Excessive tags in Word document
Thread poster: Paul Merriam
Paul Merriam  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:37
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
Mar 12, 2009

I have a file in MS Word 97-2003 format. I use Microsoft Word 2007. When I bring this document up in TagEditor in TRADOS 2007, there are several tags in each word, and when I move the cursor over the tags, I find that for practically every character there is a mention of the bolding, the kerning, the font, etc. with a tag after the character turning everything off followed by another tag on the next character turning all this on again. Can I play with the document or TagEditor to correct this problem?

Direct link Reply with quote

Paul Merriam  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:37
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Figured it out Mar 12, 2009

I highlighted the document, then set the font, kerning and several other parameters to the same all the way through. That solved the problem.

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 17:37
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Suggestion: Mar 12, 2009

Can I play with the document or TagEditor to correct this problem?

Avoid somehow Word 2003->2007 jump. I would for instance save the file under 2003 as RTF.

Tomás Cano Binder, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Looks like an OCR-ed document Mar 12, 2009

This looks to me like if the document was the result of OCR-ing some PDF or paper document. If this is the case, ask your customer for a PDF file of the document for you to see the format, and use Format > Font in Word to reapply the right fonts, bolds, italics, etc. as in the PDF document. This will get rid of the unnecessary tags created by the OCR software.

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:37
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
A similar issue was raised in OmegaT group Mar 12, 2009

For OmegaT, the following solution was found: save a Word 2007 file as RTF, re-open and re-save with Word 2003 as Word 2003, then convert to ODT. Obviously, for Trados, mere saving to RTF may bring about good results.

This will, however, help only if it is not an OCR-d document.

Nicole Maina  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2005)
German to Italian
+ ...
Code Zapper Lite Mar 12, 2009

Have you tried Code Zapper? I use it before importing docs into Déjà Vu, but I think it should work for Trados as well.

It reduces the number of codes by eliminating the useless ones. It works like a macro.

If you are interested I can explain you how to install it.

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Careful about Code Zapper Mar 12, 2009

Nicole Maina wrote:

Have you tried Code Zapper? I use it before importing docs into Déjà Vu, but I think it should work for Trados as well.

It reduces the number of codes by eliminating the useless ones. It works like a macro.

Yes (it IS a macro), CodeZapper is very interesting and I like the idea behind it, but it also eliminates quite a few tags that are not at all useless.

I tried that out a while ago and found that it was actually TOO thorough, so my advice is to steer clear of that and just set kerning etc. to equal values, as Paul suggested, and maybe replace all hyphenation marks with nada.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Excessive tags in Word document

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs