https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/129889-korean_wordcount_unit_by_trados_analyze.html

Korean Wordcount unit by TRADOS analyze
Thread poster: Lancelot_t
Lancelot_t
Lancelot_t
Local time: 12:50
English to Japanese
Mar 12, 2009

Hi all,

Let me ask something about Korean translation. I want to know what is the standard.

When I perform analyzing using TRADOS 2006 build 759 by Korean to Japanese TM, TRADOS generates an analyze log file which includes numbers of counts in a unit of WORDs.
However, for example, when I use Japanese to English TM for analyzing, the analyze log is counted by a unit of CHARACTERS.

My understanding is that TRADOS does analyzing based on a character cou
... See more
Hi all,

Let me ask something about Korean translation. I want to know what is the standard.

When I perform analyzing using TRADOS 2006 build 759 by Korean to Japanese TM, TRADOS generates an analyze log file which includes numbers of counts in a unit of WORDs.
However, for example, when I use Japanese to English TM for analyzing, the analyze log is counted by a unit of CHARACTERS.

My understanding is that TRADOS does analyzing based on a character count for character based languages, such as Japanese, Chinese, or Korean.
However, my TRADOS is generating a log based on WORD counts for Korean source TM.

Is this an exepcted behavior on TRADOS?
Which unit do Korean translators use for analyzing? Words ? Characters?
Collapse

October7
October7
English to Korean
Trados analyze Korean based on words Mar 12, 2009

Hi,

Trados analyze log will be automatically created by word count for Korean language not char count.
However, sometimes it may not accurate way to estimate translation efforts and costs. Therefore, many of translation companies(freelance) want to get their translation fee by total Korean char count not word count when they work with Korean to other language projects.

Anyway, Trados default is word count for Korean language and I can't find any option to change a
... See more
Hi,

Trados analyze log will be automatically created by word count for Korean language not char count.
However, sometimes it may not accurate way to estimate translation efforts and costs. Therefore, many of translation companies(freelance) want to get their translation fee by total Korean char count not word count when they work with Korean to other language projects.

Anyway, Trados default is word count for Korean language and I can't find any option to change analysis unit in the latest version of Trados.

Hope it will help...
Thanks,
Collapse

Lancelot_t
Lancelot_t
English to Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for the reply. Mar 13, 2009

Thank you October7,

That's interesting.
We were wondering on TRADOS's results of the analyzing, but cleared now.

Thank you!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Korean Wordcount unit by TRADOS analyze

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »