Mixed processing of Word files with Trados 2006 and Trados 2007
Thread poster: Birgit Hofmann
Birgit Hofmann
Birgit Hofmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:08
English to German
Mar 11, 2009

We'll soon switch to the new Office Package 2007 and therefore had to upgrade to Trados 2007 Suite Pro as SDL said there's a compatibility problem with Workbench 7.5 and Word 2007.

At the moment, both Trados versions are installed on our PCs.

But what to do after the new Office package is installed?
SDL writes: "SDL recommends that you use the same version of the software to translate files from start to finish. Migrating files from an earlier to a later version
... See more
We'll soon switch to the new Office Package 2007 and therefore had to upgrade to Trados 2007 Suite Pro as SDL said there's a compatibility problem with Workbench 7.5 and Word 2007.

At the moment, both Trados versions are installed on our PCs.

But what to do after the new Office package is installed?
SDL writes: "SDL recommends that you use the same version of the software to translate files from start to finish. Migrating files from an earlier to a later version of the software when the project has already started may result in data inconsistencies."

We'll still have to process and use previous translations (in Word) processed with Workbench 7.5 in the future.

Is there a workaround for updating files created in the old Word version (with Trados 2006) with the new word + Workbench 8.0? Will the file be destroyed or the TM be affected?
Thanks a lot!
Birgit
Collapse

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Migrating Mar 11, 2009

I'm not sure I understand this right. Are you saying you will receive bilingual files in Word and will need to update them and perform cleanups with them?

I think that should work if you enable the Trados toolbar in Word 2007. Here's a thread with information on troubleshooting that fea
... See more
I'm not sure I understand this right. Are you saying you will receive bilingual files in Word and will need to update them and perform cleanups with them?

I think that should work if you enable the Trados toolbar in Word 2007. Here's a thread with information on troubleshooting that feature:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/104519-trados_doesnt_show_up_in_word_2007_anymore.html

What you're not supposed to do is to start translating in Trados TagEditor version 7.5 and then try to finish the job and clean up the file in Trados 2007 SP2, but of course, you can keep using your old TMs for future jobs.

It should be noted, however, that TM leverage will suffer when you migrate from the legacy Word-based process to the current TagEditor XML-based process. That is, you will get fewer matches even though you may have translated the relevant segments before. This is due to the difference in the handling of formatting information between the legacy and XML processes. One uses RTF to describe formatting, the other uses tags.

Currently, there is no way around that problem.

HTH,

Benjamin
Collapse

Birgit Hofmann
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
What would you recommend? Mar 18, 2009

tectranslate wrote:

I think that should work if you enable the Trados toolbar in Word 2007. Here's a thread with information on troubleshooting that feature:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/104519-trados_doesnt_show_up_in_word_2007_anymore.html

What you're not supposed to do is to start translating in Trados TagEditor version 7.5 and then try to finish the job and clean up the file in Trados 2007 SP2, but of course, you can keep using your old TMs for future jobs.

It should be noted, however, that TM leverage will suffer when you migrate from the legacy Word-based process to the current TagEditor XML-based process. That is, you will get fewer matches even though you may have translated the relevant segments before. This is due to the difference in the handling of formatting information between the legacy and XML processes. One uses RTF to describe formatting, the other uses tags.

Currently, there is no way around that problem.

HTH,

Benjamin

Thanks a lot, Benjamin. I'll try to clarify this. We now use Trados 7.5 and will soon have to change over to 8.0. After changing to the new Office package, we won't be able to use 7.5 anymore, at least that's what I thought.

However, if our reviewers communicate their change requests (PDF/handwritten/by phone) after the switch, we'll somehow have to get this info into our TM and provide the customer with a clean file.

We assumed that we could simply open the TMs created with 7.5 with the new Workbench version, then open the "old" (bilingual) Word files and implement the changes.

But if I understand you correctly, I mustn't open a Word file - to process it with SDL 8.0 - that was first processed with 7.5?
If this is not possible, we'd have to create monolingual (target text) files of all open translations (i.e. cleanup) to be able to provide the customer with files that haven't got any tags in them, is that right? Which means I will only correct a "clean" word file and won't have the changes in my new TM.

I can't believe I'm the only one with this problem. Am I?

[Bearbeitet am 2009-03-18 10:07 GMT]

Birgit Hofmann
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
SDL says "no problem" Mar 18, 2009

Hello, I finally had an SDL person on the phone who gave me an answer. According to him, files processed with the old TM can be processed with the new one, but not vice versa.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mixed processing of Word files with Trados 2006 and Trados 2007

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »