Mobile menu

HTML tags in Excel spreadsheet are not converted in TagEditor
Thread poster: Robert Schlarb

Robert Schlarb  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:12
German to English
+ ...
Mar 10, 2009

From a customer I have received a CMS database export (MySQL) as a CSV file. I have figured out that the column delimiter ist '|' and am able to convert the text file to XLS (Office XP). In many of the cells there are HTML tags which define web content appearance (e.g. list items with
  • or breaks with
    ) and HTML characters (e.g. ä). When I open the file in TagEditor (SDL Trados 2007), the Excel table structure is faithfully represented with tags but not the HTML features. E.g.:
  • hohe Säule
  • Wiegebasis weiß pulver-beschichtet
  • Wasserwaage und Stellfüße

• appears between cf tags.
    When opening the XLS in TagEditor I have all sorts of tag settings files defined, including Predefined HTML Settings and Excel 2003 Spreadsheets.
    How can I force TagEditor to recognize the HTML elements as well?

Direct link Reply with quote

Zoltán Kulcsár  Identity Verified
    English to Hungarian
    as far as I know... Mar 10, 2009

you cannot do that in TagEditor, and this makes sense, after all you are not working with a HTML file.

What you can do (and I do this regularly) is to use a word editor with advanced search&replace function to assign a tag-style, e.g. tw4wininternal, to the parts that contain HTML descriptors.

For example if all desciptors are contanined within < and >, you can search in MS Word for \ wildcards expression, and replace all matches with tw4wininternal style. After this TagEditor will recognize these as internal tags

edit: apparently HTML tags cause confusion on this page too, the expression in my example is \ < * \ > without spaces

[Módosítva: 2009-03-10 09:47 GMT]

tectranslate ITS GmbH
    German
    + ...
    Embedded markup Mar 10, 2009

You may want to check out this thread and the one it links to:
    http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/104366-xml_files_with_tageditor:_does_not_include_some_tags_as_such.html

HTH,

Benjamin

German to English
    + ...
    TOPIC STARTER
    Fine, but... Mar 10, 2009

Benjamin:
    Thank you for drawing my attention to the snippet editor.
    I tried it out by defining a couple of tags for the sections and these were properly displayed in TagEditor. However, when I saved the TTX as a target file, the tags were gone, i.e. instead of
    there was nothing. Did I do something wrong?

Thanks for your help
    Robert

tectranslate ITS GmbH
    German
    + ...
    Hmm... Mar 10, 2009

I must admit I've never used the plugin myself. I just fiddled around with it and didn't get very far, not even in TagEditor.

edit: Others have had good results with it, though.

I think the problem may be that TagEditor thinks your BRs are Excel linebreaks. Wouldn't really know how to fix that - do the other tags work in the target file?

B

[Edited at 2009-03-10 11:26 GMT]

Yossi Rozenman  Identity Verified
    Israel
    Local time: 08:12
    English to Hebrew
    + ...
    If you want, send me the file Mar 10, 2009

and I'll see what can be done. I have quite a lot of experience in dealing with all kind of "strange" files.

My e-mail is yossi@rozenman.com

German to English
    + ...
    TOPIC STARTER
    Re lost tags Mar 10, 2009

B:
    While '*br /*' was actually rendered as a break within the Excel column, '*li*' and '*/li*' just appear to have been omitted. Might it be that a corresponding export definition is needed to have these tags returned to the target file?
    * = angular brackets; no idea how to not write HTML here!

Yossi:
    Thanks for your offer, I am now waiting for a better, simpler source file from my customer with hopefully fewer HTML tags. Let's wait and see.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

HTML tags in Excel spreadsheet are not converted in TagEditor

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

WordFinder
    The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
    Wordfast Pro
    Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
    • All of ProZ.com
    • Term search
    • Jobs