HTML tags in Excel spreadsheet are not converted in TagEditor
Thread poster: Robert Schlarb

Robert Schlarb  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:32
German to English
+ ...
Mar 10, 2009

From a customer I have received a CMS database export (MySQL) as a CSV file. I have figured out that the column delimiter ist '|' and am able to convert the text file to XLS (Office XP). In many of the cells there are HTML tags which define web content appearance (e.g. list items with
  • or breaks with
    ) and HTML characters (e.g. ä). When I open the file in TagEditor (SDL Trados 2007), the Excel table structure is faithfully represented with tags but not the HTML features. E.g.:
  • hohe Säule
  • Wiegebasis weiß pulver-beschichtet
  • Wasserwaage und Stellfüße

• appears between cf tags.
    When opening the XLS in TagEditor I have all sorts of tag settings files defined, including Predefined HTML Settings and Excel 2003 Spreadsheets.
    How can I force TagEditor to recognize the HTML elements as well?

Direct link Reply with quote

Zoltán Kulcsár  Identity Verified
    English to Hungarian
    as far as I know... Mar 10, 2009

you cannot do that in TagEditor, and this makes sense, after all you are not working with a HTML file.

What you can do (and I do this regularly) is to use a word editor with advanced search&replace function to assign a tag-style, e.g. tw4wininternal, to the parts that contain HTML descriptors.

For example if all desciptors are contanined within < and >, you can search in MS Word for \ wildcards expression, and replace all matches with tw4wininternal style. After this TagEditor will recognize these as internal tags

edit: apparently HTML tags cause confusion on this page too, the expression in my example is \ < * \ > without spaces

[Módosítva: 2009-03-10 09:47 GMT]

tectranslate ITS GmbH
    German
    + ...
    Embedded markup Mar 10, 2009

You may want to check out this thread and the one it links to:
    http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/104366-xml_files_with_tageditor:_does_not_include_some_tags_as_such.html

HTH,

Benjamin

German to English
    + ...
    TOPIC STARTER
    Fine, but... Mar 10, 2009

Benjamin:
    Thank you for drawing my attention to the snippet editor.
    I tried it out by defining a couple of tags for the sections and these were properly displayed in TagEditor. However, when I saved the TTX as a target file, the tags were gone, i.e. instead of
    there was nothing. Did I do something wrong?

Thanks for your help
    Robert

tectranslate ITS GmbH
    German
    + ...
    Hmm... Mar 10, 2009

I must admit I've never used the plugin myself. I just fiddled around with it and didn't get very far, not even in TagEditor.

edit: Others have had good results with it, though.

I think the problem may be that TagEditor thinks your BRs are Excel linebreaks. Wouldn't really know how to fix that - do the other tags work in the target file?

B

[Edited at 2009-03-10 11:26 GMT]

Yossi Rozenman  Identity Verified
    Israel
    Local time: 03:32
    English to Hebrew
    + ...
    If you want, send me the file Mar 10, 2009

and I'll see what can be done. I have quite a lot of experience in dealing with all kind of "strange" files.

My e-mail is yossi@rozenman.com

German to English
    + ...
    TOPIC STARTER
    Re lost tags Mar 10, 2009

B:
    While '*br /*' was actually rendered as a break within the Excel column, '*li*' and '*/li*' just appear to have been omitted. Might it be that a corresponding export definition is needed to have these tags returned to the target file?
    * = angular brackets; no idea how to not write HTML here!

Yossi:
    Thanks for your offer, I am now waiting for a better, simpler source file from my customer with hopefully fewer HTML tags. Let's wait and see.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

HTML tags in Excel spreadsheet are not converted in TagEditor

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
    Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
    Wordfast Pro
    Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
    • All of ProZ.com
    • Term search
    • Jobs