How to auto-replace words by a tag in Tageditor
Thread poster: PeterGeng
PeterGeng
PeterGeng
English to Chinese
Mar 11, 2009

Hi everybody,
This is a message from Shanghai China.

I had a problem today when translating a xml file with trados tageditor. I meant to replace some specific product names automatically with a single tag marker . But after the reach&replace, no tag appeared, only text said above () showed in the place of the product names.

By the way the xml file was compiled with Arbortext, the tag might be unique with Arbortext too.

Thank you very much for any su
... See more
Hi everybody,
This is a message from Shanghai China.

I had a problem today when translating a xml file with trados tageditor. I meant to replace some specific product names automatically with a single tag marker . But after the reach&replace, no tag appeared, only text said above () showed in the place of the product names.

By the way the xml file was compiled with Arbortext, the tag might be unique with Arbortext too.

Thank you very much for any suggestion / comments. Thank you all..

Peter Geng

Just found arrow bracket (the tag marker) does not seem to be supported here in the forum:

i meant to say this in original message:
... a single tag marker [rpph type="product"]...only text said above ([rpph type="product"/]) ...

[Edited at 2009-03-12 00:31 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-03-12 01:42 GMT]
Collapse

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 01:05
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
There should be tokens... Mar 11, 2009

In such documents, the brands are usually replaced with tokens. It is done before the translation and the tokens are often untranslatable and unchangeable tags... (I always receive files already with tokens...)
I think the corresponding rule (to detect tokens) is to be present in the TagEditor ini-file...

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
Local time: 00:05
German
+ ...
Adding Tags? Mar 11, 2009

Also, you do realize that you cannot just type new tags into the file via TagEditor, I hope?

If you do that, the angled brackets will be encoded as < and >, creating a big old mess and not doing what you intended to achieve at all.

If you have to find & replace text to add tags in the files, I highly recommend you do this in the untranslated file prior to translationuntranslated file prior to translation (using an XML or text editor).

HTH,

Benjamin
Collapse

PeterGeng
PeterGeng
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
To edit in RTF?? Mar 12, 2009

Thank you Tectranslate, i guess it's something to do with the original file and found an article posted the forum in 2006, "A TagEditor Secret". It sayes to convert ttx file into RTF format, and edit it with word!

Tried that, and was successful to insert the tag [rpph type="product"], but there's alway some problems when tring to edit.

Guess i need some more time to make it work!

And thanks Sergei, what is a token? how do i work with that?

... See more
Thank you Tectranslate, i guess it's something to do with the original file and found an article posted the forum in 2006, "A TagEditor Secret". It sayes to convert ttx file into RTF format, and edit it with word!

Tried that, and was successful to insert the tag [rpph type="product"], but there's alway some problems when tring to edit.

Guess i need some more time to make it work!

And thanks Sergei, what is a token? how do i work with that?

Here is the steps the article suggested and i followed:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So I just tried the first reasonably simple procedure to see what would happen:

1. Open the *.TTX file using TagEditor
2. From the main menu, select Edit -> Select All
(Please wait till you see the end of file highlighted)
3. Select Edit -> Copy
(This will copy it to Windows clipboard)
4. Open MS Word (or your favorite RTF word processor but I have not tried this)
5. In MS Word, select Edit -> Paste.
6. In MS Word, select File -> Save As
(You can use the same filename but instead of *.TTX use *.RTF as the suffix)

(by Pavel Blann)
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 00:05
English to Czech
+ ...
Inserting angle brackets Mar 12, 2009

This should work:
ampersandgtsemicolon for >
ampersandltsemicolon for <

Just for info.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to auto-replace words by a tag in Tageditor

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »