is only logical that changing the name of the directory, or the parent directory of the directory where the file is will cause the same problem.

You can edit the path inside the ttx file, if needed (again, see Stanislav's comment), and it has to point to the original file. That means, that YES, the original will be OVERWRITTEN by the translation.

So, if you want to keep the original, the correct workflow is to make a copy of the original file right away, when you get it, with a different name (add _original_backup to the filename, or something). Then proceed with the original file (not the backup), open it in Tageditor, translate it, then clean it (see above). It should work.

Katalin

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
How can I know? Mar 12, 2009

Laurent Slowack wrote:
...and what is more: to the original source placement, or where both documents are stored on my computer now?
Any help is welcome.

Dear Laurent, your documents are stored exactly where you saved them. I can't see your harddrive; sorry.

[Upraveno: 2009-03-12 11:51 GMT]

Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
With thanks Mar 12, 2009

I wish to express thanks to both helpful comments, from Stan and Katalin, because I was not aware of the heading problem or renaming files in TagEditor. I wonder if Trados 7 is the only one, and later versions don't present such problems any longer.
The files were converted from word into ttx with a .doc.ttx extension, and I noticed in Notepad that they were keeping their original heading pointers, even on my computer. I believe other ttx (xml) don't do that.
In any case, the files were delivered, though cleanup was performed on the original computer, not on mine.
Best of luck

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
You're welcome Mar 12, 2009

Providing help is why communities exist.
Anyway, I use the most recent Trados version (863) and the problem is still the same. In fact, Trados has only changed very little since v. 7.

Vadim Kadyrov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 03:24
English to Russian
+ ...
And what if I deleted the original file? Nov 12, 2010

Are there any possibility to clean the txt file?

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Why should you delete the original file? Nov 12, 2010

But if you really did, then you cannot produce target translation from a ttx file.
If you want to produce target translation from TTX you MUST have the original file.

Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
I deleted the original file Nov 13, 2010

I had to copy the text from the ttx file into a txt file. After that I saved the txt file as an html file (to see the text without tags). The html file contained both ST and TT. Then I copied the text from the html file into a word file. And then I manually deleted ST.

It was very difficult to do, but that is the only way to do that if you have deleted an original file.

Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Sometimes it occurs Nov 13, 2010

It sometimes occurs when you delete files.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I do not understand a word... Nov 13, 2010

Vadim Kadyrov wrote:

I had to copy the text from the ttx file into a txt file. After that I saved the txt file as an html file (to see the text without tags). The html file contained both ST and TT. Then I copied the text from the html file into a word file. And then I manually deleted ST.

It was very difficult to do, but that is the only way to do that if you have deleted an original file.

Sorry, but regardless why and how you did, I never can understand beeing so careless to delete the original file instead of storing it in one folder and your translation in a different folder...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error in Tag-Editor: Unable to locate original file

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs