SDL Trados Re-installation on a new machine
Thread poster: Marine LORHO
Marine LORHO  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 02:17
English to French
+ ...
Mar 12, 2009

I've had to change my PC that has died miserably and therefore have tried to reinstall SDL Trados on my new machine.
I currently own the SDL Trados 7 freelance version, that I upgraded from SDL Trados 6. My OS is Windows XP.
The installation process seems to work just fine (i.e. I have no error message). My problem is when I try to launch SDLX, it won't find it and seems to be missing (there is indeed an icon for SDLX and its components, but a blank one (I mean, it's not the usual one) and if I click on it it doesn't lead anywhere. Tag Editor and the Workbench work however...
I have first installed the package from my SDL Trados 7 upgrade. I had the same symptoms. So I've gone back to install SDL Trados 6 and I have the same problem.
I have submitted my licence, changed it, resubmitted it. Deinstalled everything twice... Reinstalled everything twice... Re-downloaded the installer files from SDL site, reinstalled SDL Trados 6... Deactivated my Antivirus just in case it didn't like it... I don't know what to do next apart from tearing my hair out.

Do you have an idea of what's wrong with my installation?

Could you help?
Thank you for your help,
Marine

Direct link Reply with quote

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
SDLX.exe Mar 13, 2009

Search your harddrive for SDLX.exe (in my case it is stored under c:\Program Files\SDL International\SDLX\ but this will be different on your machine), right-click on the "blank icon" and point it to this file. That should do it.
If you can't find SDLX.exe, then the program is not installed and you will have to go through the installation process once more.

Marine LORHO  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved Mar 13, 2009

Thank you for your help.
I've solved the problem now. It was BidDefender (my AV) which was blocking the installation of SDLX. Everything works fine now.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Re-installation on a new machine

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs