Thread poster: chopra_2002

chopra_2002  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 08:27
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Mar 11, 2009

I am a new user of Trados and have Windows XP, MS Office 2003 and Trados 7.0. I am unable to clean a file translated by me by using TagEditor and the following message is shown in the Workbench:

Unable to locate original file.

Could you please guide me what is wrong and how to fix this problem?

Direct link Reply with quote

Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 05:57
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Put... Mar 11, 2009

... the original file to the same folder as the TTX-file...

Use the Search function and RTFM.

Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
Swedish
+ ...
Save as target text Mar 11, 2009

If you for instance have translated an RTF file with TagEditor, the bilingual file is now RTF.TTX. Save this file in "Target text only". If you have the original RTF file in the same directory (which is compulsory), Trados will ask you if you really want to overwrite the file. Select "yes" and off you go. After that you will have an RTF file in the target language, i.e. the translated text. Be sure that you have saved the original RTF (from client) in another directory as well.

Compared to Trados + Word, there is no real "clean up" within the combination Trados + TagEditor, as the main principle is to save as target text only.

Hope this helps.

Erik

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 04:57
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
"Save as target text" Mar 11, 2009

Erik Hansson wrote:

If you for instance have translated an RTF file with TagEditor, the bilingual file is now RTF.TTX. Save this file in "Target text only". ...

... that's fine, but the point is, the original file is necessary as well, next to TTX, in the same subdirectory (repeating the msg by Sergej);

Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:57
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Same problem is being discussed in another thread Mar 11, 2009

It is a good idea to browse the forums before posting a question, the answer may already be there:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/129640-error_in_tag_editor:_unable_to_locate_original_file.html#1074403

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unable to clean a file in TagEditor.

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs